• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL - AC Milan Vs Arsenal 19:45 15/02/12 ITV1

Mobb Starr

Looking at things in the cold light of day rather than the passion of last night. The reason why we lost is because we lack genuine quality. Ibra was unplayable in his home territory where the refs are on his side and his teammates can track his movement.

They played tricks we used to play six or seven years ago with players standing in offside positions then suddenly rushing into the box when a goalscoring opportunity arises, soaking up pressure then hitting us on the counter with pace and precision.

Even the noise and atmosphere in the stadium was greater than any felt at the Emirates, and we think Flamini left just for the money. Its sad but true and we can only blame the board and the manager for allowing our team to weaken so badly.

Our midfield does not match up with any other top european side. Our attack relies on one player whereas Milan had threats all over the pitch. Blame the pitch if it ends 0-0 not after getting hammered 4-0. They lost Seedorf and improved, we lost Kos and we collapsed.

We lack presence in all areas of the pitch and we get horribly exposed by top sides just like when we got battered at Old Trafford. There are no excuses.

If we want to compete with top european teams financially off the pitch we have to compete with them financially on the pitch. What's the point of being more profitable than teams such as AC or Bayern if we can't or won't compete with them to get the best players. Looking at our squad yesterday only RVP is good enough for Champions League football. Everyone else just isn't good enough. If the board and the manager are happy with that then what is the point of us moaning about the pitch. We all know the real reasons why we lost.

Tbf, if Wenger put our entire squad up for sale tomorrow how many would be bought by top european sides. Wenger has already sold all the best players and we only have one left and maybe one of two who may prove valuable in a few years time the rest are midtable quality.

Tbh we don't deserve to qualify for next years CL if we haven't got the players to compete for the trophy. I'm sick of Arsenal being the also rans of football. I'm not saying we should go the way of Glasgow Rangers but surely we can do better than this. It's like groundhog day the same problems exposed every year after blatant lack of investment in transfer windows and blind faith in untested injury prone young talent. Leaving us horribly short of quality when it matters. It's not even squeaky bum time and already we have cholera and IBS.

As much as I admire Wenger for what he has done for us, he is more board member than manager nowadays and he doesn't seem capable of spending large amounts of money wisely. Wenger would do better as England manager than 'arry as he can develop players and he doesn't have to spend anything. We need someone who can take us to the next level now. Someone with genuine ambition. Not someone who expect boys to do a mans job.

mistaT

Established Member
GDeep said:
Wenger bottled it with not starting OX, but last night was all about his players letting him down, disgraceful from the lads.

I can't help but feel this morning that the players were set up and conditioned to fail.

With Sagna and Gibbs both playing their first(second) game after lengthy absences ensures they would be off form. Playing FB without your proper conditioning is absurd, and it was clear as both labored all night and were rarely providing the width/pace we need.

Koscielny and Vermalean have played but 2-3 games as a CB pairing and it showed. They may be too similar, but last night it was more apparent they have no sense of each other's positioning and play.

The first goal sums this all up very well - Milan receive the ball and both Arteta and Gibbs buck pass pressing him. Neither of them do it and it looks as if they don't say a word to each other while just expecting him to be pressed. From there it only gets worse with Vermalean covering no one, and Koscielny unsure of what player to track.

No surprise that a back 5 with barely fit FB's and a newly paired CB partnership would get outclassed in Europe :|

Mr Wolf

dysphoria said:
mo50 said:
Rosicky out wide still boggles my mind. Its another classic case of trying to fit players into the predictable 4-5-1.

exactly. I can't remember any single occasion he's actually preformed well out wide for us, he may have some pace but he's similar to theo in the sense that he doesn't actually go past players with trickery, rather, its about sudden bursts of speed. No sense playing players like that outwide against teams who will sit deep and pack the midfield let alone starting him ahead of ox who's shown that he can play wide and provide width with pace and trickery.

Too many similar square pegs trying to be fitted into round holes.

100% agree. The 4-2-3-1 formation can't work if you don't play wide two real wingers.

Accomplished

Established Member
dysphoria said:
David Smith said:
I wouldn't have started Ox either and I think Wenger made the right decision on that front.

yea, what you'd do is definitely a barometer of whats right.

I have no earthly idea why you have a problem with this post. It's exactly the same as nearly every other post on this entire forum, an opinion.

ArseGod

The problem isnt with not starting the OX.

The problem is the pressure already being heaped on an 18 year old talent to start one of the biggest matches of the season and the rest of the season because there isnt an experienced, ready to fill in wideman (I;m lookin at you Arshavin, Rosicky, Benayoun).

Fans- Our problem is already drooling over this KID

Wenger- The problem of now having to use him more. He will burnout and be our wilshere next season because Wenger didnt strengthen his squad.

ibby

Established Member
No need to over-analyse the game. It is a much bigger problem than who should and should have not started.

ebouenolike

Established Member
ibby said:
No need to over-analyse the game. It is a much bigger problem than who should and should have not started.

Well, yeah. But choosing the wrong players and playing the wrong system probably wouldn't be very helpful either...

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It was just a one-off nightmare. I've moved on. I know a win on Saturday and another in our next league game will make this all go away. Actually, if we beat Sp**s the season could end and I'd be happy.

Anzac

Established Member
The Jury said:
It was just a one-off nightmare. I've moved on. I know a win on Saturday and another in our next league game will make this all go away. Actually, if we beat Sp**s the season could end and I'd be happy.

REALLY???? :shock:
Or are we missing some smilies???? :wink:
8))

ibby

Established Member
ebouenolike said:
ibby said:

Well, yeah. But choosing the wrong players and playing the wrong system probably wouldn't be very helpful either...
The effort and desire to win was lacking. Much more fundamental attributes than tactics.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
mistaT said:
Koscielny and Vermalean have played but 2-3 games as a CB pairing and it showed. They may be too similar, but last night it was more apparent they have no sense of each other's positioning and play.
Actually it was more of a case of Verms playing a total shocker of a game than anything in terms of the CB pairing. When the duo started in Vermaelen's 2nd game back after a lengthy injury, they looked unbreakable.

ebouenolike

Established Member
ibby said:
The effort and desire to win was lacking. Much more fundamental attributes than tactics.

I agree. But debating who should/should not have started is also interesting. It was plain to see we had no guts.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
ebouenolike said:
ibby said:

I agree. But debating who should/should not have started is also interesting. It was plain to see we had no guts.
Wenger and the players let Milan's cheap scare tactics (with the pitch) work, total lack of a backbone, really pathetic.

kopzilla

Always Negative
The loss would have been more demoralizing had this been a 2nd leg of the tie like last season.

We shouldn't be as nervous as there is only a slight chance of doing the 'impossible'.

Going out of the CL may not be as bad if we manage to keep winning other matches.

TheArsenalis

Normally no matter how bad situation is we always atleast try in the big occasions, and wenger once said in an interview that because of the occassion they dont need motivation, maybe this was a one off, to me this was whats missing #urgency and motviation, not that they couldnt do better they just werent up for it, and wenger didn't instil It. It cant get worst but the next game we gonna put.a.shift in.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
I hate Wenger's attitude. Its not a winners mentality.

Yes, its almost impossible to turnover a 4 goal advantage, but we've seen great comebacks before in the CL and saying that qualification is pretty much impossible and the tie is over is simply bad managing. Motivate your players and make us proud! we are ****ing Arsenal Wenger! Don't come out saying it cant possibly be any worse in the next tie.

Wenger talks a lot about self belief. How our we supposed to have self belief when our own manager has such a losers mentality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom