• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL: Marseille vs Arsenal | Wed 19/10/11 @ 19:45 ITV1

Floating

Established Member
celestis said:
Rain Dance said:
Kenyonhater said:
Looking at Newsnow all the headlines are about how we were lucky and played poorly and how we scraped a result when Ramsey "saved the day" at the death. Saved us from a perfectly acceptable point at the Velodrome?

F**k me the media have an agenda don't they? ManUtd drew 0-0 there in February but we get more stick for "winning ugly". Pathetic.

Typical

They have been looking for any excuse , 'Van Persie carrying gunners' . bloody hell as if Henry didn't carry us .

Cesc carried us for 3-4 seasons.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
I don't care who carries us as long as they carry us somewhere worthwhile! Like to some silverware and back into the CL spots.

Yesterday's was a grafting performance and yes, we were lacking in guile in the final 1/3 but before the game this is just the type of result we would have hoped for.

The team seems slowly to be growing toegther but is a long way off the form required to challenge for major honors. The synergy between our midfield and front three is lacking badly when compared to previous years and that can be appreciated as we have basically a whole new midfield this year.

Theo needs to learn a few new tricks and FAST! I like the lad but too often he doesn't have the gumption to take his man on and looks far too often to pass off responsibility to another player when he should look to ignite an attack with his pace and "trickery". He needs to drive at his defender more often and get them to commit. Yes, he will lose the ball sometimes but he may also get past them and once he's past them then ain't no one catching him. Overall, Theo disappoints me greatly.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Sometimes you need players carrying the team, players who're not just influental but make up for teammates who're out of form as well.

Every top team has so such players and there's no shame in admitting that.

Floating

Established Member
redwhiteAustrian said:
Sometimes you need players carrying the team, players who're not just influental but make up for teammates who're out of form as well.

Every top team has so such players and there's no shame in admitting that.

Agreed! Hell, Messi has carried Barcelona for 2-3 years (and they're the best team in the world). Think of where they'd be without his 40+ goals a season. Rooney and Vidic have carried United since Ronaldo left. Gerrard has carried Liverpool for years before, etc.

When you have a world-class player, your whole team looks better than they are. Cesc made us look better than we were for years, Messi, Ronaldo and Rooney make their teams look better than they are.

JazzG

Established Member
Only caught the last 30mins of the match and tbh I was quite pleased with our performance, away from home in the CL not many teams go and run riot so it was a pretty solid performance as far as I'm concerned, been a while since I've watched us and it hasn't looked like we would concede a goal every time the opposition team attacks! The golden rule is always to win your home games but not to lose the away games so win here is a fantastic achievement and will do wonders for our confidence.

7 points and another one or two should see us finish top comfortably. I didn't expect us to have 7 points with two tricky away games but apart from a wonder goal right at the death against Dortmund we would have 9 points.

VancouverCanuck

One win is not enough to guarantee top place finish. If we lose the last two matches but Marseille win theirs, Marseille will still finish first. But we will qualify for playoff, however.

With all the negativities around the club, I'd consider getting to CL quarterfinals a success. And we are on track for that.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
we're best English club!

<a class="postlink" href="http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/ccoef2012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uef ... f2012.html</a>

patrick42uk

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
For me the most annoying moment when it comes to lack of directness, was about the 37th minute. They've a set piece (this was about the situation were OM committed most players to attack), Sneezy wins the ball, they've no rest defence whatsoever, plenty of space. NONE of our players offers Sneezy an option to launch a quick counterattack (mind you he really was looking for it). Our players opted for being happy we won the ball and allowed OM to track back and organise themselves. Why did nobody offer Sneezy an outlet by making a run forward? Great counterattacking chance wasted.

Its probably a confidence thing. As is RVP not getting more direct passes. We'll have to see. You imagine Arteta for example should be capable of medium range penetrative passes

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Arteta is capabale of those passes and he always looks for the forward option same goes for Rosicky. They didn't always get the ball passed to them i a way that they could create something. Same goes for Theo. He was poor for sure, but there were situations were he was made to look poor, because he got the ball passed to him too late, the wrong way or whatever. Too many players were below par.That can happen and we got a good result so I'm very happy.

Think that situation when Sneezy won the ball is different. Some of our players, say Theo, should always be sprinting forward with that kind of turnovers. It should be an automatism. It's clear we can't leave it to initiative. It's not the 1st time we waste good opportunities like that.

squallkid

Established Member
It was a good defensive display from us, two good defensive performances nullifying each other's attack, until we scored anyway. Three subs combined to make that goal, Wenger still knows how to change a game when it matters.

I think this year we could be dark horses in Europe and if the luck of the draw falls our way we could reach the quarters or semi-finals. I've said before that form in one competition doesn't dictate a team's form in another competition. Look at Birmingham in league vs carling cup last year or Liverpool in 2005. I'm not saying we'll come back from 3 goals down in Germany to win the European Cup but anything can happen as long as we win football matches.

Finish 1st in the group and see where we end up from there.

Top Bottom