• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL: Arsenal vs Olympiacos | 29/09/09, 19:45 | SSX

progman07

Established Member
ibby said:
progman07 said:
thegame24 said:
second was offside by a mile
We have already won the game then. Also, how about our unlucky first half? Nothing went in.
That's not unlucky, that's just poor on our behalf.

Also at 1-0, the game is never 'won'.
Yeah Cesc's shot was very poor... I mean he only hit the post, ffs.

kamikaze80

Established Member
i watched the match last night and was not impressed. very bad finishing for the most part, our buildup play was too slow, and severe lack of movement up top (fabregas plays so high because he's the only one who makes runs to try to get past the parked bus). olympiakos were total walkovers, yet 1-0 wouldve been a fair scoreline (subtract the offside goal).

just because you create 4 chances doesnt mean you're entitled to 1 goal. you have to actually make it happen.

still, a comfortable win. i just worry about how performances like these will translate in the knockout stages. seems to me like the same old weaknesses.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
kamikaze80 said:
i watched the match last night and was not impressed. very bad finishing for the most part, our buildup play was too slow, and severe lack of movement up top (fabregas plays so high because he's the only one who makes runs to try to get past the parked bus). olympiakos were total walkovers, yet 1-0 wouldve been a fair scoreline (subtract the offside goal).

just because you create 4 chances doesnt mean you're entitled to 1 goal. you have to actually make it happen.

still, a comfortable win. i just worry about how performances like these will translate in the knockout stages. seems to me like the same old weaknesses.
wow.. what, exactly, will it take to "impress" you Kami? that is the best we have played in a while, at least creatively.. we were all over the place, we were pressing, we were passing well, we were shooting (albeit too many at the keeper), we were defending (with the exception of 1 or 2 chances).. sure we wasted some chances, but on another day, those shots all hit the target or the keeper wont make some of the saves he made..

we can only beat who's in front of us, and i was happy with the win and the way we played, even if we should have scored a few more..

ibby

Established Member
progman07 said:
Yeah Cesc's shot was very poor...I mean he only hit the post, ffs.
Exactly. :|

Missing chances and hitting the post is nothing to do with luck.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
It was a great finish that unfortunately hit the bar. Could just as well have gone in. The decision to take the shot and he execution was spot on.

banduan

Established Member
cesc's shot was good but the others were tame. still, we got 1 winner in fair and square and we dominated. no luck there.

Anzac

Established Member
Happy with the result but wasn't over excited by the performance - much like against Fulham & we've seen the same domination with little reward often enough.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Anzac said:
Happy with the result but wasn't over excited by the performance - much like against Fulham & we've seen the same domination with little reward often enough.
We won both of those games though. Last season we weren't winning them - think those strings of draws for example. They were two vastly different performance also, in my opinion, and both won in different ways. All in all, a good sign.

Anzac

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
Anzac said:
We won both of those games though. Last season we weren't winning them - think those strings of draws for example. They were two vastly different performance also, in my opinion, and both won in different ways. All in all, a good sign.

Agreed - but I have a suspicion that it may be as a result of playing wing-forwards as opposed to a flat 4 man midfield = more players in the final 3rd quicker & better suited to the formation if you know what I mean.

I'm still not happy with our shape in attack or the midfield & we lack the discipline to retain our shape either against poor/defensive opposition, or when chasing a game.

TomasCR

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:

I think you had to be very tired that night! I believe that the first half was one of the best ones I have seen for some time now. We were totally up for it, played really well and created a lot of chances which unfortunately didn't end in goal which, I think, can happen every now and then.

If we were to continue with this kind of performance, there is no need to be worried at all.

And lol at some of the comments in this thread, jokers, aren't you! :wink:

dbig

TomasCR said:
I think you had to be very tired that night! I believe that the first half was one of the best ones I have seen for some time now. We were totally up for it, played really well and created a lot of chances which unfortunately didn't end in goal which, I think, can happen every now and then.

If we were to continue with this kind of performance, there is no need to be worried at all.

And lol at some of the comments in this thread, jokers, aren't you! :wink:

Tomas,

Good job against the Greeks. We really missed you. Are you going to be in the starting line up against Blackburn tomorrow?

TomasCR

Established Member
Huh? You guys need to get your head checked sooner rather than later!

It was a good game overall, we are very strong offensively, the gold days are back once again...

asajoseph

Established Member
The first half reminded me of CSKA Moscow a few years ago - easily on top, playing pretty good football, creating chances, but woeful in front of goal.

We faded in the second, quite badly, and clearly looked like we'd really run out of ideas with Olympiacos prepared to just sit back and defend. If anything, we were a little slow pulling the trigger on the substitutions, but the one thing that really impressed me was that I felt that the crowd got behind the team when they started worrying about us failing to score, rather than being negative and getting on their backs. I think that made a big difference.

TomasCR

Established Member
It's lovely isn't it. Don't think I can describe the feeling myself but it's like everyone would now realize that the team is getting stronger and we're still missing quite a few players who can make the difference if needed.

There is something in the team that can win us a trophy, very positive from my point of view. We're slowly but surely getting there, it's different this year.

ricky1985

Established Member
asajoseph said:
but the one thing that really impressed me was that I felt that the crowd got behind the team when they started worrying about us failing to score, rather than being negative and getting on their backs. I think that made a big difference.

I was amazed by that to be honest. I don't get to that many games, but the whole atmosphere and mood around the stadium was different to last season, when I was last there. You could feel the positivity circling around the stadium, and the real excitement any time we got into decent positions.

I think the fans are actually starting to believe again.....

xcdude24

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
asajoseph said:
but the one thing that really impressed me was that I felt that the crowd got behind the team when they started worrying about us failing to score, rather than being negative and getting on their backs. I think that made a big difference.

I was amazed by that to be honest. I don't get to that many games, but the whole atmosphere and mood around the stadium was different to last season, when I was last there. You could feel the positivity circling around the stadium, and the real excitement any time we got into decent positions.

Thought the atmosphere was a little dead in the first half(at least in my block), but it really started to pick up towards the 65th minute or so. You could tell the people around me(as well as myself) were frustrated, but it was a positive frustration, if that makes any sense.

banduan

Established Member
it was a positive frustation because we were playing well but not scoring, and not particularly due to the strikers' fault.

kamikaze80

Established Member
asajoseph said:
The first half reminded me of CSKA Moscow a few years ago - easily on top, playing pretty good football, creating chances, but woeful in front of goal.
maybe i'm just jaded then. i did think we were fantastic against cska moscow, with some great combination play to open them up time and again. i thought olympiakos just basically let us waltz in. i just didnt see it as one of our better attacking performances in a while, which is what some people are suggesting.

viper_001

Established Member
Olympiakos reminded me of that 2004 Greek side that won the Euros. Maybe it was their 1-10-0-0 formation, or that George Clooney look alike in goal denying us constantly, but I really thought they would frustrate us to the last second -- as their national team did to get them a trophy 5 years ago.

It wasn't necessarily down to us "playing well but not scoring", but to their entire squad packing the box and clearing everything. They parked the bus, and we managed to break through and win. Knowing we're capable of that gives me more confidence against the Boltons and Stokes of the PL.

tam1886

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
asajoseph said:

I think you should make your way round the stadium and sit on every seat. Rub some of your positivity onto each and every seat and the crowd will never be down on the team again.

Top Bottom