• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The experience of managers is overrated here. For me, the ability to adapt, innovate and creativity are far more important traits than experience. I've seen enough piss poor work from experienced big name managers to back that up with arguments, but I'm not going to write a 300 line post here.
Man U is a fine example of all those crazy opinions about the managers. 3 big name managers after Ferguson failed so hard there that it was embarrassing to put that job on a CV, but 4th manager comes in with less experience and everybody agrees that he shouldn't manage a big club anymore. So may I ask, what's the difference between LVG/Mourinho and Ole? All 3 of them did a crapy job with different experience levels so that rules out experience as a factor of success. Could it be that none of them have the ability to be creative and innovative?
I'm not saying here that Ljungberg, Vieira or Arteta should be the next Arsenal manager, but why to rule any of them out based on experience when it's clear that it's not a deciding factor of success.
I'm honestly not too happy seeing us parking the bus against top half teams and I would welcome someone else who has more creative approach to the game, and I couldn't care less about the experience that person brings in.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
I'm honestly not too happy seeing us parking the bus against top half teams and I would welcome someone else who has more creative approach to the game, and I couldn't care less about the experience that person brings in.

Out of interest, what would have been your creative approach vs the team with the hottest win streak in European football?

Man Utd used to park the bus, watch us waste possession and hit us on the break. They beat us using this method over and over and over again. Apparently they had the greatest manager that ever lived?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Out of interest, what would have been your creative approach vs the team with the hottest win streak in European football?

Man Utd used to park the bus, watch us waste possession and hit us on the break. They beat us using this method over and over and over again. Apparently they had the greatest manager that ever lived?
Oh sorry, not talking about a single game approach (they would probably beat us in any formation), it's more like we are in a defensive shape even against bottom half teams, we barely dominate any games. Even if the plan is to counter teams, it's not working really well. It can be hard after 20 years of free flow attacking football to switch mindset and think that we need to play like Everton. That's why I would rather continue with someone who has different ideas about football than Emery

Uncle Good-Advice

If the club is really desperate for a former player as manager, there is only one option. Not Freddie, not Arteta, but Vieira.

Still, way premature this kind of talk.
This is interesting call. Nice under Vieira scored a grand total of 30 goals throughout last season, most of their games were borefests. They started better this campaign though. We'll see.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Just want an attacking manager who will play Aubameyang - Lacazette - Pepe at their full potential. Don’t care if it’s a former player or even Emery himself.Emery fooled me and our management with his “I’d rather win 5-4 than 1-0” quotes but maybe he’s still that guy. By the end of the season we’ll know for sure and the management will have to make a decision.

Don’t think I can take another year of boring football.

say yes

forum master baiter
We were better attacking wise but worse defensively (because we parked the bus for 90 mins). Still with an attacking approach we were closer to winning the game than with a defensive one, despite having Maitland-Niles on the wing and Mustafi on defence last year.
I don’t understand. We lost by a greater xG (and significantly more goals) last year than we did this year. How is that closer?

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
I don’t understand. We lost by a greater xG (and significantly more goals) last year than we did this year. How is that closer?
xG is Expected Goals, xGA is Expected Goals Against.

We had a higher xG last year (1 vs 0.8), which means we played better from an attacking point of view, despite having Maitland-Niles and Iwobi on the wings.

We were closer to winning because we actually took the lead at one point in the game, just needed a better defensive performance from our players, which we had this year. (No Mustafi, no Lichtsteiner and no Kolasinac). So had we taken a more attacking approach this game, our chances of winning would be higher considering the personnel we had we had in defence this year compared to last year.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Didn't we score the most goals last season? *

How boring was it really?

*City and Liverpool are off in their own breakaway-league and therefore their goal tallies should be discounted ;)

say yes

forum master baiter
xG is Expected Goals, xGA is Expected Goals Against.

We had a higher xG last year (1 vs 0.8), which means we played better from an attacking point of view, despite having Maitland-Niles and Iwobi on the wings.

We were closer to winning because we actually took the lead at one point in the game, just needed a better defensive performance from our players, which we had this year. (No Mustafi, no Lichtsteiner and no Kolasinac). So had we taken a more attacking approach this game, our chances of winning would be higher considering the personnel we had we had in defence this year compared to last year.

Are you trolling?

1. Scoring first doesn’t mean that we were “closer to winning”. Our lead lasted 3 minutes and we were losing within 5 minutes. We literally conceded 5 goals last season ffs.

2. The actual margin of defeat was bigger last season and, using your own numbers, the expected margin of defeat was also bigger. You started this numbers game. I repeat, how is that closer?

