• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEL Group H | FC BATE Borisov | 28/09/17 18:00 BST | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
He was also accused of dropping far too deep on many occasions as well though,
That was in 15/16, you're conflating the two.
and he was doing that for whatever reasons people gave, like Alexis being a forward and him not being able to get on the ball...
The reason was that after Cazorla's injury Ramsry-Flamini took over in MF and their ineptness in transition forced him to come deep.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Rotating, yes, but not to the extent we saw last night. It wouldn't have happened if it were a CL game, and we should be treating this comp exactly the same. Ironically it's probably our best route back!

Based on your response you'd think that we lost or at the very least were outplayed. Instead we easily won this match.

Our lineup had 7 full internationals in it.

The Europa League isn't the same as the Champs League. The caliber of the teams in the group stages are just poor. Using this opportunity to make our squad better instead of making our starting 11 fatigued is the smart thing to do.

pacstud

Rotating, yes, but not to the extent we saw last night. It wouldn't have happened if it were a CL game, and we should be treating this comp exactly the same. Ironically it's probably our best route back!
I could not disagree more. The results support my disagreement with your assertion.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Based on your response you'd think that we lost or at the very least were outplayed. Instead we easily won this match.

Our lineup had 7 full internationals in it.

The Europa League isn't the same as the Champs League. The caliber of the teams in the group stages are just poor. Using this opportunity to make our squad better instead of making our starting 11 fatigued is the smart thing to do.
Until we lose.

And this is not a 'response' to the result... This is an exchange instigated by you with your 'we won so I was right' nonsense!

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
He's basically our version of Muller, when he scores he's doing his job essentially.

a very subpar Muller if that is the case

Muller got a very German workrate, finds space without any real pace or dribbling and pops up where he is needed all the time

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Our team was great, i'd say it could rival our first team for attacking thrust. The defence let us down, but thats down to us not having replacement fullbacks of an acceptable quality. The manager's job is to get a result, its why Wenger has been critisized because he prefers aesthetics over results. Now that he's been pragmatic in his selection he should be applauded.

Marmaduke

Our team was great, i'd say it could rival our first team for attacking thrust. The defence let us down, but thats down to us not having replacement fullbacks of an acceptable quality. The manager's job is to get a result, its why Wenger has been critisized because he prefers aesthetics over results. Now that he's been pragmatic in his selection he should be applauded.
Going to go with Jury on this. Our attack was great because it was full of senior players playing against a Belarussian team. In fact it was our senior players period that held it relatively well.

The midfield was very shaky as was our defense. A mid-table German/English/Spanish team would bury at least 2 more goals against us.

It was great that we won, rested players, and got some youth involved but it was a gamble that could have easily backfired. Remember, for BATE these games are the biggest of the season for them so for all the lack comparatively in talent they could truck some academy youngsters.

*Also for what it's worth, I didn't really see anything outstanding from our youth that night (not writing anyone off). Nothing horribly bad either.

pacstud

The result supports nothing. It's not about the result, as I've stated and explained very clearly.
I'd agree that process based goals are very important and at many lower developmental levels even trump match results.

It would seem apparent that the goal of this game was to win and gain minutes for our depth as well as getting some quality work in with our top players.

If that was the goal, I'd say mission accomplished.

Tywin

6 points from 2 games, fringe players getting minutes and putting in performances, small step away from 2nd round now. What's the argument about again?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
6 points from 2 games, fringe players getting minutes and putting in performances, small step away from 2nd round now. What's the argument about again?
There is no arguing the outcome. It was good all round. Very satisfying. Winning always is, regardless of how you did it or who you did it with.

Personally though, I'd like to see us treat this competition exactly the same as we would the Champions League regarding team selection. That's all.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
*Also for what it's worth, I didn't really see anything outstanding from our youth that night (not writing anyone off). Nothing horribly bad either.
I thought they all did good tbh, with Nelson confirming the hype even in a low key performance by his own standards and playing out of position again. The feints out wide and touches around the box was like watching a star stroll through a game against mugs. Sometimes it's these performances with a sprinkling of class say more for me than blasting a couple of goals.

BobP

Memri Fan
There is no arguing the outcome. It was good all round. Very satisfying. Winning always is, regardless of how you did it or who you did it with.

Personally though, I'd like to see us treat this competition exactly the same as we would the Champions League regarding team selection. That's all.

I get where you're coming from.

However, I think it provides us with an invaluable opportunity to bed in young players into senior football, which cannot be underestimated. I think it's a testament to the ability of the players being brought into the squad that they've managed to perform relatively well, considering that the Europa League, especially for players coming from the U23 competition, is probably no walk in the park.

The League Cup used to be utilised for this kind of thing, it still is mind you, but you get what maybe 2 or 3 games into the competition before the youthful starting 11 is knocked out? IMO, that's not enough.

Ultimately, my view on the manner is, if you can get away with it, why not do so. It's not like we're wasting spots in the starting 11 on guys like Debuchy.

Furthermore, it'd be a pain fielding our main starting 11 in the Europa League. For example, if we did so against Bate, they'd have had to get ready for another game in 2 days against Brighton.

Tywin

You can't treat the EL group stages like you would the CL group stages surely. As BobP pointed out the rest time between games is much shorter and the competition is much easier. For a big team like ours the fringe should be enough to get you into the knockout stages when you start to play more of your first team.

Don't get me wrong I rate the EL above the FA/League cup and would love to win it but it's still a cup competition where anything can happen and our prority has to be the 4th place trophy. The scheduling of the EL is the main problem with short rest days till you next PL game.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You can't treat the EL group stages like you would the CL group stages surely. As BobP pointed out the rest time between games is much shorter and the competition is much easier.

Easier on the players too. It also works that way. Anyway, that's how I'd do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom