• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL: Arsenal vs Porto | Tue 9th March | 19.45 | SS2

Nela

Established Member
I tried to find those stats on UEFA.com, but couldn't.

However I did find some stats on the match and the most interesting was that we "only" had 51% possession.

The most striking thing about the match for me was that we didn't fall into the trap of passing ourselves to death like we often do but still looked comfortable aside from a 15 minute period.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
The issue is not about recovering(where diaby helps) but about having the right numbers when we lose the ball upfront. We put ourselves in vulnerable positions because too many players rush forward and when we lose the ball we suffer. A lot of good stuff has been said about TV but he is another culprit. There was enough occassions lately where he just had to release but he went wt it. Its not bad but if you have Tweety at the back as your other CB its not necessary.

alboots101

Established Member
I loved it when LE CHIQUE BELGIQUE scored at Stoke.

furthest man forward...winning mentality.

score more..win more.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
True Gooner said:
There was one particular moment in the second half when it was 2-0 and we were under pressure and Song ran up with the ball, Sagna pushed forward leaving only 3 defenders back and called for a pass, Song ignored him and tried to shoot. The gap between the defence and midfield was massive and any decent team would have made much better use of that space.

Sagna needs to make up his damn mind if he will charge forward to support or stay put. I dont blame Song on that one there and there were few other occassions where Sagna didnt get that ball. You just have to look at Eboue.

If mid is coming up with the ball and there is space.. you better just run for support. Sagna runs but clearly you could see he has defensive duties in his head cos he doesnt go full swing and at times its necessary and very effective if it works. He only goes full speed on those very short yardage runs (one twos) when we are passing the ball in the opposition area.

And you can see the quality of his crosses when he takes them on the bust or on the jog. The former one is always more dangerous.

Rorz

Established Member
alboots101 said:
I loved it when LE CHIQUE BELGIQUE scored at Stoke.

furthest man forward...winning mentality.

score more..win more.

Only at Arsenal, would both centre backs be in the opposition box, 97th minute, while defending a 2-1 lead. :D

Anzac

Established Member
alboots101 said:
so we`re all on the Diaby train at last?

Not yet - it may have been a fitness issue but he was guilty of not hustling back in cover in the CFC game when Drogba scored & was late on making the decision to come back in the first instance & had given up running by the time he made it back to half way.

banduan

Established Member
Rorz said:
Only at Arsenal, would both centre backs be in the opposition box, 97th minute, while defending a 2-1 lead. :D

More nefarious when 0-1 behind, soon conceding a second with both defenders AWOL as if they are full backs.

ricky1985

Established Member
True Gooner said:
ricky1985 said:
Song is getting quite a lot of criticism based on last night's game, but I think, when you're there in the stadium it's so clear to see, the vast majority of the time he vacates "his" space he does so because one of Diaby, Nasri, Rosicky or Arshavin haven't respected their own personal responsibility. Too often opponents are allowed too much time to decide on a pass, or afforded space to move into because no one is closing them down, Song moves forward to pressurise, but if he doesn't get the ball it's passed around him to players that haven't been tracked, and it puts our defence under tremendous pressure. It's a real problem and there's no quick fix, our players aren't going to suddenly figure it out, it's something that will improve with experience and time playing together - so basically I'm saying it's going to cost us when we meet a better side later in the tournament.

That's not what most people have taken issue with ricky. What annoyed me the most was seeing Song run up the pitch with the ball trying to get a shot away or making a pass. There was absolutely no need for him to do that when he could have passed the ball to more attacking players.

There was one particular moment in the second half when it was 2-0 and we were under pressure and Song ran up with the ball, Sagna pushed forward leaving only 3 defenders back and called for a pass, Song ignored him and tried to shoot. The gap between the defence and midfield was massive and any decent team would have made much better use of that space.
It's our game though, it's without question the way we play, the way the manager has taught the players to play. What needs it improve is the understanding between the players, moving as a team to cover the forward runs of certain players. Song is an expert at covering the centrebacks, he has built a fantastic understanding with both of them, and I don't think a forward run by Vermaelen or Gallas has cost us a single goal this season, barely even a chance conceded in fact. Diaby, Fabregas and the fullbacks, along with Song, need to learn to understand each other better, and move more as a unit. It's certainly not Song's fault, he has an offensive job to carry out too, because he is part of this team, where everyone is responsible for seizing an opportunity and having the confidence to move forward and exploit it. We need to start adapting better to the gaps created when players do that, but with time playing together it will improve.

justinmitchell

alboots101 said:
look forward not back Anzac.

chelsea is in the dark and distant pass.
Been a really big fan of Diaby this season. The quality that he and Song are showing after being on the outer at the end of last season is amazing. An to think this forum has done a 180 (myself included) on Diaby in less than 12 months. The guy is quality, and tell you what, I'm putting my trust right back in Wenger. He can pick them!

alboots101

Established Member
I think Shue and i stood by him last season and this...I had a huge argument with the GW lads about him..lol.

Undoubted talent that needed honing....AW hone master.

ricky1985

Established Member
Armor for Sleep said:
ricky1985 said:
Song is getting quite a lot of criticism based on last night's game, but I think, when you're there in the stadium it's so clear to see, the vast majority of the time he vacates "his" space he does so because one of Diaby, Nasri, Rosicky or Arshavin haven't respected their own personal responsibility. Too often opponents are allowed too much time to decide on a pass, or afforded space to move into because no one is closing them down, Song moves forward to pressurise, but if he doesn't get the ball it's passed around him to players that haven't been tracked, and it puts our defence under tremendous pressure. It's a real problem and there's no quick fix, our players aren't going to suddenly figure it out, it's something that will improve with experience and time playing together - so basically I'm saying it's going to cost us when we meet a better side later in the tournament.

Do you think the signing of a midfielder this summer could go a long way to solving the problem ricky? We just seem to be too gung ho at the minute so if we face Chelsea, Barca or whoever they will inevitably hurt us on the counter. Obviously most of us would like to see a defensive player come in who can cover Song so if we were to sign someone it could tighten things up defensively big time in midfield. I'm thinking an athletic ball winner - a la Flamini - or even an experienced midfielder (someone like Gilberto) who could make sure nobody loses the run of themselves and leaves too big a gap in midfield.

Against top teams I think having the option of playing a compact midfield unit would be brilliant for us. The current starters - Diaby and Cesc/Nasri as you say will need time before they excel at the defensive side of things and I can see the same weaknesses costing us big games and ultimately trophies. So I feel against top sides, being able to play a trio such as Song Cesc and for argument's sake Flamini would help fix one major flaw in this side.

I just hate the thought of watching repeats of our 2-0 loss at Stamford Bridge for the next few seasons. Where we outplay teams, compete with them physically but then see it all pissed away because of tactical naivety on our midfield's part.
No, I don't think it would make that much difference. It would take time for that player to build an understanding with Song and Fabregas, and the other players, regardless of their ball winning capabilities. A new signing would have just the same offensive responsibility, he would have to take risks and move forward with the ball, it's the essence of our game, so it's all about the understanding between the players, moving as one, rather than some behemoth of a defensive midfielder coming in and sorting our problems. The players we have just need to better learn each others movements and react better as a team. It will come.

I just don't like the criticism of Song, he is suffering as a result of a general lack of understanding and coordination, he can't be everywhere, all the time, and he is never ever going to play in a small in front of the 18-yard box. Wenger doesn't want that, it's too limiting, and I agree with him. When we get it right in midfield Song's brilliance going forward will become incredibly difficult to stop (it already is to a degree), but with other players reacting accordingly to his forward movement it won't continually be a major defensive issue. It will all improve with time.

yakso

justinmitchell said:
alboots101 said:

Been a really big fan of Diaby this season. The quality that he and Song are showing after being on the outer at the end of last season is amazing. An to think this forum has done a 180 (myself included) on Diaby in less than 12 months. The guy is quality, and tell you what, I'm putting my trust right back in Wenger. He can pick them!

The way Diaby has been able to transform the fans' opinion of him is absolutely unbelievable. I used to tear my hair out watching him at the start of the season (OG at OT :evil: ). My opinion of him changed during January after string of consistent performance and I will be disappointed to not see him in the team sheet. Unsurprisingly everybody feels the same way now.

justinmitchell

yakso said:
justinmitchell said:
alboots101 said:

The way Diaby has been able to transform the fans' opinion of him is absolutely unbelievable. I used to tear my hair out watching him at the start of the season (OG at OT :evil: ). My opinion of him changed during January after string of consistent performance and I will be disappointed to not see him in the team sheet. Unsurprisingly everybody feels the same way now.
That fener game for me really showed what he was capable of and the way he played against Portsmouth and scoring those two quick goals in just as many minutes was ridiculous. He totally dominated the manure game and was so so close to scoring immediately after the OG.
I was firmly in the 'loan him' boat but hes my 2nd player on the team sheet every week. the mentallity of this guy is amazing. Eboue-esque.

ricky1985

Established Member
Diaby can still be incredibly frustrating. The number of times he fails to spot a team mate in a great position in the final third is almost criminal. He also has a nasty habit of complete unawareness when defending - failing to spot a runner, or too slow to close down an opponent, simply because he just doesn't see the play quickly enough. He has improved dramatically on previous seasons, but he still has a long, long way to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom