• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL – Arsenal vs Olympiacos – 7:45pm – 3/10/12 - SS4

leo_ense

Established Member
fabo said:
Would like to see Podolski get more goalscoring chances, basically be higher up the pitch. Right now he's done pretty well to score 4 goals as he's barely getting one chance per game given the shift he puts in and how deep he tends to be helping Gibbs.

Surprised by how well-rounded his game is tbh, not elite standard in a technical sense as we all knew but his touch, link-up, vision is all to a good standard.

tumblr_mbcmun1uEg1qi532yo3_250.gif
tumblr_mbcmun1uEg1qi532yo5_250.gif

Definitely think he needs to push up a bit more when he's on the left. I'd like to see Gibbs sit a little bit and let Podolski find good positions on the left. Most looking forward to seeing him play centrally though.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
fabo said:
Would like to see Podolski get more goalscoring chances, basically be higher up the pitch. Right now he's done pretty well to score 4 goals as he's barely getting one chance per game given the shift he puts in and how deep he tends to be helping Gibbs.

Surprised by how well-rounded his game is tbh, not elite standard in a technical sense as we all knew but his touch, link-up, vision is all to a good standard.
Agree, he's better than was advertised. Good for us, good for his career. I wonder how many goals he'd score if he was pushed upfront some more. I also wonder if Gibbs can really stay back. It seems like it's in his DNA to bomb forward and the coaching staff have realised it and created a good system where there's always someone to fall back to defend. I guess as long as he bangs in the goals, Podolski's going to continue doing the donkey work. He's damn efficient though.

Joegunner

Dodgy display from some of the lads, but a result is a result. I just hope when analysing the game with the players, that AW & SB will highlight to one or two in particular where they are going wrong....

Great to see Jenks taking a big step up this season, will give Sagna something to think about!!!

Can't wait to see Giroud start scoring regularly, but I have no issues with his work rate and contribution.

Ramsey regaining his form is also promising, and as for Gerv, well Le Boss seems to have done it again. (say's he, knocking on wood, crossing fingers and hoping the gods of "putting the mockers on him" don't read this)

Anzac

Established Member
evoh_1 said:
steve bould being frank and on point, absolutely love it no washing over the fact that we weren't great but got the result and honest about the players without arrogance that we sometimes hear after a weak result.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-we-did-great-and-have-got-back-on-track-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -on-track-</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hislop made me laugh at half time when he was saying that the manager normally brings the hair dryer & the #2 is normally closer to the players. He was suggesting the Bould may not be 'strong/direct' enough to kick the players in the butt that the player's needed with AW in the stands.
He obviously hadn't heard the story of Bould v Song in pre-season.

Anzac

Established Member
kofigunner said:
fabo said:

Agree, he's better than was advertised. Good for us, good for his career. I wonder how many goals he'd score if he was pushed upfront some more. I also wonder if Gibbs can really stay back. It seems like it's in his DNA to bomb forward and the coaching staff have realised it and created a good system where there's always someone to fall back to defend. I guess as long as he bangs in the goals, Podolski's going to continue doing the donkey work. He's damn efficient though.

In this current set up Podolski is used to balance Gibbs constant forward movement on & off the ball. As such Poldi's goal scoring exploits will never match his capability & he'll always be our SS forward, but his overall game contribution will improve & our left flank will benefit as a result of his covering work AND being closer to Arteta as seen for his goal v LFC.
Personally I've never liked that our FBs are too involved in the final 3rd in general, and would prefer players to first & foremost concentrate on their primary tasking rather than some p*ss poor lazy excuse for Total Football.

Anzac

Established Member
VAVAVOOM 14 said:
They're too similar. We need Mertesacker in to provide balance.

Mertesacker is the Yin to Vermaelen/Koscielny's Yang.

Been saying something similar re our CB pairings & types since Sol departed.
AW has been obsessed with ball playing athletic types with pace in order to play a high pressing line in defence & be able to chase back on any ball over the top.
They have tended to lack height, presence, composure, organisation, communication and most importantly balance.

eye4goal

Established Member
fabo said:
Would like to see Podolski get more goalscoring chances, basically be higher up the pitch.

They swapped position for a couple of minutes before Podolski scored. As Anzac said Gibbs will need to stay back a little more to allow Podolski to stay higher up. Podolski is the most over-worked player in the team and I think it is why he gets subbed alot round the 60th minute mark

Anzac

Established Member
eye4goal said:
fabo said:
Would like to see Podolski get more goalscoring chances, basically be higher up the pitch.

They swapped position for a couple of minutes before Podolski scored. As Anzac said Gibbs will need to stay back a little more to allow Podolski to stay higher up. Podolski is the most over-worked player in the team and I think it is why he gets subbed alot round the 60th minute mark

And then factor in this to the team structure & balance whereby 1 WF is a more direct goal scoring type & the other is more an AM/winger provider/creative type.
Our former options are the likes of Podolski, Walcott & AA,
whilst the 2nd type are more Gervinho, Ox, Rosicky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom