• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEL Group H | FC BATE Borisov | 28/09/17 18:00 BST | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Willock should develop into a quite physically imposing player in a few years. Looks very promising. Good thing about today is that it means we can give a lot of the youngsters playing time. Beat Red Star at home and we have the top spot pretty much secured.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
In theory maybe, but we know it doesn't work like that in practice because we are not very good. I'd like to see our strongest available 11 play that game and win that game just as our strongest available 11 would play in that game if it were a Champions League game. It's arguably our best chance of silverware and it isn't far off winning the league in terms of importance and what it should mean to this club. We haven't even entered October yet so I don't think our best players need or deserve a rest at this point. They can get plenty of that in the cup games.

We won 4-2. I think rotating worked just fine.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You said this when Özil scored the winner at Ludogorets, applies to Theo as a winger imho:
Come on, you must be losing your touch.

Özil is a midfielder. I acknowledged the important goal, but his job is not only to provide the odd pass that results in a goal, but to do more stuff a midfielder does. He's got the freedom and responsibility to do a lot more as a midfielder.

Theo played as a striker tonight and is always expected to score. Theo is, and always was, judged on goal return.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That's so lame. It's not about the result, it's about the mindset, and no margin of victory makes it right.

Neither one of us actually knows the mindset of the team, but the goal of the Europa League thus far seems to be to win matches while also giving players outside the starting 11 valuable minutes.

I think this makes a lot of sense, and we've won our opening two matches.

Do I think we'll play backups for the entirety of the competition? Of course not.

But our backups should be able to get us out of the group stages, and by the second half the season when the matches really matter, we'll have about 22 players who have been playing once a week and should be able to contribute in the EPL, FA Cup, Europa League, and possibly League Cup if we're still in the competition.

I'm not sure what mindset you think this match conveys, but rotating players while winning matches is something that teams in multiple competitions must do.

Prawn Sandwich

Some awful defending by the two teams.
Tidy little ground they have.

Impressed with some of the stuff the youngsters showed in bits.
Entertaining game.

Red Star next? Can't wait. :D

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Good watch IMO.

Willock was very good at CM. AMN and Nelson were decent but on the fringes owing to being played as wing backs. Wilshere had a great first hour. Elneny was Elneny.

Walcott did OK IMO. He scored 2 and was a nuisance mostly with his movement.

Willock really impressed IMO.

Good watch IMO.

Willock was very good at CM. AMN and Nelson were decent but on the fringes owing to being played as wing backs. Wilshere had a great first hour. Elneny was Elneny.

Walcott did OK IMO. He scored 2 and was a nuisance mostly with his movement.

Willock really impressed IMO.

Willock the only youngster playing in his natural position - who would have thought eh!

BobP

Memri Fan
The difference between the EL and UCL is astronomical. The gap is so large that we can play our reserve players who have considerable leeway for making mistakes because they rarely get punished.

As much as I dislike not being in the CL, this competition has been a godsend for youth, who now have an opportunity to gain a foothold in the 1st team.

Also, forget about Walcott. Don't let his performances decieve you into believing that he's of any use to us going forward.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Bit of time now, a few thoughts overall on the match:

- Wilshere looked really good playing in that number 10 role as a sort of wide playmaker. He is really good at forming triangles with fellow midfielders/attackers and his passing looks as good as ever. Still lacking that match fitness but he'll get there.

- I need to reiterate how impressed I was with Joe Willock. He was combative, confident and technically secure. With his improving physique and calmness on the ball, there is a lot that we can do with him in our midfield. Can be a very effective box-to-box player once he gets a bit more comfortable in an offensive sense (given that he's been a #10/winger). Some of his interceptions, tackles and smart passes were great to watch and his dribbling was also welcome.

- Nelson and AMN had better games at wing back, clearly indicating they're getting used to this unlikely scenario. AMN is showing much more concentration and Nelson felt a bit more comfortable taking on his man than his previous first team encounter. Most impressively, their decision making on the ball was very good.

- I wasn't crazy about Elneny's performance but I rarely ever am. He's not bad - I just find him wanting often. Played with energy in all fairness to him and he did try to advance play when possible but I thought Willock looked far more dominant in the middle than a more experience Elneny,

- I really don't think Walcott was as bad as people were saying he is (in fact, I thought Giroud was worse but given he's suddenly become wildly popular, I'll give the benefit of the doubt). He had his ropey moments in possession as he always does but his movement was effective and he was constantly dangerous. That, to me, is not a terrible day at the office for Theo Walcott - especially given we know his weaknesses anyway. Hopefully he continues to score when he plays.

- Holding needs to calm down a tad. It doesn't help that Mustafi is f*cking around on the opposite side, but Holding really needs to maintain some composure in defence.

BobP

Memri Fan
need to reiterate how impressed I was with Joe Willock. He was combative, confident and technically secure. With his improving physique and calmness on the ball, there is a lot that we can do with him in our midfield. Can be a very effective box-to-box player once he gets a bit more comfortable in an offensive sense (given that he's been a #10/winger). Some of his interceptions, tackles and smart passes were great to watch and his dribbling was also welcome.

Do you have any idea of his height?

I can't find anything on the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom