• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEL QF 1st Leg: Arsenal v SSC Napoli | April 11, 2019 20:00 BST | BT Sport

What will be the result after the first leg?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

preview_image

So here it is, the big one. Possibly the toughest team left for us to face in the competition and we’ve got them now.

Big decisions need to be made by Emery about how we approach this, I think key is trying to stop them getting an away goal, I rate our attack too much to blank in both ties. For me set up the team to play deep and hit them on the break.

Looking at our potential starting line up I’d go with:

Leno
AMN - Kos - Sokratis - Monreal
Ramsey - Torreira - Guendouzi
Iwobi - PEA - Lacazette

Obviously dependent on Kos being fit but it’s a huge risk for me to chuck Xhaka in the midfield straight off an injury. We need pace in the front three if we’re going to get after them.

As for Napoli they’re not in the greatest form right now, despite giving Roma a drubbing recently they lost to Empoli midweek and could only draw against 10 man Genoa on the weekend.

As has always been the case though, Carlo is a seasoned pro at going deep into European competition and they will be very tough opposition. They arguably should’ve gone through from the CL group, were good value against both PSG and Liverpool.

Keep an eye out though for Koulibaly, our next CB signing :lol:

Throwback match:

This absolute demolition from 2013/14 where we should’ve won by an even bigger margin. Beautiful first Arsenal goal for Özil as well.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Think it'll be 1-1.Napoli is quite good side,offensive balanced and Ancelotti knows how to put right team in Europe.They did well in CL also.

I have no doubts that we will score,but defence can be real problem.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Napoli's second choice goalkeeper must be poor if he's understudy to Ospina. Fancy us to win but we will need at least a 2 goal margin to get through this tie.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Insigne back for so that bad news for us thier attack will be too much for our defense so hopefully we'll not concede that'll make our game at napoli much harder.
Emery won't go four at the back with unability of niles Mustafi to defend. He'll go 3412 again

Cech
Niles Sokratis Mustafi Monreal Kola
Torreira Ramsey
Özil
Lacazzete Auba

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

How does that translate into wins/losses in knockout ties?

Our most recent knockout ties vs Italian teams:

Won in 2017/18 EL last 16 vs AC Milan
Lost in 2011/12 CL last 16 vs AC Milan
Won in 2011/12 CL qualifier vs Udinese
Won in 2008/09 CL last 16 vs AS Roma
Won in 2007/08 CL last 16 vs AC Milan
Won in 2005/06 CL QF vs Juventus
Lost in 1994 European Super Cup vs AC Milan
Won in 1994 Cup Winners Cup Final vs Parma
Won in 1994 Cup Winners Cup QF vs Torino

Edit: Also worth noting our 2003/04 away group game vs Inter was a win or go home match. And of course we all know what happened there...

Last edited:

blaze_of_glory

Need a 2-0 or 3-0 coming out of this unless we turn our away form around dramatically for the second leg.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Emery is a master in this competition. Go all guns blazing from the first minute and blow them away. None of this nonsense of feeling our way into the game or leaving players on the bench 'just in case'.

----------------------------Cech------------------------------------
-------------Koscielny-------Mustafi-------Sokratis------------------
--AMN----------------------------------------------------Monreal---
-----------------Torreria--------------Ramsey------------------------
------------------------------Özil----------------------------------------
----------------------PEA-----------Laca--------------------------------

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Emery is a master in this competition. Go all guns blazing from the first minute and blow them away. None of this nonsense of feeling our way into the game or leaving players on the bench 'just in case'.

----------------------------Cech------------------------------------
-------------Koscielny-------Mustafi-------Sokratis------------------
--AMN----------------------------------------------------Monreal---
-----------------Torreria--------------Ramsey------------------------
------------------------------Özil----------------------------------------
----------------------PEA-----------Laca--------------------------------

Good eleven, i would start Lichtsteiner over AMN tho.

Wryer

This is a Champions League level match up and we jolly well be up for it. Going in with the same attitude vs Everton and we will be humiliated over two legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom