• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Tottenham vs Arsenal | Wed 14 Apr. 20:00 | SS1/2

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
outlaw_member said:
I think some of you guys need to brush up on your definition of 'rival' if you consider Tottenham be that.
Actually this is where you are tying yourself in knots, again. Your definition of 'rival' is too strict. Just because it's not a competitive rivalry on the pitch (results-wise etc.), doesn't mean we aren't rivals.

Accomplished

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
no-one here will be able to answer why the definition of the term 'rival' does not correlate with the status Tottenham are held in.

dictionary.com said:
Rival

–noun
a person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor.

They are trying to win the same league as we are.
They are trying to equal or outdo us.
They are a competitor.

Well....that was easy

outlaw_member

Established Member
Accomplished said:
Well....that was easy

:lol:

You can apply that to just about every team in the league.

AntG, my definition is not too strict. I cited the first few interpretations that appeared on Google.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define%3Arival&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define ... =firefox-a</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Accomplished

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
You can apply that to just about every team in the league.

AntG, my definition is not too strict. I cited the first few definitions that appeared on Google.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define%3Arival&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define ... =firefox-a</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes we can apply it to every team in the league. What's your point?

You asked for a definition of a rival, I gave you one. I gave you reasons why tottenham match that defintion. You set the parameters.

I don't care for definitions, and I don't need one to hate sp*rs, but I gave you what you asked for...

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Outlaw, 'Google' is bad in the wrong hands.

Anyway, playing by those rules, knock yourself and 'google' Arsenal/Spuds rivalry or something similar.

Then, when you're done approaching the tens upon tens of thousands of people, websites, fans, media etc. that refer to our rivalry and correcting them, get back to us and let us know how it all went.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Tottenham aren't competing for the same goals though, irrespective of their grandeurs of delusion. Anyway, I've said my piece, I don't consider Tottenham to be a rival. I consider them to be a club who just happens to come from North London. If people can't accept that then tough luck.

AntG. Let them refer to our supposed rivalry. I know where I stand on the subject.

outlaw_member

Established Member
You won't get an argument from me on that one. They are indeed ****s with small time mentality, which is partly why I hate being associated with them. BTW, the other place misses you. :p

IBL

Established Member
How you've managed to avoid Sp**s fans outlaw is nothing short of a miracle considering you're a londoner. I have some friends who are Sp**s fans and I work with a few, they're bleedin everywhere

otfgoon

Established Member
Ice Berg legend said:
How you've managed to avoid Sp**s fans outlaw is nothing short of a miracle considering you're a londoner. I have some friends who are Sp**s fans and I work with a few, they're bleedin everywhere

Not many of them about in East London, though I have managed to befriend 2 of them :(

outlaw_member

Established Member
I've seen enough Spuds on forums to know how they generally are. Besides, Scousers and Mancs are more than enough of a pain in the backside. :wink:

You live around Gate, don't you IBL, or played for one of the teams based here?

outlaw_member

Established Member
otfgoon said:
Ice Berg legend said:

Not many of them about in East London, though I have managed to befriend 2 of them :(

Where you at? I swear, I don't think there are many where I'm based. I don't think I can even recall anyone walking around in a Sp**s shirt around my area.

Burnwinter

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
"no-one here will be able to answer why the definition of the term 'rival' does not correlate with the status Tottenham are held in by many Gooners. Either one or the other are wrong and I bet that it sure as hell isn't the dictionary."
:lol: Surely trolling, but I'll bite.

You're displaying (or affecting) a pretty callow understanding of language there Outlaw.

The dictionary's prepared by experts as a description of the language, not handed down by a supreme being as a normative code of how words must be used.

The word "rival" is used to describe the ****ed up relationship between Arsenal and Tottenham every day. If by your lights the dictionary definition doesn't do the job, it's only because the damn thing hasn't caught up yet. I doubt "trequartista" is in there either.

Maybe using the word grants extra dignity to our special bond with Spuds, which often sustains all the mutual respect accorded between a celebrated public figure and a deranged stalker, but that's the word we have.

IBL

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
You live around Gate, don't you IBL, or played for one of the teams based here?
Yep, very close to the Gate and played for a sunday league team aptly named E7 FC :D

outlaw_member

Established Member
That's where we differ, don't we, Burnwinter? I don't feel that the word is applicable to Tottenham. I'd say that 'neighbours' is a more apt fit because it's only the close proximity between the two clubs which has signified any sort of rivalry between us during the past 15 or so years.

thegame24

Established Member
I do get outlaws points to be fair.

Especially in the 2000s Sp**s fell way way way behind us and i also didnt have any Sp**s mates and so the desire to hate them went down, they were a joke.

Now i have ended up with a group of Sp**s mates as well and the hatred is returning they are also not such a joke anymore so its easier to hate them. Its more of an annoying hate than a full on hate that i have for man united and their cheating ways. The unted hate stems from the amount of london united fans that were blatently Sp**s fans but couldnt handle being ****, so switched to united in secondary school.

IBL

Established Member
otfgoon said:
thankfully they're few and far between in e. london, and most have the sense never to wear the shirt, but they're around....lurking

Top Bottom