• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL: Arsenal v AS Monaco - 25/2/15, 19:45 - SS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proof

Established Member
QUdgyeS.jpg

This is Arsenal's 15th consecutive appearance in the last 16. However, we have lost at this stage in each of the last four seasons.

Wenger has never lost a match back in France with Arsenal. His overall record against clubs from his home country with Arsenal is W10 D4 L2.

Szczesny
Bellerin - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Gibbs
Coquelin - Rosicky
Walcott - Özil - Alexis
Giroud

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
@AS_Monaco:
Hey @Arsenal, congrats for your victory this afternoon. We can focus on @ChampionsLeague now. See you on wednesday !

https://twitter.com/AS_Monaco/status/569181068596793345

Here is Monaco's team profile:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/248</a>

From the little I have seen this year they are more defensive than flair like they were last year with Falcao and James. Interesting that whoscored lists their weakness as defending counter attacks. Perhaps

fabo

6.51 / 10
Hopefully we put out a proper midfield for this one - Monaco seem to have some grafters in there.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

My French mate who's a PSG fan says they're properly negative now the stars have left. They keep loads of clean sheets but they're taking anti-football to a whole new level. Basically Greece in Euro 2004, their game plan will be to nick it from a set piece like they did in the Emirates Cup. Tie could well come down to who scores first.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

They're the most boring team I've watched this season, always on BT and it you back 0-0 or 1-0 in every game they play you'll make money. We should **** these at the Emirates, but it'll be like gettin through a Mourinho bus.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Monaco are very strong defensive team yeah they playing in Ligue 1 but still they are good defensively they don't have talented players upfront but we should be careful in set pieces specially.

Ospina

Bellerin Mertesacker Kosh Monreal

Coqulien Rosicky

Walcott Cazorla Alexis

Cazorla

if we win this 2-0 we are 90% qualified to next round important here to not concede a goal.

cannonade

Established Member
So they're going to play for zeros and then hope to nic one at the Emirates. Solid CL strategy, but awful to watch.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Im looking beyond these mugs tbh. We're 90% in the last 8. Then it's a matter of a good draw or a bit of luck, and we're in the last 4. Once you're there, anyone can win it.

Iceman10

Established Member
@Proof, I've seen that you are quite focused on Ospina vs. Scz in a few threads. Until Ospina drops a real clanger I don't think Scz will be coming back in (except for the FA Cup). What didn't just do it in for Scz was his performance at Southampton but also his immediate reaction post-match, and that tells a lot to a manager in terms of character, etc., particularly in terms of self-critique towards excellence vs. denial and blaming on others. I suspect some, but not all, of what was said in the media after the Southampton match was likely true.

You very well could be right in terms of raw ability but there is also a component of composure and maturity. Even Lloris had a few shaky moments in his early days for Spuds, that's where AW in my opinion will afford Ospina a little slack in settling down as long as he is not doing stupid things that cost us in a big way.

Is this all fair on Scz, I don't know. There is an element as with Mertesacker early in the season where the back line was far from constant and that must have been unsettling as a whole. However, again, I suspect it is attitude, maturity, and composure which are significant factors.

infineon

Established Member
A lot of Walcott's in these line ups but I suspect Welbeck will get the nod. Walcott clearly needs games but if he is not starting matches against Middlesborough then I cannot see him starting in a CL rubber. Wenger clearly isn't seeing enough in training to merit the starts.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
GOONER1991 said:
So excited and nervous for this. Nothing like a champions league tie.

Exactly, mainly because that's the first time since Porto in 2010 where I think we can go past the opposition.

It's going to be a difficult game, Wenger will probably change our approach because sitting back and giving them the ball won't get us anywhere in the game, as they're not known for an extensive and expanding offensive game.

We can't afford to concede here, hopefully the team manages that. An away goal to them and we're ****ed.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
I'ld be happy with Proof's team.

I do expect Theo to start. Yesterday's match on a crap pitch was more something for Welbeck.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Yeah, I'll be a nervous wreck come Wednesday afternoon... ****ing love the champions league though!

------------Ospina------------

--Bellerin-Mertesacker-Koscielny-Gibbs--

-------Coquelin-----Cazorla------------

-Welbeck-----Özil---------Alexis-------

--------------Giroud-------------------

SUBS- Szczesny, Chambers, Monreal,Flamini, Wilshere, Rosicky, Walcott,

Proof

Established Member
@Iceman10

I agree with almost everything you said. I'm a huge fan of Szczesny and I believe he deserves a second chance. What he did after the Southampton game was really stupid but I wouldn't go as far and judge his character based on that particular event. I'm sure that being dropped from the club and country was a big and needed wake up call for him.

Ospina is an accident waiting to happen. The guy is too short. He pushes shots into dangerous areas. The cross at the end of the Palace game should never have been allowed to get into our box, but once it did Ospina messed up.

Petr Cech would be a great transfer for us. He is experienced, accomplished and reliable and he could teach Szczesny a few things.

yousif_arsenal wrote:
Monaco don't have talented players upfront.
Berbatov is a joy to watch :)

fabo

6.51 / 10
Cazorla and Coquelin would concern you here - our midfield has been getting killed in recent PL games. Balance of the team looks off atm, and it shows.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
truth_hurts said:
in Europe I think We can definitely use Santi and Coquellin.

Be a bit difficult against Monaco, they have Kondogbia in the middle of the park, an absolute beast. I doubt Santi would get much joy out of him, if Santi plays in this one it'll have to be at no. 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom