• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEL SF 1st Leg: Arsenal v Atletico Madrid | April 26, 2018 20:05 BST | BT Sport

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Mkhitaryan back in the team will be a huge plus in terms of creativity, movement and output. We should've scored more and not conceded, but it's still a ****ing draw. Can definitely win this tie, just have to go for it and score one.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Mate, you don't need build up play if our entire defence gets done by a long ball over the top. No matter how Atleti set up, or how well they express themselves, we will be the masters of our undoing. Atleti will get the first.. we will look even more shaky and they will put a beating on us.

We have seen it so many times it's amazing that people can expect anything different.

They’re not gonna carve us up that much, same again as tonight and with hopefully Mkhi back and we put them away.

We’ll be be stronger next week.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Can definitely win this tie, just have to go for it and score one.
We lack aggressiveness in front of goal and we're gonna have to find it somehow if we want to make them hurt. Play direct and force them to make fouls like tonight, although that bum ref was playing catch up after sending Vrsaljko off and blew the whistle for all their dives.
It's not impossible to score against them, but we need to stop playing around the box and run at their defenders more.
The mistakes will eventually come if you put pressure on them.

Last edited:

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Costa will try everything to get someone sent off next week he will annoy Kosh mustafi xhaka so much dive a lot

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Costa will try everything to get someone sent off next week he will annoy Kosh mustafi xhaka so much dive a lot
That's why I'd play Per instead of one of those clowns. At least he's cool headed and can try to organize the defense a bit. Last season I was sweating bullets when I heard he was playing the FA Cup final and he bossed it all game long.

Gamefaced

The tie isn't over, but it is so disappointing that once again our inability to defend properly has soured the mood. We started off well in the first half, but it tailed off a bit, then 2nd half Atletico battened down the hatches and it was all us before the dejavu of a defensive horror show reared it's head at 1-0 to us.

There were quite a few errors in that goal we conceded, firstly why was Welbeck trying to take on 3 players like he is Messi?! He handed them back the ball. Monreal also then kept Griemann on side. Why in a 4 v 1 situation against a team with 10 men did we not have one defender man marking/ manhandling Griezmann while the other played sweeper?! poor organisation and tactical execution.

We should of scored more goals, but it would of been nice not to concede also. We have to now think about only beating Atletico, despite their cureent record I feel we can score, but defensively you have to worry about us over there.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Well, that was a kick in the f*cking guts. Some thoughts...

- Good atmosphere, although the plastic flags were a bit ridiculous. Also they played "Good Old Arsenal" before the match, which I don't remember being played before? Anyway, they should play that before every match.

- Atletico finessed us, finessed us good and proper. Initially I thought they were gonna finesse us with a 0-0, but they went one better and did a 1-1. Fair f*cks to them, I've never seen a 10-man team look so unflustered and organised. If they go through then fair play, cos that was a big boy performance from them.

- Oblak is really f*cking good.

- I'm not gonna go into the specifics of our defending for their goal, cos my brain cannot handle that sh*t right now. But in general I always thought our defending would most likely cost us this competition at some point. Granted, I didn't expect it to happen in *such* bone-shatteringly stupid manner, but a team which repeatedly proves it cannot defend is unlikely to win a European competition.

- I think we thought, or hoped, that when Wenger announced his departure the team would sort of perform out of itself, it would transcend its current state and do something above its limitations, y'know? Well, that hasn't happened. This was a performance which perfectly illustrated all the flaws of this team, from slow passing to over-elaboration to lack of ruthlessness to horrible defending. So no great news headline, we've just performed in a way which we have been programmed to do. It's just disappointing.

- Poor management also, why no f*cking subs? I know none of our subs had any real quality, but for a good while in the 2nd half you could see we were tiring. Iwobi, Kolasinac, Nelson even, just someone to wake the team up a bit.

- In the circumstances, yeah it'd be fair to expect a 2-0 or 3-0 from that, but I was perfectly happy at 1-0. It wouldn't have been a great performance but it would've been a good result at least. But at 1-1 it's neither. You have no right to win the trophy if you let them score that equaliser, maybe the team will pull something out the bag next week but I doubt it.

- I just got home and it's nearly 1 in the morning, my voice is shredded to bits, i'm knackered and I feel completely f*cking dejected. Ugh.

IslingtonBornandbred

Just got home from the game. What can I say, typical Arsenal.

I didn't think we'd score against them to be fair. When they went down to 10 men I thought it was a bad thing because that's their food and drink. Absolute masters at the dark arts. Godin was a warrior. I don't mind that. They did what they had to do to get through the game. Night and day between the teams mentalities. If they go up 1-0 at home against 10 men, no way are they conceding. We are just very naive.

I don't think we hurt them enough in the final third. We lacked the ability to get at their full backs one on one but we did move the ball well, just a little slow and horizontally at times. Even though I posted earlier we are poor on the counter and I've sat in the North Bank and witnessed goals against us on the counter (more than I can remember) time and time again, I didn't expect them to create anything. They were happy with the 1-0, but boom, one long ball and a goal. West Ham got in a few times that way as well. If I was facing this Arsenal defence, I'd just say stick it over the top of them a few times and see what happens....Mustafi/Kos will always end up giving you a chance. I fail to see how you don't blame Wenger at least partly for this. The issue isn't not scoring chances. You aren't going to win every game by three or four goals. That's why you need to be solid and alert at the back. Godin had his arms out to his side all game, pushing his back line up and pulling them back when needed. Monreal shouldn't be allowed be that far back. Kos or Mustafi (can just about tie his laces so probably not him), but someone should be in control of the line.

When the same thing happens once or twice let alone over and over again, as a coach you sit down and assess what the issue is, and then work on it in training or/and in the video room. You pull players into positions, you drill them, you work on the team's structure and shape in and out of possession. It always falls on the manager. If Mustafi isn't concentrating and isn't covering around the back of Koscielny, like Koscielny used to do for Per, when that ball goes long, and Monreal is too deep...these are individuals errors in a sense that each player is in control of his own actions, but the shape and structure of the team is the managers responsibility. Nobody can blame Wenger for missing chances, but you can certainly blame him for the team's vulnerability in defence, especially on the counter. If Koscielny clears that ball we get away with it, but it doesn't change the fact the defence were in awful positions.

I'd be very surprised, in fact shocked, if we get through this tie.

Last edited:

blaze_of_glory

I hate home games in European knock out games, the away rule messes me up.
It's a stupid rule and I'm not just saying it due to these circumstances. It makes the home teams afraid to go for it in front of their own fans, and encourages away teams to just sit once they get a goal. Get rid, everyone likes extra time anyway.

Arsenal in Aus

I feel oddly comfortable with this result. If we can't beat 10 man Athletico at home then we don't deserve to lift the trophy and don't deserve CL football next season.

Fish. Those are fish.

Hard to do that mate!

gd46qmmdkgkijbvbb9fi.gif

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Man, what a shame. I thought you played well (although obviously with a massive advantage all game) so this feels like a massive lost opportunity. You looked great going forward.

You've been sneaky good away in Europe for years. For some reason you play so much better with your backs against the wall, so I don't think this is over yet.

VancouverCanuck

Just got home from the game. What can I say, typical Arsenal.

I didn't think we'd score against them to be fair. When they went down to 10 men I thought it was a bad thing because that's their food and drink. Absolute masters at the dark arts. Godin was a warrior. I don't mind that. They did what they had to do to get through the game. Night and day between the teams mentalities. If they go up 1-0 at home against 10 men, no way are they conceding. We are just very naive.

I don't think we hurt them enough in the final third. We lacked the ability to get at their full backs one on one but we did move the ball well, just a little slow and horizontally at times. Even though I posted earlier we are poor on the counter and I've sat in the North Bank and witnessed goals against us on the counter (more than I can remember) time and time again, I didn't expect them to create anything. They were happy with the 1-0, but boom, one long ball and a goal. West Ham got in a few times that way as well. If I was facing this Arsenal defence, I'd just say stick it over the top of them a few times and see what happens....Mustafi/Kos will always end up giving you a chance. I fail to see how you don't blame Wenger at least partly for this. The issue isn't not scoring chances. You aren't going to win every game by three or four goals. That's why you need to be solid and alert at the back. Godin had his arms out to his side all game, pushing his back line up and pulling them back when needed. Monreal shouldn't be allowed be that far back. Kos or Mustafi (can just about tie his laces so probably not him), but someone should be in control of the line.

When the same thing happens once or twice let alone over and over again, as a coach you sit down and assess what the issue is, and then work on it in training or/and in the video room. You pull players into positions, you drill them, you work on the team's structure and shape in and out of possession. It always falls on the manager. If Mustafi isn't concentrating and isn't covering around the back of Koscielny, like Koscielny used to do for Per, when that ball goes long, and Monreal is too deep...these are individuals errors in a sense that each player is in control of his own actions, but the shape and structure of the team is the managers responsibility. Nobody can blame Wenger for missing chances, but you can certainly blame him for the team's vulnerability in defence, especially on the counter. If Koscielny clears that ball we get away with it, but it doesn't change the fact the defence were in awful positions.

I'd be very surprised, in fact shocked, if we get through this tie.
Nope we didn’t win because of squad cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom