• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL: Porto (A) Wed 17th Feb 19.45 ITV1

Rorz

Established Member
So, with our horror run of fixtures finally over, our attention swings to the CL once more and a rather tough away game to Porto.

We should have little trouble with these guys at the Emirates so avoiding a loss here is key. Nice to have a week's rest beforehand too, hopefully any niggling injuries anyone has can clear up in time.

Raider

Established Member
and so it begins.... The Big Bad Champions League.

Gotta get our hands on ol' Big Ears eventually. Should be a trick encounter away to Porto.

They have the highest scoring ratio at home in their league and have only failed to score on 3 occasions this year. Will obviously mean very little when we lock horns.

Hopefully little Arsh is fit.

OohtobeaGoonerGal

Established Member
It's felt like an age away since our last CL game, so looking forward to this. Players should be well up for it, we know how much better they are when the confidence is with them.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Here is the spot to be a bit adventurous. Get ourselves at least 1 away goal to make the home fixture a bit easier.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Never an easy place to play. A score draw would be a handy enough result.

Plenty of time to rest and prepare, though a week without football/us kind of sucks.

Kain

Established Member
Our defense improved ten-fold just by being drilled half a week for the Pool game, keep doing that for another week, we should be beating them over two legs but don't go there and gift possesion or play a sloppy defensive game they'll catch you out.

I'd probabaly have Sagna back in so Sagna-Gallas-Verm-Clichy get Abou & Song infront of them like tonight make them work on communication and discipline all week if thats what it takes.

Almunia usualy has his better games in the CL aswell, the confidence frmo Poll result should lift several players who needed it badly.

I expect Arshavin & Naz to be back and availiable for this game also.

Looking forward to it, two teams who like to play on the deck, maybe Bendtner & Diaby can be our secret weapons, should be a good encounter.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I'd take 1-1 but I want a 2-0 victory.

I think we'll line up with Eduardo, Bendtner and either Rosicky or Walcott up front. Can't see Nasri or Arshavin making the deadline for this. As long as we've got Song, Cesc and Diaby in midfield we've got the upper hand though.

Ricky_AFC

I think this is going to be very tricky. I'm confident of us handling them at the emirates but we need to come away from Portugal with something.

I'd take a score draw all day long.

CKD39

Established Member
It's gonna be one of them atmospheres where the fans whistle for 90 minutes, flares go off on a regular basis and the Porto players are going to be diving all over the gaff. It will be ugly. But we need something to take back to The Grove.

Raider

Established Member
Why does a draw please most of us on here?

I want a 4-0, and we can do all the resting we want back at ours. Lets, for once, have a rampant and arrogant mentality about us.

4-0 in your back yard, 0-0 at ours - with our under 17's out there.

COME ON!

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Porto are currently 3rd in Portuguese Liga, 7 points behind Benfica, 6 points behind Braga. Falcao has 14 goals, next closest is Varela with 8. In 2010, this is their form chart

W 3-2 over Uniao de Leiria
D 1-1 with Paços de Ferreira
W 0-4 over CD Nacional de Madeira
W 3-0 over Naval 1º Maio

They are away to Leixoes this weekend, who are second from bottom.

Shue

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
Never an easy place to play. A score draw would be a handy enough result.
I'd take a score draw, although I can't see them troubling us too much over the two legs.

xcdude24

Established Member
Can't say I watch much Porto, but I do know that they gave United a bit of trouble last season, and are always difficult to play against whenever we draw them. Maybe it's because i've been such a negative nancy, but I've got a PSV-esque feeling about this one. We can't underestimate this game, as a 1-0 loss would be brutal to come back from. It's definitely winnable(and I think we should win this), but it could certainly prove to be a major banana peel.

AshburtonGhost

They did lose Lisandro Lopez and Lucho Gonzalez this season who I gathered were key players for them. It'll be tough away, but we should win at home.

go49oner

Established Member
Does anyone know how Porto are doing domestically?

The week rest should do the squad a world of good after a tiring couple weeks.

USgoonergirl

Established Member
Should be able to win, but i agree with xcdude that this could be a tricky match. Hopefully Arshavin will be fit for it.

Del Boy

Established Member
They will definitely give our defense something to think about. Falcao and Hulk up front are a force to be reckoned with.

Bruno Alves is a good defender and Freddy Guarin a great creative midfield player.

That being said, I think we should get at least a draw in this game.

TOPG

Established Member
Hulk is there keyman. Very good striker. We need to keep an eye on him or else it could be risky.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom