• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL: Partizan Belgrade vs Arsenal, 28/09/10, SS4, 19:45

Timleaf

Established Member
If I'd never seen Song before this season I'd say he's looking out of his depth playing for a club as big as Arsenal. He's been that poor.

McIntyre

Established Member
goonerleila said:
Wenger is instructing Song to play in his new role and I can't honestly see why he is encouraging him to do so. He looks out of sorts and a worser player than we know he is.

Agreed. Song had his standout season (so far) last year because for the most part he just sat deep, tackled, covered for the defence and kept things simple.

So far this season, in his more dynamic role, he's looked totally wayward.

The only reasoning that I can think is behind it is that Wenger thinks our central defence is stronger than last season and doesn't need the protection of a holding midfielder.

But, in my opinion, if the central defence is looking more solid because of the recruitment of a couple of no-nonsense defenders then wouldn't a solid holding midfielder make us almost unbeatable through the middle?

Then we could just let the flair players play.

Right now we find the creative midfielders, the wingers and even the striker (like Chamakh did tonight) having to bomb back and make tackles just in front of the defence because Song's off gallivanting all over the park.

I think Song's new dynamic role leaves us with a big hole in midfield that a top side like Chelski (we shall soon find out) and United would exploit.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Captain said:
Personally felt that Wilshere looked underwhelming in a more advanced role.

I don't think he was that impressive, either. But what immediately stood out was his willingness to move the ball on quickly. Just the fact that him and Denilson were passing almost immediately, ensured that our attack didn't stagnate in the final third.

fabo

6.51 / 10
One of Song's strengths last season was shielding the ball when pressed, an important part of his game as his vision, speed of thought doesn't give him much of an advantage so he's under pressure frequently. This season he seems really sluggish in all areas....just downright poor.

Really happy with Wilshere though. He was just good tonight, but like Cesc his play oozes quality even when it doesn't always come off for him. That moment when he was close to running through with a little feint reminded me of Rooney when he was a kid. Fearless.

Bit worrying that he's getting so many kicks already. That spells danger in the PL.

nidza7

Established Member
gooners having a good time before the game today

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.b92.net/video/video.php?nav_category=920&nav_id=461660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.b92.net/video/video.php?nav_ ... _id=461660</a>

outlaw_member

Established Member
By the way, I couldn't help but laugh when Fabianski did his best Hulk impression after the penalty save. It was hilarious.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
just saw the game.. very soft penno for Gibbs.. was a nice save from Flappy though.. he was all sorts of pumped up afterward

nazo

Established Member
Just watched some long highlights and Arshavin looked electric. I hope to god he performs like that against Chelsea. He can beat them on his own.

ricky1985

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
By the way, I couldn't help but laugh when Fabianski did his best Hulk impression after the penalty save. It was hilarious.
I thought it was brilliant. Good on him.

IBL

Established Member
Was that penalty save a turning point in Fabianski's career? since then he's pulled off one great save and made no errors.....I believe

IBL

Established Member
lol so we just need to get an opposition player sent off and give the game a training feel to get the best out of Fabianski? not asking for much there :D

outlaw_member

Established Member
IBL said:
Was that penalty save a turning point in Fabianski's career? since then he's pulled off one great save and made no errors.....I believe

Even Almunia can save penalties. :wink: I thought Fabianski was steady, nothing more. Alot better than his usual trip, though.

Gonner_88

Established Member
Wierd game.....good result. Fabianski played really well for once. Squid scores his first goal for us, Wilshere was brilliant again, Chamakh was very good (good to seem him settle fairly quickly), Arshavin was MOTM and looks like he's in good form (long may it continue). Denilson was okay unlucky about the penalty. Good to see Gibbs back so soon after the injury scare.

Is it the turning point for Fabianski? I hope so and his first BIG test will come this Sunday against the Champions Chelsea.

The negatives: Song was playing like a head-less chicken. He needs to start playing like he did for us last season. Djourou looked out of it but it's to be expected given that he was missed the whole of last season through injury.

BIG game this weekend. The boys need to go all out and prove to us and themselves that they have what it takes to win the league this season. They can only do that by winning against their title rivals.

Top Bottom