3. Can’t believe I have to explain this on a football forum, but scoring goals does not automatically win football matches. If you concede more than you score, you will lose. Yes, we were more attacking last season. However, both the actual scoreline, and the expected scoreline, say that we were further away from winning because of how vulnerable this made us defensively. The two are linked. You can’t just take last season’s (marginally better) attacking performance and superimpose some better defending on it as if the team’s mentality throughout is irrelevant.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Are you trolling?

1. Scoring first doesn’t mean that we were “closer to winning”. Our lead lasted 3 minutes and we were losing within 5 minutes. We literally conceded 5 goals last season ffs.

2. The actual margin of defeat was bigger last season and, using your own numbers, the expected margin of defeat was also bigger. You started this numbers game. I repeat, how is that closer?

3. Can’t believe I have to explain this on a football forum, but scoring goals does not automatically win football matches. If you concede more than you score, you will lose. Yes, we were more attacking last season. However, both the actual scoreline, and the expected scoreline, say that we were further away from winning because of how vulnerable this made us defensively. The two are linked. You can’t just take last season’s (marginally better) attacking performance and superimpose some better defending on it as if the team’s mentality throughout is irrelevant.
We had a lead against Liverpool last year which at no point we did this year, that quite literally means that we were closer to winning the game last year. Not that we were close, just closer than this year. And that is despite having Lichtsteiner, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Iwobi, Maitland-Niles (as RW) on the field.

So Emery did a worse job this year with better players available than last year. Pretty unbelievable but true.

If Emery had taken the same approach this year but now with better players, the performance would be much better and closer as we saw Chelsea do it.

say yes

forum master baiter
We had a lead against Liverpool last year which at no point we did this year, that quite literally means that we were closer to winning the game last year. Not that we were close, just closer than this year. And that is despite having Lichtsteiner, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Iwobi, Maitland-Niles (as RW) on the field.

So Emery did a worse job this year with better players available than last year. Pretty unbelievable but true.

If Emery had taken the same approach this year but now with better players, the performance would be much better and closer as we saw Chelsea do it.

This is just silly now. Applying your logic, a team that scores in the 1st minute but loses 20-1 is closer to winning than a team which draws 0-0 but misses a penalty, hits the woodwork 7 times, and has three goals wrongly ruled out for offside.

Embarrassing argument. This is what happens when people back themselves into a corner. So blinded by your agenda that you can’t see the wood for the trees.

Would be much easier for you if you just admitted that you read the stats the wrong way round and/or are bad at maths and/or don’t understand xG when you initially claimed that the stats “literally proved” we were closer last year. Yes we’d give you a bit of stick, but at least you’d retain some credibility.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Christ. :lol::lol:

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
This is just silly now. Applying your logic, a team that scores in the 1st minute but loses 20-1 is closer to winning than a team which draws 0-0 but misses a penalty, hits the woodwork 7 times, and has three goals wrongly ruled out for offside.

Embarrassing argument. This is what happens when people back themselves into a corner. So blinded by your agenda that you can’t see the wood for the trees.

Would be much easier for you if you just admitted that you read the stats the wrong way round and/or are bad at maths and/or don’t understand xG when you initially claimed that the stats “literally proved” we were closer last year. Yes we’d give you a bit of stick, but at least you’d retain some credibility.
Now you are just making things up instead of actually debating my argument. If you are interested in continuing the debate without going off in a tangent, I’m willing.

Toast

Established Member

giphy.gif

Chaoz_Enigma

I thought playing compact 4-4-2 to stifle and tire out Liverpool is a good plan(as they usually do not press much at the end of first half and mid of second half) before countering them as shown we did have a few chances from Aubameyang and Pepe. It just became undone due to matip's goal.

I think Emery's decision got some decisions with good logic behind it. Lacazette is just back from injury, torreira is lacking in fitness. He have to start pepe as he would not want to cut down more of his attacking sharpness. Ceballos was on the back of a good game he have to start. Willock has been showing some good perofrmances too. In the end the most logical way is to give a compact low block as opposed to high press block which cut us apart early in the last few games with Liverpool. Our game plan hinges upon risky long passes from guendouzi and xhaka and to a certain extent luiz and hope auba and pepe manage to score which they came close. Of course individually we are just not there yet therefore the individual mistakes happened.

The gameplan imo is logical and not a bad one either. But we have to accept we are just not that good and gelled yet in terms of transition to attack. But we do see some progress as opposed to coming to Anfield with gung ho approach to match them. The full backs for most of the match they did well in the beginning by staying back and defend in low block as opposed to flying down the wings to open them. I think we should just see how we do against tottenham first before judging much about Emery. And we have to accept this is currently our level and not let our ego and emotions blind ourselves.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters

:lol:

One of the worst arguments I've read on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom