• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL - Arsenal Vs Borussia Dortmund - 23/11/11 19:45PM SS2

Spork

Established Member
Enfield said:
When Eduardo was missing those chances, game after game, people thought he had lost it. I hope they were wrong then and right now when they say that Gervinho just needs to be patient and it will come together for him. Still pissed that we sold Eduardo, he could be very useful these days

I really don't see why we sold Eduardo, then brought in players like Chamakh and Gerv. Surely it would've been better to keep him?

CandysRoom

Established Member
Nasri was capable of the sublime, but bar a hot streak of 6 months or so, wasn't a scorer of many goals or provider. I think he's a hell of a player though and will show it eventually.

Sure Gervinho needs to start scoring more, but 5 assists in 9 PL games is pretty impressive. He's a hard player to read and often fashions himself goal scoring opportunities. If he starts converting 2/3 of the chances he gets, we'll be talking about one of the best wingers around.

Keep the faith lads, i am.

mo50

Established Member
Spork said:
Enfield said:
When Eduardo was missing those chances, game after game, people thought he had lost it. I hope they were wrong then and right now when they say that Gervinho just needs to be patient and it will come together for him. Still pissed that we sold Eduardo, he could be very useful these days

I really don't see why we sold Eduardo, then brought in players like Chamakh and Gerv. Surely it would've been better to keep him?

What we should've done was brought in a clinical striker in the Eduardo mould. I believe Chamakh was brought in as a target man replacement for Adebayor (which hasn't worked out) but we're yet to really replace Eduardo with another clinical finisher. Our change to a lone striker system definitely has something to do with it. An Eduardo type player reliant on service and limited in the link up department wouldn't suffice at the moment.

mo50

Established Member
The worrying thing about Gervinho is that the chances he's missing isn't down to a lack of luck. His entire shooting technique is just awful. The good news is we have Wenger as our manager. If Wenger turned Ade into a 30 goal striker, he can do anything.

Gervinho doesn't set his feet right, shoots at the wrong moment, doesn't open up his body correctly and is just terrible at judging when/where to strike the ball. He's a terrific outlet and an excellent dribbler and I hope he continues doing what he's doing with that aspect of his game, but dear Lord tuck a few of those sitters in!

evoh_1

Established Member
mo50 said:
The worrying thing about Gervinho is that the chances he's missing isn't down to a lack of luck. His entire shooting technique is just awful. The good news is we have Wenger as our manager. If Wenger turned Ade into a 30 goal striker, he can do anything.

Gervinho doesn't set his feet right, shoots at the wrong moment, doesn't open up his body correctly and is just terrible at judging when/where to strike the ball. He's a terrific outlet and an excellent dribbler and I hope he continues doing what he's doing with that aspect of his game, but dear Lord tuck a few of those sitters in!

This is why he's trying to go round the keeper when he's one on one, Wenger does need to get him sorted with his technique but most players improve technically at arsenal.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
We had a slow 1st half, but I can't remember them actually having a decent chance in first half.
Seems to me that game was intirely controlled by Wenger and it worked. Unfortunate injuries to their players also helped.
I don't quite understain criticism of Song, since I think he is playing really great for a while now.
With Arteta we can rely on his consistent quality every game. Shame we couldn't pair him with Cesc some seasons ago.
Santos is really good, and he will improve his defensive game. Nice to see a fullback that is an acutal danger for opponents goal. When going forward I get the impression he will always make good to great move.
Mertesacker has to adjust better to English game, and I don't have any doubts that will happen soon.
Gervinho really is extremly hard to play against, I'm sure every team is on alert every time he gets the ball. If only he could keep his concentration in goal chances.
We now have quite experienced team, much more than before, and it does show.
Everything else has already been said.

Mastadon

Established Member
There are so many positive sides to his game that I think he will eventually come good. He needs to improve on his final ball and shooting but everything else is there. Having said that we do need more competition on the wings for when Gervinho and/or Walcott are not performing.

Enfield

Established Member
mo50 said:
Spork said:
Enfield said:

What we should've done was brought in a clinical striker in the Eduardo mould. I believe Chamakh was brought in as a target man replacement for Adebayor (which hasn't worked out) but we're yet to really replace Eduardo with another clinical finisher. Our change to a lone striker system definitely has something to do with it. An Eduardo type player reliant on service and limited in the link up department wouldn't suffice at the moment.

I agree we haven't replaced him and I would liek us to do so in January before any other signing. Maybe Park is the man but he has only got on the pitch twice since we signed him. I'd see nothing wrong with playing RVP a little deeper and using Eduardo as a finisher to the chances RVP would create. We could also not play RVP for the full 90mins nearly every game.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Spork said:
Enfield said:

Eduardo had lost a yard of pace and also his confidence in front of goal. If you remember he missed several one on one chances (after his return from injury) that he would normally slot away. Also, we had moved to a one striker system and Eduardo was unable to play that position and didn't have the pace to play out wide. His last season at Arsenal was quite disappointing. Gervinho is an altogether different animal and is a true winger with pace and trickery. Chamakh can play up front in the lone striker role as he has the strength and skill.

outlaw_member

Established Member
An important and somewhat expected victory, but once again, it was disappointing to see us struggle against a high court pressing game. It's been almost half a decade since we were constantly capable of moving the ball at a fast tempo. I believe that the team as a whole, especially in the defensive and middle third, doesn't really believe in each other to execute quick moves. There seems to be a general lack of trust in one another to handle the ball at quick one-touch pace, which creates undue hesitation when opportunities arise to break through the lines.

Once again, our laboured passing at the back made it easy for Dortmund to stop us in our tracks, particularly in the first half when the Germans pressing game was at its peak. Yet, there was one passage of play, where our defenders had the ball for the umpteenth time, but on this one occasion, our team executed over 5 consecutive one-touch passes, which saw us bypass the packs with devestating precision, though the move broke down soon after at van Persie's feet. Maybe, we lack the quality, and there isn't an overall confidence in our ability to attempt such attacking patterns, but I believe that we can and should be looking to move the ball at a much more quicker tempo, particularly against high pressing teams.

redanddread

Stevie Nicol (ex Liverfool) on ESPN Soccernet PressPass-Arsenal were awful last night (against Dortmund)-they couldn't string 5 passes together. Rug munching scunt. You really have to wonder about what resides in the vacuum between his ear lobes.

Not sure what the exact stats were but I know we had more possession and more passes (completed) than the Germans.

Spork

Established Member
Yea, I guess I do understand why we got rid of Eduardo, but I disagree with doing it.

--

When Arteta takes corners, he often holds up both of his hands, as if to indicate something, does anyone know if this actually means anything? As if we are trying a certain set piece play? Most of the time it doesn't work out, but then again, neither does any of our spot kicks.

redanddread

Spork said:
Yea, I guess I do understand why we got rid of Eduardo, but I disagree with doing it.

--

I think Arsène was being a nice guy also and realised that Eduardo needed game time to get back to his best and he wasn't going to get that at Arsenal. He's scoring for Shaktar & Croatia but he isn't the player he was pre-injury.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
redanddread said:
Stevie Nicol (ex Liverfool) on ESPN Soccernet PressPass-Arsenal were awful last night (against Dortmund)-they couldn't string 5 passes together. Rug munching scunt. You really have to wonder about what resides in the vacuum between his ear lobes.

Not sure what the exact stats were but I know we had more possession and more passes (completed) than the Germans.

Yeah I saw that and immediately switched the channel! I can't stand another bitter ex-liverpool player who still holds a grudge against us after 22 years...bloody hell.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

redanddread said:

Don't even worry about him , he is more than a little bias . He also declared Liverpool title challengers after they beat Chelsea .

He also said we haven't come up against a decent side too and Dortmund were awful . Thing is Dortmund beat Bayern on the weekend how far can their form drop in 3-4 days ?

Floating

Established Member
Song's immense performance against Dortmund:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/alex-song-performance-borussia-dortmund-15734301/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodispl ... -15734301/</a>

hesham

Established Member
He's been fantastic for a couple of seasons now, ever since stepping in for useless Denilson. He has had to deal with many changes to formations & players in the last 3 years & has added alot to his game in that time, i for one love that he likes to get forward more now that the midfield has real balance, makes it much more unpredictable. Wonder what the reaction would be to his performace if he got dispossessed while making that dribble and Dortmand went down the other end and scored....

redanddread

Segway said:
One of the performances of the season. He's turning into a fantastic player this season.

He's been a fantastic player for us for the last two seasons. Last year with Alex Song in our side our win% was 70%, without him it was 0%. Not sure if that stat holds up for the entire season but certainly for most of it.

IMO he is the most versatile and best defensive midfielder in the Premier League.

viper_001

Established Member
What I find hilarious is how badly the Dortmund fans have been underestimating us this year. The moment we were put in the same group as their club, they were predicting themselves and Marseille topping the group. Even Olympiakos is ahead of them now :lol:

Latest posts

Top Bottom