• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Top strikers in Arsenal history

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Drogba was a weird one. There's a few season in there where I think he had 5 league goals or something like that. But then the second it got to CL latter stages or maybe a cup game at Wembley he'd go Super Saiyan unplayable. Is that enough to justify him being classed as one of the all time great PL strikers? There's only two seasons, 07 and 10, where he was anywhere close to being prolific. Then there's a whole host of other league campaigns where his goal scoring record is pretty mediocre, like for what Chelsea signed him for, which was quite a lot of money back then there's times where you'd almost put him down as a flop but what he did in League Cup finals, FA Cup finals, semi-finals, CL games, winning them the CL arguably on his own and of course his excellent 09-10 season means that you can almost overlook his poor seasons because he's given them so much and contributed so much.

In his first two seasons in England he rotated with Eidur and Crespo, so the numbers he had then were good given his game time in the keague...I am pretty certain he spent most of 07-09 trying to leave Chelsea as he was unhappy Jose was sacked so that would probably explain those poor numbers...post 2010 think he just started to decline a bit, was still great in their Champions League 2012 campaign, but he had to pace himself more between games than he did before.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
This says strikers, which means Bergkamp is not no.1 for me. If the question was best attacking players, Bergkamp would be top. I want that to be clear.

1. Henry
2. Anelka
3. Wright
4. Van Rapist
5. Bergkamp
6. Aubameyang
7. Adebayor
8. Smudger
9. Kanu
10. Giroud

truth_hurts

Sanchez could have a shout to be honest, but he played mainly as a winger.

Sanchez would definitely be in top 10 attackers.

The contrast between this topic and our defenders topic is night and day.

truth_hurts

If you did an all time Arsenal top defenders list, including fullbacks, it would be amazing tbf.

You would have Bergkamp above Henry in an all time player list...where would you rank Paddy V?

In fairness, I was born in 1986, so missed a good chunk of when Arsenal were solid. Oy caught the back end of Graham's Arsenal.

Top 3 would be Bergkamp, Thierry and Vieira.

Not sure if I could rank one of Thierry or Vieira over the other.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

No way any sane person could have Bergkamp over Henry. Henry is our greatest player ever. He was the definition of elite. There was a period where for me he was THE best player on the planet. Untouchable. The awards didn't reflect it but who cares about them. At no stage where Owen or Nedved even fit to lace his boots nevermind be in the same conversation.

Bergkamp was great, changed the culture, was a fantastic player. Henry was something else tho. His consistency between 01-06 was absolutely extraordinary, a period of 5 straight seasons. I mean he got 20 assists in 02-03, how many strikers can score 30+ goals and still get 20 assists on top of that? We're talking extra-terrestrial stuff here. You might give Bergkamp an edge for the way he helped changed things, but for actual substance and what they did Henry was another level for me. He's by far and away our greatest ever player. His influence is also something else. How many young footballers talk about Henry being their hero? There's literally hundreds. That's the impact he had.

Riou

Henry is my favourite ever player, but I would have Vieira as our greatest player overall, Thierry would be our most famous.

Vieira was a freak, our best midfielder when we had the ball and our best midfielder to get the ball back, no one else can say that...plus no midfielder could beat him in a midfield 2 , best centre mid this country has seen, perfect mix of technical and physical skills...massive personality and leader too, miss him as a player so much.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
In his first two seasons in England he rotated with Eidur and Crespo, so the numbers he had then were good given his game time in the keague...I am pretty certain he spent most of 07-09 trying to leave Chelsea as he was unhappy Jose was sacked so that would probably explain those poor numbers...post 2010 think he just started to decline a bit, was still great in their Champions League 2012 campaign, but he had to pace himself more between games than he did before.

Watching his statistic,it wasn't that impressive at all in terms of scoring goals.In 2009-10 he was beast and scored 29 goals,but apart from that it wasn't that great.

Still think that he was proper EPL players and knew to step up in big matches.

truth_hurts

No way any sane person could have Bergkamp over Henry. Henry is our greatest player ever. He was the definition of elite. There was a period where for me he was THE best player on the planet. Untouchable. The awards didn't reflect it but who cares about them. At no stage where Owen or Nedved even fit to lace his boots nevermind be in the same conversation.

Bergkamp was great, changed the culture, was a fantastic player. Henry was something else tho. His consistency between 01-06 was absolutely extraordinary, a period of 5 straight seasons. I mean he got 20 assists in 02-03, how many strikers can score 30+ goals and still get 20 assists on top of that? We're talking extra-terrestrial stuff here. You might give Bergkamp an edge for the way he helped changed things, but for actual substance and what they did Henry was another level for me. He's by far and away our greatest ever player. His influence is also something else. How many young footballers talk about Henry being their hero? There's literally hundreds. That's the impact he had.

A lot of the great strikers in our top 10 had one constant - Bergkamp. They were at their best when he was at his best.

Thierry is my favourite player, but Bergkamp the best for me. Everything about his game was sublime.

truth_hurts

Drogba was a phenom. People forget that he played almost exclusively as a lone striker in defensive set ups. True big game player for club and country. He slammed Newcastle in the Europa league, whilst in France and from then you could see he was special.

Top 5 premier league wra striker for me. Granted some of his best work came in Europe, but what a player.

**** him though, he isn't Arsenal!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

A lot of the great strikers in our top 10 had one constant - Bergkamp. They were at their best when he was at his best.

Thierry is my favourite player, but Bergkamp the best for me. Everything about his game was sublime.

Henry scored 27 league goals in the 05-06 season and helped carry us to a CL final that season when Bergkamp was largely a substitute. He didn't play in the important games in the CL at all, he only made 4 appearances in total. Yet Henry was still producing his best. Scored at the Bernabeu, scored vs Juve, helped us beat Villarreal, assisted Campbell's goal.

I think Bergkamp was great, possibly just behind Henry. But Henry is undeniable.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Henry scored 27 league goals in the 05-06 season and helped carry us to a CL final that season when Bergkamp was largely a substitute. He didn't play in the important games in the CL at all, he only made 4 appearances in total. Yet Henry was still producing his best. Scored at the Bernabeu, scored vs Juve, helped us beat Villarreal, assisted Campbell's goal.

I think Bergkamp was great, possibly just behind Henry. But Henry is undeniable.

Miss when our French strikers weren't strippers and donkeys.

Riou

To be fair to Henry though, post Double in 2002, Henry did everything, goals and assists, he was everything in our attack for us in our Invincible season...Bergkamp and Pires were world class in 2002, but weren't at that same level in 2004...Pires was still pretty close to great, but Bergkanp couldn't do it like he used too...no shame in that , he was 34 during 03/04, he just didn't have the legs to perform at the same level he was from 1997-2002, when he was phenomenal.

Henry not winning a World Player of the Year at least once from 2002-2006 is such a crime, can't take the award seriously to this day because of this.

truth_hurts

I'm not going to create a case against Henry as I have too much love for the guy. I also agree in 2005/06 he should have win the Balon Dor.

I wonder who the former team mates regard as the best player between Vieira, Bergkamp and Thierry?

say yes

forum master baiter
How the fvck did Giroud and Lacazette manage to sneak their way into some posters' top 10 list?

Surely, it's an attempt at trolling?
Why would it be trolling? Lacazette was our player of the season last year, while both he and Olivier are ranked in the top ten of the most productive (mins / goals+assists) Arsenal players of the PL era.

I don’t think I’ve seen either of them ranked any higher than 8/9th, which seems completely fair to me given that this is an ‘in our lifetime’ award.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Why would it be trolling? Lacazette was our player of the season last year, while both he and Olivier are ranked in the top ten of the most productive (mins / goals+assists) Arsenal players of the PL era.

I don’t think I’ve seen either of them ranked any higher than 8/9th, which seems completely fair to me given that this is an ‘in our lifetime’ award.
Lacazette has only had one good season here.

Giroud cost us a couple of titles due to his penchant for going through scoreless streak during the critical part of the season.

Besides, none of them have ever had a 20 goal season in the PL

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Eduadro didnt have the best off the ball movement to get himself into goal scoring opportunities( Giroud was great at this but wasted so many chances). When Eduadro did get a chance, he buried it.

The best atmosphere at a game I've been to is Eduardo first match back after the leg break. A FA cup match against Cardif in which he scored twice. The whole of the Emirates didn't stop singing his name throughout the entire match despite going off.

That goal vs Burnley is one of the best goals of all time

say yes

forum master baiter
Lacazette has only had one good season here.

Giroud cost us a couple of titles due to his penchant for going through scoreless streak during the critical part of the season.

Besides, none of them have ever had a 20 goal season in the PL
What’s your list then mate?

Very interested in seeing you come up with all those 20 goal / season title-winning CFs we’ve obviously all forgotten.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Drogba was a phenom. People forget that he played almost exclusively as a lone striker in defensive set ups. True big game player for club and country. He slammed Newcastle in the Europa league, whilst in France and from then you could see he was special.

Top 5 premier league wra striker for me. Granted some of his best work came in Europe, but what a player.

**** him though, he isn't Arsenal!

Top 5? Seriously? I disagree. Top 50 I'd agree. Drogba just didn't do enough in most matches in during most of his seasons. Often went on long goal slumps. Drogba got his reputation due the few matches he did peform it was normally the big matches.

I mean just look at the gulf in difference between a PL player who doesnt get reffered to as one of greatest of all time by the media and is another targetman type like Drogba in Les Ferdinand.

Ferdinand made Drogba look weak and scrawny in comparison, not only that but Les was quicker and the much better dribbler of the two. Les was also obviously much better in the air than Drogba too.

Les was the more prolific goal scorer of the two.

Les had 3 x over 20+ league goal seasons compared to Drogbas 1.

Les had 2 x of seasons where he got 15- 19 league goal seasons compare to Drogba's 1.

truth_hurts

Top 5? Seriously? I disagree. Top 50 I'd agree. Drogba just didn't do enough in most matches in during most of his seasons. Often went on long goal slumps. Drogba got his reputation due the few matches he did peform it was normally the big matches.

I mean just look at the gulf in difference between a PL player who doesnt get reffered to as one of greatest of all time by the media and is another targetman type like Drogba in Les Ferdinand.

Ferdinand made Drogba look weak and scrawny in comparison, not only that but Les was quicker and the much better dribbler of the two. Les was also obviously much better in the air than Drogba too.

Les was the more prolific goal scorer of the two.

Les had 3 x over 20+ league goal seasons compared to Drogbas 1.

Les had 2 x of seasons where he got 15- 19 league goal seasons compare to Drogba's 1.

If there is one set of opposition fans that HAS TO respect Drogba, it has to be us!

Over 100 premier league goals as a lone striker, at a rate of nearly 1 in 2, in a defensive system, where Lampard took most of the penalties. Incredible striker.
Les Ferdinand was nowhere near him. Better in the air maybe, but that is it.

truth_hurts

There is zero context to Ferdinand's numbers. Yes he was good, prolific even, but next you're going to tell me Vardy was better than Drogba due to having more prolific scoring periods.

Drogba was genuinely unplayable at times. Top 5 for me is Henry, Aguero, Shearer, Drogba and Owen/Rooney.

Wasn't a huge Cantona fan, but he has a legitimate shout.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom