<

UEL SF 2nd Leg: Atletico Madrid (1) v Arsenal (1) | May 3, 2018 20:05 BST | BT Sport

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by American_Gooner, Apr 29, 2018.

?

Match Prediction for the Rex Banner Derby?

Poll closed May 3, 2018.
  1. Arsenal Win

51.9%
  2. 0-0

3.7%
  3. Score Draw

21.0%
  4. Atletico Win

23.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rain Dance

Rain Dance Well-Known Member Trusted

just to remind you before Arsène, Arsenal was boring (we were boring during the first few years of Arsène as an impact of the past too)

2. Kash

Kash Arsene FC Supporter

and the water no longer will be turned to wine. Now drink from the tap like everyone else.

carlito'sway likes this.
  3. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

It would still be morally correct for us

We dont have Nor spend as much as the Manchester teams, not even our two local rivals, or The big teams out in Europe

We are perpetual underdogs, just like athletico

So playing Simeone football would be totally okey in my book, if we won

IslingtonBornandbred likes this.
  4. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

I just felt empty

It is a losers comp

We even failed to win a participation trophy

The CL spot was huge thou

But it could be good for the new manager to have this comp with less pressure for his first season

Hence Wenger should have left before this season

ThlRama likes this.
  5. Jasard

Jasard Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Clearly the team dont give a **** about Wenger. No where near enough drive to win the tie.

kopzilla likes this.
  6. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James

Atletico aren’t even that negative in their play. When the opponent has it in their own half they push up and press them like a bunch of mad men. If you can play around the press you can get in behind them if you play it quickly (which we rarely do these days). Otherwise they all get back into position and defend the width of the penalty box. If the press manages to force you to lose the ball in your own half or in the middle of the pitch they’re very quick and incisive with their counter-attacking. They’re not the sort of team that pass it around endlessly and then try and find the key pass but there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

I actually find counter-attacking football far more exciting than the slow aimless **** we’ve been served up in the last few years.

7. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians Who Show Great Character

6th highest revenue in world football. 45% more than the team that put us out last night. Where we belong is at the top table.

8. Kroket

Kroket Trusty and Sensible Trusted

Simeone's Atletico teams make most Mourinho sides look like Keegan's Newcastle. Can't argue with the quite frankly brilliant results he's getting but it makes for rough viewing. This Atletico team could have absolutely annihilated us over two legs if they'd only shown a bit more ambition.

Imagine having so much attacking quality you're able to bench Costa, Torres and Gameiro and still serve up such an unnecessarily cautious brand of football.

kopzilla and carlito'sway like this.
  9. Troopz

Troopz Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but there are no positives from losing last night.

Arsène Wenger has left this football club in a bad state. I'd rather we lose our final games and not even qualify for Europa League.

**** it at least we can focusing on qualifying the proper way through the league.

It's going to take me a couple of days to get over that shambles from last night.

10. Jasard

Jasard Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Lost 9 away games in 4 months.

11. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

I don;t feel this is true. I think we need to wait and see. We have a great youth group coming through. We've made decent signings in the last 3 windows and they just need some proper organising.

We've won a few trophies in the last few years so we are not considered unsuccessful at the moment. We're just falling short.

carlito'sway and LGooner98 like this.
  12. CJJ

CJJ Well-Known Member

"Shambles" ?? The final against City was shambles.
    We just lost 0-1 away at Atletico and you call it shambles? Get some sense.

News flash: In football you sometimes lose. Doesn't mean you have to label it shambles every time.

carlito'sway likes this.
  13. Penn_

Penn_ Established Member

Of course we’re happy to have him but it’s more awful planning by the club. Just like the addition of Mikitaryan, outstanding player, but leaves us with no variety in attack and no room to add.

Troopz likes this.
  14. Hunta

Hunta Shivering Right Now Trusted

Best thing about last night bar the performance of Chambers, we got to see captain Jack and captain Aaron. Both in one night. :drool:

Sapient Hawk and bingobob like this.
  15. Troopz

Troopz Well-Known Member

Over both ties it was a shambles.

We played against 10 men for 80 minutes in the first leg. We should have beat them by 3 or 4 in that first leg. I'm sure Atletico would have done the same had one of our players been sent off.

Last night was bad too. We hardly had a proper chance on goal. All we did is sideways passing without no substance.

Look at when Sporting Lisbon played Atletico. They had numerous opportunities at Oblak in Spain even though they lost.

16. Giroud12

Giroud12 Well-Known Member

Agreed, think some people are overreacting a bit. The way we went out to an average Monaco side and the Bayern 10-2 was much, much worse. 1-0 away to atletico is not bad. Its the home leg we should have won with 4-5 goals.

If it was City completely outplaying the nr 2 side in La Liga at home, only getting an undeserved 1-1, the media would call it bad luck. If Mourniho had gotten away with 1-0 away, it would have been another "tactical masterpiece".

We were by far the better team over 2 legs and we really deserved to go through.

17. Troopz

Troopz Well-Known Member

I'll explain...

If the rumours are true then we only have a 50m budget in the summer yet we need to sort out numerous positions (GK, 2x CBs, CM, LW/RW).

We spunked most of our budget on getting Aubameyang. Whether that was a smart move only time will tell yet we had more pressing issues than signing another striker at the time.

18. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk The Reason We're Out of Europe

All without yet mentioning our contemptible squad cost!!

We're really up a creek aren't we? :lol:

Hunta likes this.
  19. progman07

progman07 Well-Known Member

Especially, because this is 100% his group, which he had unlimited time and freedom to build...

20. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Yes worrying suggestions of this. Hoping that these reports are nothing but speculation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.