• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Top strikers in Arsenal history

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
If there is one set of opposition fans that HAS TO respect Drogba, it has to be us!

Over 100 premier league goals as a lone striker, at a rate of nearly 1 in 2, in a defensive system, where Lampard took most of the penalties. Incredible striker.
Les Ferdinand was nowhere near him. Better in the air maybe, but that is it.

Yes Drogba often caused us issues but so did Crouch and Carrol.

Why isnt Les better than Drogba?
- Physically stronger
- faster
,- beter dribbler
- bigger aerial threat
- much more prolitic goal scorer

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Yes Drogba often caused us issues but so did Crouch and Carrol.

Why isnt Les better than Drogba?
- Physically stronger
- faster
,- beter dribbler
- bigger aerial threat
- much more prolitic goal scorer

The only measurable you have there is more prolific, which while true isn't the be all and end all. I'd hazard a guess that Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Henry were operating at a similar goal scoring rate as Luis Ronaldo in Spain, but neither were better.

Drogba had better hold up play, touch, technique and most importantly A VASTLY HIGHER IMPACT than Les, Wrighty, Fowler, Vardy and the multitude of other top English strikers bar Shearer and Owen that the league has seen. I'd have Drogba above Owen.

Slower and weaker than Ferdinand? Not convinced.

Mitch

Drogba was genuinely unplayable at times. Top 5 for me is Henry, Aguero, Shearer, Drogba and Owen/Rooney.

Wasn't a huge Cantona fan, but he has a legitimate shout.

Henry, Bergkamp,Shearer, Cantona,RVP Suarez, Rooney, Aguero, Zola, RVN, Wright, Ferdinand, Fowler, York, Cole, Sheringham are just some off the top my head I would of taken over Drogba.

Drogba should be considered qmongst the Phillips and Adebayor aqnd not amongst r the above names.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Agbonlahor and Bent used to score loads against us too, our defence was just ass. :lol:

truth_hurts

Henry, Bergkamp,Shearer, Cantona,RVP Suarez, Rooney, Aguero, Zola, RVN, Wright, Ferdinand, Fowler, York, Cole, Sheringham are just some off the top my head I would of taken over Drogba.

Drogba should be considered qmongst the Phillips and Adebayor aqnd not amongst r the above names.

WOW! Suarez as impact in the Premier League? Nistelrooy has a good shout of being top 5. Drogba had an 8 year stretch where he was pivotal to a Chelsea side who broke the Arsenal and United stranglehold. He was just as key if not more than Terry and Lampard.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

truth_hurts

Agbonlahor and Bent used to score loads against us too, our defence was just ass. :lol:

I've never been as scared as an opposition fan by a player more than Drogba. He had our defenders on toast. Basically was Moutinho's tool to piss on Wenger.

Mitch

The only measurable you have there is more prolific, which while true isn't the be all and end all. I'd hazard a guess that Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Henry were operating at a similar goal scoring rate as Luis Ronaldo in Spain, but neither were better.

Drogba had better hold up play, touch, technique and most importantly A VASTLY HIGHER IMPACT than Les, Wrighty, Fowler, Vardy and the multitude of other top English strikers bar Shearer and Owen that the league has seen. I'd have Drogba above Owen.

Slower and weaker than Ferdinand? Not convinced.

Better touch than Les is true but he was hardly Wright or Vialli level of touch and technique never mind a Bergkamp or Cantona.

Its clear to Les was faster, a better dribbler and physically stronger (had about 3 stone of muscle on Drogba).

truth_hurts

Better touch than Les is true but he was hardly Wright or Vialli level of touch and technique never mind a Bergkamp or Cantona.

Its clear to Les was faster, a better dribbler and physically stronger (had about 3 stone of muscle on Drogba).

I rated Ferdinand a lot and thought Newcastle mistreated him after signing Shearer. I never thought a special player.

Drogba was definitely not a technical genius by any stretch. Some of the goals he scored though were elite.

Brilliant signing for Chelsea. I hated him!!!

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

...just to remind everyone, whom is sitting on top of the throne of strikers to play in England ;)

Kav

Established Member
I noticed a few posters making the argument that you can't include players like bergkamp in the list because they are not strikers.

What these posters are not understanding is that you cannot judge players of the past by the formations and tactics being used today.

Bergkamp was a Center forward or withdrawn forward. If you watched the team play you would understand. He wasn't the focal point like a Drogba, Vialli, Heskey, or Kane (to use a contemporary example).

ALSO his style of play was to drop deep to make passes when necessary almost like a traditional number 10. Back then teams usually played two forwards upfront and the term striker wasn't used very much.

IF we are going by that flawed logic then Henry would be a Wide Forward and Not a striker and would not qualify. However those of us who watched the games knew that Henry could play either side and up front alone. He often drifted wide left and attacked. He also switched flanks and played as if he was a Right Winger at times. His job was to score goals and he did that very well. Let us not get bogged down and discredit great players like Bergkamp or Sanchez.

Side Note:

Drogba was immense. A real BIG GAME player. I also liked Berbatov. I hated Van Nistelrooy but man he was deadly around the box and Shearer was damn good.

I have to mention Hasselbank as one of my favourite strikers. I had a soft spot for watching Zola play as a child. He and Le tissier scored great goals. Bergkamp, Le tissier and Zola they don't make them like that anymore.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
What’s your list then mate?

Very interested in seeing you come up with all those 20 goal / season title-winning CFs we’ve obviously all forgotten.
Stop changing what I said.

I never said they were bad because they weren't title winning CFs. Giroud and Laca are not good enough to make the Arsenal top 10 CF list
1. Henry
2. Dennis
3. RVP
4. Auba
5. Wright( I didn't watch him, only included him due to his record)
6. Anelka(Didn't watch him)
7. Adebayor
8. Sanchez
9.Eduardo(I didn't watch him for long, but the few times I watched him, he was verging on world class)
10. Don't Know

That's just my personal opinion. I don't think lacazette and Giroud is better than anyone on this list.

I'm a relatively new arsenal supporter (Born in 1993). I started supporting Arsenal in 2005.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Drogba was a great player. But I'll stop short of calling him a PL legend. He was a big game player. He scored in numerous cup finals. But his overall record was quite abysmal for a player of his reputation.

He tended to go missing for long periods but then went up a level when Chelsea played a big game.

He always annoyed me with his antics. For a player of his physical gift, he tended to go down on the slightest contact.

On Owen.

I think Owen is overrated. I watched clips of him. Other than his pace, there was nothing special.

How the feck did Owen win the ballon d'or. A player you'll agree with me is not even better than Auba

truth_hurts

Eduardo scored less than 20 goals for us. Having him in a top 10 list is laughable.

Owen was brilliant before the constant injuries. Elite, movement, pace and finishing. He really was that dangerous. Not as refined as a Henry or Shevchenco but bloody lethal.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Van Nistelrooy is my most hated/respected forward from an opponent.

When I first became an Arsenal fan, especially the 01/02 and 02/03 seasons, the rivalry we had with United was everything to me...whenever they played, first it was did they lose, second it was did Ruud score...I wanted Arsenal to win the league, plus I wanted Henry to be top scorer so badly...what a time it was!

As I wrestling fan, at the time I used to associate Thierry with The Rock and Horseface with Triple H :lol:

say yes

forum master baiter
Stop changing what I said.

I never said they were bad because they weren't title winning CFs. Giroud and Laca are not good enough to make the Arsenal top 10 CF list
1. Henry
2. Dennis
3. RVP
4. Auba
5. Wright( I didn't watch him, only included him due to his record)
6. Anelka(Didn't watch him)
7. Adebayor
8. Sanchez
9.Eduardo(I didn't watch him for long, but the few times I watched him, he was verging on world class)
10. Don't Know

That's just my personal opinion. I don't think lacazette and Giroud is better than anyone on this list.

I'm a relatively new arsenal supporter (Born in 1993). I started supporting Arsenal in 2005.
Wait is this a joke? :lol:

You accused anyone who put Giroud / Lacazette on their list of trolling, but your list of the top ten strikers you’ve watched for Arsenal contains:
  • two players you admit you’ve never watched;

• a winger (Sanchez);

• Eduardo, a guy who barely made a dent here due to his horror injury; and, to top it all off, as if that were already not ridiculous enough
  • not even ten ****ing players!
Jesus ****ing Christ this forum sometimes :rofl:

katialylla2005

Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Adams, Seaman, Wright, O'Leary, Pires, Brady, aaaaand it's ****ing Ray Parlour! honestly though maybe Rocastle, maybe Rice I dunno.

I wonder where Fabregas would be on the all time list.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I don't know about Michael Owen winning the Baloon Door but if it weren't for terrible fitness issues he may have been well on his way. He was electric and technically very good despite being often called a pace merchant.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Wait is this a joke? :lol:

You accused anyone who put Giroud / Lacazette on their list of trolling, but your list of the top ten strikers you’ve watched for Arsenal contains:
  • two players you admit you’ve never watched;

• a winger (Sanchez);

• Eduardo, a guy who barely made a dent here due to his horror injury; and, to top it all off, as if that were already not ridiculous enough
  • not even ten ****ing players!
Jesus ****ing Christ this forum sometimes :rofl:
Tbf, I've not seen ten top striker for arsenal in my life time. I put anelka and and Wrighty there because of their record.

Surely you can't put Laca and Giroud over any of them?

As for Eduardo, I admit we didn't get to see what he could because of the injury, but I'll have him over Giroud any day.

Sanchez when deployed as a CF was world class there. So yes, I think we can all agree that Sanchez played as forward, he did far better than Giroud or Laca. I don't think Laca or Giroud will ever have a 20 PL goal season never mind 25 goals.

Lacazette has only had one OK season. he hasn't even scored 20 goals for us in a season.

The reason I didn't list ten players was that the tenth player I had in mind, Arshavin, I could really put him there. Though I like him. I just felt he didn't done enough

Top Bottom