• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey

Do you think Partey will sign for Arsenal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
He's only really just turned 27. He has 5 years at the very top, one last big contract and then 32 onwards he will probably start declining. 5 years out of a world class midfielder at £45M is fantastic business and exactly what we need.

Yeah 5 years out of him would make it good business, but there's no guarantee you get 5 good years out of him. Kante is 29 and his fitness and form isn't quite what it used to be. We bought Lacazette for 50m when he was 26, now he's 29 and he's showing signs of decline and no one will pay good money for him.

I mean if Arsenal actually have the money for it then I guess it's a gamble worth taking, but you've got to admit it's a gamble all the same.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It's okay to say spend £100m on a couple of players this window, they're investments, they'll pay for themselves in time with Top 4 / Champions League money etc

Look at how much money we've spent over the last 4-5 years, it's a huge amount. It's not like this is some novel idea and we haven't tried the spend money to make money route before.

It's okay thinking signing Partey and Aouar will get us top 4 but we probably all thought the same the season we signed Laca and Auba, or last year when we spent most of our budget on Pepe.

I'm not against buying these guys if we can, but it's a big risk given the financial circumstances. Partey and Aouar may help up to get top 4, but it's by no means a guarantee. Neither of these guys have played in the Premier League and one of them is a relatively inexperienced player. Thinking that they'd hit the ground running and get us top 4 this season is pretty hopeful.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Yeah 5 years out of him would make it good business, but there's no guarantee you get 5 good years out of him. Kante is 29 and his fitness and form isn't quite what it used to be. We bought Lacazette for 50m when he was 26, now he's 29 and he's showing signs of decline and no one will pay good money for him.

I mean if Arsenal actually have the money for it then I guess it's a gamble worth taking, but you've got to admit it's a gamble all the same.

Is Lacazette showing signs of decline? Nobody will pay 30-40M we want because he's on 180k a week. But I don't think he's showing signs of decline.

Partey for me isn't a gamble, ready made, CL level player who adds so much to our team. You're right, career ending injuries for example could stop progress. But I feel a midfielder like him easily has 5 years left at the highest level. Just my personal thoughts.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Right but can Arsenal spend 50m on medium-term options. 50m plus wages is a lot to spend on someone who might only give you three peak seasons, isn't it?

There's no reason to suggest Partey won't be top class well into his 30's. Defensive midfielders peak a lot later than other positions. Id expect at least 5 years of top class service from him.

Also, impacting the short and medium term impacts the long term. The quicker we are back in the CL, the quicker we can build a top class team.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
It's okay to say spend £100m on a couple of players this window, they're investments, they'll pay for themselves in time with Top 4 / Champions League money etc

Look at how much money we've spent over the last 4-5 years, it's a huge amount. It's not like this is some novel idea and we haven't tried the spend money to make money route before.

It's okay thinking signing Partey and Aouar will get us top 4 but we probably all thought the same the season we signed Laca and Auba, or last year when we spent most of our budget on Pepe.

I'm not against buying these guys if we can, but it's a big risk given the financial circumstances. Partey and Aouar may help up to get top 4, but it's by no means a guarantee.
All transfers are risks. And nothing guarantee you can say same for Chelsea or utd. But the important thing is we mix between sales and buys so we won't lose lot money like previous seasons

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

I'm not against buying these guys if we can, but it's a big risk given the financial circumstances. Partey and Aouar may help up to get top 4, but it's by no means a guarantee.

I think as fans we should leave the worrying about financial circumstances to the club. They aren't going to go under with a billionaire owner.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
There's no reason to suggest Partey won't be top class well into his 30's. Defensive midfielders peak a lot later than other positions. Id expect at least 5 years of top class service from him.

Also, impacting the short and medium term impacts the long term. The quicker we are back in the CL, the quicker we can build a top class team.

Sure in a perfect world you'd bring in Partey and Aouar right now, we'd get top 4 this season and then next summer we can really streamline the squad.

You could have a core of: Leno, Tierney, Gabriel, Saliba, Bellerin, AMN, Xhaka, Partey, Aouar, Ceballos, Saka, Auba, Willian, Pepe, plus some back-ups and the better academy kids. Much less bloated than our current squad, then kick on with CL.

I just don't think the timings match up though. We have too many players and too high a wage bill. For various reasons we can't get rid of players and can't reduce the wage bill properly till next summer, which would allow us to make a 100m investment in Partey and Aouar.

