<

UEL SF 2nd Leg: Atletico Madrid (1) v Arsenal (1) | May 3, 2018 20:05 BST | BT Sport

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by American_Gooner, Apr 29, 2018.

?

Match Prediction for the Rex Banner Derby?

Poll closed May 3, 2018.
  1. Arsenal Win

51.9%
  2. 0-0

3.7%
  3. Score Draw

21.0%
  4. Atletico Win

23.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Özillionaire

Özillionaire Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

It's just a lie to get us to reduce our expectation for the new manager, in my opinion. We all hear 50m budget, we all assume no top manager wants to work under 50m budget, we lower our expectations, they sign an inexperienced manager for cheap and save 5-8m per year on wages.

It's just Kroenke being three steps ahead and playing our fans as usual.

Gooner Zig likes this.
  2. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

I think also you can add that we were desperate for someone who can score goals/assist like Alexis. We couldn't find a goal scoring winger.

3. Flying Okapis

Flying Okapis Most Well-Known Member

I bet if you asked the Atletico fans if their happy with their manager right now the answer will be yes.

The feeling of knowing your team can defend and go get a result vs what defensive mistake are we going to make today?

I've seen 'Wengerball' and the attacking philosphy, its all well and good but the feeling of when we give up the game due to not being able to defend is far worse than being on the other side.

I would be proud of the club if I was an Atletico fan this morning, defending like the 300 against wave of attacks over the two legs and delivering two killer blows.. bet it feels a lot better than how us Arsenal fans are feeling........ again!

It may be boring and not very entertaining but it would be nice to watch these nights with a bit of confidence instead of fear that we either wont turn up or will hand the game to the opposition.

IslingtonBornandbred and Poldma like this.
  4. Sanis

Sanis Well-Known Member

With Giroud we would have finished this in the first leg.

Fallout, asukru, Jae and 2 others like this.
  5. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk The Reason We're Out of Europe

The most depressing realization is that what remains with today, other than the anger, are the cowardly & craven lot who wear our colors.

We can't shift them soon enough.

Rimaal likes this.
  6. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Exactly what I said last night while we pinged (admittedly pathetic) crosses into the box with absolutely nobody on the end of them,

7. HollandGooner

HollandGooner Well-Known Member

He could have bullied the defenders more i agreed, we should not have sold him in January just keep him and look in the summer how to move on. big mistake. another year in the Europe League cannot take that tbf.

8. Sanis

Sanis Well-Known Member

Giroud scored plenty of his goals from first touch (not only headers) in this tie our attackers lacked composure and often made to many touches or simply had poor first touch.

9. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

Watched the replay of their goal with Keown commentary. The back line was in a good shape, pushed up nicely. When we lost the ball, 3 of them dropped quickly in shape.

Bellerin though was daydreaming and watching the ball instead of Costa. He reacted far too late and couldn't catch him.

Simeone and Burgos would have torn him a new one for that.

asukru, Kroket and Gooner Zig like this.
  10. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

Godin would've got stuck into him as well. That is what's missing in the back four, someone that will lead by example and hold the rest to the high standards they set.

asukru, Makingtrax and Gooner Zig like this.
  11. Preacher

Preacher Anti-Ornstein

Bellerin probably disappointed me the most from all the players this season. He's regressing every season. I had such high hopes for him, but it looks like he doesn't want to become better footballer himself.

12. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians Who Show Great Character

It's also missing on the sideline. That goal came down the touchline closest to Wenger. Where is he? Sitting in the dugout in arguably the biggest game of his Arsenal career. Can you imagine Pep, Mourinho , Klopp , Pochettino or Conte sitting doing nothing with minutes to go before half time? I certainly can't. We can all speculate about what goes on behind the scenes but on match day we know our manager rarely gets involved. Whereas his competitors his rivals are out kicking every ball. That translates onto the field for the players.

IslingtonBornandbred and Jae like this.
  13. Natnat

Natnat Active Member Elite

The team just turned up for the game ,they made silly mistakes.

14. <<reed>>

<<reed>> Meme Merchant

Don't understand the posters blaming the players, I am sure they all wanted to win the game and the first leg showed we had enough quality to beat them, but that loss is about the manager's work, at the top level you need something more than just a desire & good players.
    I am not a big fan of Atleti's football, but you have to admit they know their ****, they are able to produce quality defensive & counter-attacking football in 9 games of 10. Meanwhile we are so inconsistent, our attacks were so good in the first leg, and we still couldn't string 2 good games in a row. How many really good attacking performances have we had this season, 10? That's a number for Mourinho's United tbh. It's amazing that we still have a reputation of a team playing beautiful attacking football.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  15. Penn_

Penn_ Established Member

Probably would've been better off losing the first leg by another goal with how we went about it last night. We looked torn been attack and defence for most of the game as one goal was it all it would take to change things.

Kept expecting us to just go for it but it never came.

16. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

Wenger's fault for persisting with players who haven't been arsed all season and who make the same mistakes again and again. If it was any other manager they'd be dropped. Wenger's sentiment has been his biggest downfall and it's the main reason I'm glad he's going.

Özillionaire likes this.
  17. rich 1990

rich 1990 Men's Rights Activist

After your post about the Liverpool dude, I don't believe you.

18. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

That, mon ami, is entirely your problem.

19. Penn_

Penn_ Established Member

Guess it's irrelevant now but where did the three minutes added time come from in the first half?

Koscielny goes down after seven minutes played and Chambers is subbed on around twelve. Even if there hadn't been any further bookings, free kicks or corners it's way off straight away.

Aevi, Kroket, Gooner Zig and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.