• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL: Arsenal vs Porto | Tue 9th March | 19.45 | SS2

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
No, I don't think it would make that much difference. It would take time for that player to build an understanding with Song and Fabregas, and the other players, regardless of their ball winning capabilities. A new signing would have just the same offensive responsibility, he would have to take risks and move forward with the ball, it's the essence of our game, so it's all about the understanding between the players, moving as one, rather than some behemoth of a defensive midfielder coming in and sorting our problems. The players we have just need to better learn each others movements and react better as a team. It will come.

I just don't like the criticism of Song, he is suffering as a result of a general lack of understanding and coordination, he can't be everywhere, all the time, and he is never ever going to play in a small in front of the 18-yard box. Wenger doesn't want that, it's too limiting, and I agree with him. When we get it right in midfield Song's brilliance going forward will become incredibly difficult to stop (it already is to a degree), but with other players reacting accordingly to his forward movement it won't continually be a major defensive issue. It will all improve with time.

Fair enough Ricky. Of course I agree that Diaby and Fabregas will improve their understanding with time. However I feel the root of the problem is that both players are attacking in their nature and because of that I do believe the right type of midfielder coming in would improve us significantly in terms of tracking runners, closing off space etc. Good to hear a different opinion all the same.

One thing is for sure we can't continue to take the same risks that have cost us so much against the big boys. So if we're not signing anyone, I hope our lads learn quickly or Wenger will simply have to tweak our style slightly so that we don't get burned on the counter attack again. Oh and I agree with your thoughts re Song.

Abs

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Diaby can still be incredibly frustrating. The number of times he fails to spot a team mate in a great position in the final third is almost criminal. He also has a nasty habit of complete unawareness when defending - failing to spot a runner, or too slow to close down an opponent, simply because he just doesn't see the play quickly enough. He has improved dramatically on previous seasons, but he still has a long, long way to go.

Diaby has good awereness, its just that cesc and nasri has amazing awereness and it may look like he doesnt see things quick enough. One thing i notice is that he doesnt take anywhere near the chances he took, nowdays if he see a diffucult pass, he doesnt try and just keep it and pas it safely and move on. I think thats great as he's playing deep and we dont need him to take huge chances. He's also very strong and wins alot of 50/50

Top Bottom