I don't see how we can make that 100m investment and wait a year to reduce costs elsewhere without doing some very clever/elaborate/dodgy accounting tricks.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Sure in a perfect world you'd bring in Partey and Aouar right now, we'd get top 4 this season and then next summer we can really streamline the squad.

You could have a core of: Leno, Tierney, Gabriel, Saliba, Bellerin, AMN, Xhaka, Partey, Aouar, Ceballos, Saka, Auba, Willian, Pepe, plus some back-ups and the better academy kids. Much less bloated than our current squad, then kick on with CL.

I just don't think the timings match up though. We have too many players and too high a wage bill. For various reasons we can't get rid of players and can't reduce the wage bill properly till next summer, which would allow us to make a 100m investment in Partey and Aouar.

I don't see how we can make that 100m investment and wait a year to reduce costs elsewhere without doing some very clever/elaborate/dodgy accounting tricks.

I agree with you, the squad is too big and we obviously won't do anything unless we shift a lot of them.

I just think Partey is the perfect signing for our midfield and have no concerns about his age or anything like that.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I agree with you, the squad is too big and we obviously won't do anything unless we shift a lot of them.

I just think Partey is the perfect signing for our midfield and have no concerns about his age or anything like that.

That's the thing, we currently have a squad of 32 players. Torreira, Kolasinac, Mustafi and Sokratis all have vaguely credible links to other clubs. So being optimistic let's say they all leave in the next two weeks. That's still a squad of 28 players. Could maybe loan out ESR, Willock or Nelson. But then if you're adding Partey and Aouar it's still a very big squad.

A big squad this year will be needed to a certain extent because of Europa League and the brutal schedule, but still, anything near 30 players is way too much in terms of wages for a club that relies heavily on gate receipts in a season potentially entirely behind closed doors.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That's the thing, we currently have a squad of 32 players. Torreira, Kolasinac, Mustafi and Sokratis all have vaguely credible links to other clubs. So being optimistic let's say they all leave in the next two weeks. That's still a squad of 28 players. Could maybe loan out ESR, Willock or Nelson. But then if you're adding Partey and Aouar it's still a very big squad.

A big squad this year will be needed to a certain extent because of Europa League and the brutal schedule, but still, anything near 30 players is way too much in terms of wages for a club that relies heavily on gate receipts in a season potentially entirely behind closed doors.

I think its more a registration issue, so i don't think the young players affect the incomings too much. I think the key will be shifting the likes of Kolasinac/Mustsfi/Chambers/Torreira/Sokratis.

Again though I dont really know anything about the clubs financial situation so this is all speculation.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Ornstein says we're more likely to sign Partey than Aouar because of the release clause.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Signing Partey will cost us more wages and fee 45m pound full cash and likely more than 120k a week in 4 years. Meanwhile Aouar will be paid in installment and wages will be likely much less than Partey. You know what just sign both.

Unless we get the two in, we will inevitably fall short off top-6 again. Top six:facepalm:
Currently, I think we are less stronger than at least 5 of the teams that finished above us. We all know Everton have since improved and will definitely finish at a better place than last time, probably top 6.
While Gabriel, Saliba and Willian could more or less improve us, we haven't improved on the area we needed to improve the most and I predict a serious spanking from the Champions is on course to evidence this.

For me, there is absolutely no alternative to buying the two if we wish to improve. Ideally, we should be letting Laca go and get Memphis or Eduard in along with the two, but I guess that would be too much to chew. Here's to hoping we got balls. Whatever it takes, get in P & A or we are fecked...... in the arse.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Unless we get the two in, we will inevitably fall short off top-6 again. Top six:facepalm:
Currently, I think we are less stronger than at least 5 of the teams that finished above us. We all know Everton have since improved and will definitely finish at a better place than last time, probably top 6.
While Gabriel, Saliba and Willian could more or less improve us, we haven't improved on the area we needed to improve the most and I predict a serious spanking from the Champions is on course to evidence this.

For me, there is absolutely no alternative to buying the two if we wish to improve. Ideally, we should be letting Laca go and get Memphis or Eduard in along with the two, but I guess that would be too much to chew. Here's to hoping we got balls. Whatever it takes, get in P & A or we are fecked...... in the arse.

You are severely under rating our current squad and how shoddy the teams around us actually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom