• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL |Olympiacos v Arsenal| Wed 9/12/09|19:45| ITV1(finally)

Swish

Established Member
Del Boy said:
Will he stay fit for 6 months running, probably not. Lennon deserves his place as does Beckham at present.

Unless Walcott really improves and some how stays fit I can't see him going.
I personally couldn't give a toss if Walcott makes it with England. If I'm honest, I would prefer it if all our players didn't play international football, we'd have half the amount of injuries we suffer.

Club first, country second for me pal.

Nela

Established Member
Zico said:
Read Arseblogger this morning. Found it interesting that he went into Vela, and then just let Walcott off, basically blaming the boy's injuries. Seems to be consistent with how a lot of people assess him.

First it was youth, now injuries. 2 or 3 years down the line, I wonder what excuse we will have for this boy. f**k me, he's not Arsenal quality (or what it used to be before the gutting of the team). We should just accept that not all the players we gamble on at 16 will pan out.
Yeah, I think a lot of it just has to do with certain players having a likability, where fans/media want to root for them to the point that it clouds a lot of talk about that player in certain biases. Theo is English and very, very likable. People seem to desperately want him to succeed, so it's easier to highlight the good, and excuse or ignore the bad. He does just enough occassionally to keep that going with a moment of promise like a hattrick against Croatia or that run against Liverpool. And maybe another moment like that will come again soon to keep it going. But in terms of overall performances for the last 2 years, he's been really dissapointing.

Swish

Established Member
Zico said:
Read Arseblogger this morning. Found it interesting that he went into Vela, and then just let Walcott off, basically blaming the boy's injuries. Seems to be consistent with how a lot of people assess him.

First it was youth, now injuries. 2 or 3 years down the line, I wonder what excuse we will have for this boy. f**k me, he's not Arsenal quality (or what it used to be before the gutting of the team). We should just accept that not all the players we gamble on at 16 will pan out.
Vela has had a few games of a run out already, he should be sharp enough now to be tucking away the chances he got last night.

As for Walcott, it was the first real game he has played for us in 6 months, to expect him to be vastly better than he was last night is just utterly naive.

It's consistent with people who place things in perspective and read the situation as it is as opposed to those who find any excuse to blame Walcott for the team's shortcomings.

At least Blogger carries the same clarity that the sensible amongst us share, otherwise I would have given up on his blog many moons ago.

Swish

Established Member
Nela said:
Zico said:

Yeah, I think a lot of it just has to do with certain players having a likability, where fans/media want to root for them to the point that it clouds a lot of talk about that player in certain biases. Theo is English and very, very likable. People seem to desperately want him to succeed, so it's easier to highlight the good, and excuse or ignore the bad. He does just enough occassionally to keep that going with a moment of promise like a hattrick against Croatia or that run against Liverpool. And maybe another moment like that will come again soon to keep it going. But in terms of overall performances for the last 2 years, he's been really dissapointing.
Silly.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Del Boy said:
Klaus Daimler said:
Walcott will be a regular both for us and England within two years. He's that good.

I've never understood why Arsenal fans gets on his back so much. Every other top club in England would love to have him. It's always easy to say "I told you so" on the back of a limited number of appearances right after lenghty injuries. People are doing the same thing about Eduardo right now. They're gonna have to eat those words too, sooner or later.
He won't even make the WC squad Klaus so unless he really improves his game in the next few years I highly doubt he will become a regular ahead of Young,Lennon,SWP or even Milner.
He'll probably walk into the world cup squad even if he doesn't play more than 10 games between now and the summer. Capello loves him.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
long, maybe I'm being deliberately thick but I just understand your point. Looking at the game last night, we showed quality in most areas of the pitch....certainly as much or more than the home side.

Did we finish them off? No. Was it due to the first team habit of trying walk the ball into the net, or overplaying the ball around the box? No...just rusty finishing. No big deal or cause for concern given both players have almost zero game time so far, theo in particular.

The team last night shared an attacking philosophy with the first team that was it. The fullbacks didnt bomb forward granted...which made us narrower but also meant they rarely got caught out of position and as we had no tall strong players up front to compete with Mellberg etc , there was no need get to the endline and try cross into an empty box as the first team tend to.

Personally although his touch and finishing looked dubiously heavy, walcott overall split the defence with surging runs extremely well on a few occasions. As he gets match fit youd expect his control to improve.

Ramseys passing range was superbly demonstrated, as was Merida's on a few occasions. Song showed why we'll miss him while I was very impressed with Fabianski. Hell, even Silvestre didnt do too much wrong.

As a competitive fixture it was valueless. As a learning experience it was invaluable. Big crowd, hostile atmosphere, a team that are very strong in europe and who had something to play for.....you dont get opportunities like that often as a young player, so the experience last night was huge benefit.

The fact the they were expected to be dominated, yet themselves took game to the home side will be a considerable boost to them...I just dont see any negatives. if we'd been beaten by 3 or 4 then yeah, it could have stunted their morale, cast a shadow over the club....but they didnt.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Boots is my role model as a supporter. Always has a sober perspective on stuff, despite not always being entirely sober himself.

I bet he's still feeling cozy after we trashed Sp**s last month. The lot of you have probably forgotten about that game at this stage though.

otfgoon

Established Member
Del Boy said:
Will he stay fit for 6 months running, probably not. Lennon deserves his place as does Beckham at present.

Unless Walcott really improves and some how stays fit I can't see him going.

He was in less than impressive form when Capello shoved him in the starting line-up last season, I don't see why that would change now. And he's obviously going to improve from yesterday unless he contrinues to pick up injuries.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom