• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery, half season report card

How satisfied are you with Unai Emery's performance on a scale from 1-10?

• Total voters

He is doing okay so far. A few warning signs though in recent weeks in how he handle the stars of the squad. This is not Sevilla. Even with impotent owner the fans still want to see stars at Arsenal and still want to see Arsenal compete for the biggest trophies!

Mind you though that just like Arsenal is trying to grow as club, Emery is also growing as manager. Its why I thought Emery would work very well as manager at Arsenal, and I still do!

My goal was to compete for top4 next season but we still have a outside chance of getting it if we start to show improvements soon in new year! All in all I think Emery is ahead of schedule and I think a lot of things tactically will start to click very soon!

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
This Arsenal squad is clearly better than Sp**s' and 'pool's when poch and Klopp took over. "Klopp only got them to 8th in his first season" doesn't hold up cause that team just wasn't any better than that. Guy came in during the season in October, I think, and got ****ing Ragnar Klavan in the winter.
I don’t use that example as a stick to beat Klopp with, it’s just to show that even a top manager like him had some teething problems initially in the league. We lament dropping points against the lesser teams but Liverpool had the same problem in his early days too.
Still, even with muppets like Klavan and Leiva in there you could see the first glimpses of Klopp's trademark style. I have yet to see anything resembling refined football or a distinct style from Emery. That's the big difference
Without the ball I see some improvement. There’s been more pressing than in years past, and in particular against Liverpool the team had a much better shape out of possession. We’re also the only team along with Chelsea I believe that hasn’t conceded from a corner yet, which was a weak spot previously.

I agree we haven’t looked convincing in attack, but I think that’s a personnel issue. The team needs at least another wide player, it was the case under Wenger as well. We sold Alexis, Theo and Ox without replacing them. What would help us at the moment would be to give Auba, Laca and Özil a consistent run together. We might not be able to add another player in attack until the summer , but hopefully the class of those 3 can come through. Giving them a sustained together will help give us tenchoesion that’s currently lacking due to Emery changing the team every week.
On the basis of what Klopp had done before and what he was doing at Liverpool from day one, it was clear that with additions he would make them a significantly better team. With Emery I have serious question marks over what he's actually doing or envisioning here and thus doubt that even with costly additions he'll be able to pull us back into the Top 4 again - not this season and not next season.
Doubting his pedigree is harsh imo. He’s shown with Valencia that he can get a team without huge finances into the top 3. The at Sevilla he had the two fifth place finishes and won the EL twice, we’d take that this season. It was difficult to push on from that with Real and Barca’s dominance at the top end of the table. There’s a glass ceiling for managers outside the big two in Spain (Simeone the obvious exception), but if he can get the team into the top 4 there’s every chance he can build on that and challenge for the PL with the right additions.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I agree we haven’t looked convincing in attack, but I think that’s a personnel issue.

To make it short, I think we'll disagree cause of this. While most seem to understand building a solid defence is the hardest thing for a manager, I think it's actually the attack. Building an attack that doesn't purely and simply rely on individual class and chance is the hardest thing to do. There's so many managers who are capeable of organizing and solidifying a defence, but then struggle to give their teams tools at hand with which they can thorougly and consistently create.

I am fully aware that individual quality will always play a significant role, but in my opinion it's overemphasized. So I disagree that our problems in attack is an issue of personnel.

Doubting his pedigree is harsh imo. He’s shown with Valencia that he can get a team without huge finances into the top 3. The at Sevilla he had the two fifth place finishes and won the EL twice, we’d take that this season. It was difficult to push on from that with Real and Barca’s dominance at the top end of the table. There’s a glass ceiling for managers outside the big two in Spain (Simeone the obvious exception), but if he can get the team into the top 4 there’s every chance he can build on that and challenge for the PL with the right additions.

Not doubting his overall pedigree. But the guy is a mainly reactionary EL level club manager. Everton would be more his level than Arsenal. He found his biggest success at exactly such clubs: Sevilla and Valencia.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Were playing better than our last season but not sure we are playing to our maximum, despite the squad limitations.

I’m a bit disappointed with how we’ve drifted in the past few weeks

We’re also not as disciplined as I’d hoped we would be at all

Still Emery needs a couple of seasons before being judged IMO

ptrcopp

He is doing okay so far. A few warning signs though in recent weeks in how he handle the stars of the squad. This is not Sevilla. Even with impotent owner the fans still want to see stars at Arsenal and still want to see Arsenal compete for the biggest trophies!

Mind you though that just like Arsenal is trying to grow as club, Emery is also growing as manager. Its why I thought Emery would work very well as manager at Arsenal, and I still do!

My goal was to compete for top4 next season but we still have a outside chance of getting it if we start to show improvements soon in new year! All in all I think Emery is ahead of schedule and I think a lot of things tactically will start to click very soon!

Agree and think a more in depth analysis would show as such.

Just quick: in some games, with 4-2-3-1 (and 4-3-1-2, both with Özil) we have looked just as potent, if not more so, than previous, and have looked very fluid in attack with it merging into Aubamazette up top. But crucially has seen us more able to break up counters with a midfield two of Torreira and Xhaka - and we have really seen what Xhaka can bring when partnered with someone who is disciplined, even with Guen. This also allows Kola and Bellerin to push forward and show what they mean to the team. If we can see that again I can really see us pushing on.

7/10 because we do look slightly better, but he hasnt been able to cope with personnel, inc Özil, but also injruies.

Some criticism is warranted, but we shouldn’t be wishing for the back of him

ptrcopp

I don’t use that example as a stick to beat Klopp with, it’s just to show that even a top manager like him had some teething problems initially in the league. We lament dropping points against the lesser teams but Liverpool had the same problem in his early days too.

Without the ball I see some improvement. There’s been more pressing than in years past, and in particular against Liverpool the team had a much better shape out of possession. We’re also the only team along with Chelsea I believe that hasn’t conceded from a corner yet, which was a weak spot previously.

I agree we haven’t looked convincing in attack, but I think that’s a personnel issue. The team needs at least another wide player, it was the case under Wenger as well. We sold Alexis, Theo and Ox without replacing them. What would help us at the moment would be to give Auba, Laca and Özil a consistent run together. We might not be able to add another player in attack until the summer , but hopefully the class of those 3 can come through. Giving them a sustained together will help give us tenchoesion that’s currently lacking due to Emery changing the team every week.

Once again have to agree to an extent. I don’t think there is a personnel issue, especially with some of the formations we have played. 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-1-2 both with Özil have shown v potent forces and haven’t looked far off our best in recent seasosn.

That isn’t to say we could use a wide forward in certain situations. Walcott and Ox gave us a lot and I think he is missed to some extent.

I agree there has been in some games a massive improvement without the ball, though it has been lost in recent games. This is in part because of injuries, but also Emery’s failure to find a viable solution in the squad - and not trying all options.

7/10

He’s done well. Could be better, particularly the handling of Özil and the recent defence/ midfield that looks like something from Wengers worst. But I have been impressed overall

Reactions: A_G

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
They've still finished 6th during Rodgers' last season.
And Klopp only 8th. So they got even worse in the league.

He took over in october when they were already in 10th place when Rodgers got sacked, he had no preseason or transfer window to work with.. Even then he had a great record against the big teams and got them to two finals. His first full season he got them back to the CL.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

If we fail to get CL this season, I will be extremely critical of Emery but will be willing to give him another preseason and summer transfer window to show us what he's got. If we again fail to get CL football next season then we need to get rid.

The unbeaten run was great but there have been far too many games where we really had to dig deep to get maximum points against teams that have no business coming close to us.

Then there were the really **** results against garbage teams like Crystal Palace, Southampton, Brighton.

A team with Özil, Lacazette and Aubameyang should be blowing teams out of the park for fun. I agree with @Toby Andrl and don't see that much difference between this team and Wenger's latter year terms in terms of our attack. We still can be too easily stifled by rubbish sides whilst apart from a few games here and there, I haven't noticed anything unique in the way we attack sides.

I realize that our defence is a comedy act but Liverpool under Brendan Rodgers almost won a title with a potent attack and a comedy show of a back line.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Reading some of the comments I think people are getting waayyy to overly dramatic. We're in the midst of the biggest defensive injury crisis in recent memory. Holding, mustafi, bellerin and Monreal all out.

Our loss to Southampton was due to this exact reason as was the draw against Brighton. We would've won both games had we had our starting back four/five.

I have found Emery's tinkering has worked more often then not, it certainly didn't work on Boxing day. Also I believe he's currently so concerned with us conceding goals that he's losing focus on scoring, which is our strength!

Clearly with Özil he wants more from him defensively, and I get that, if pep or klopp were manager they would expect the same.

Overall considering all the recent issues we've had i'd give him 8/10.

We need to go on a 5-6 game winning run, the other teams will drop points. As we've seen with Sp**s, they lost against us and now are beating everyone and have creeped in to the title race. I'm confident we can do the same. We need bellerin and mustafi back Asap.

Last edited:

Wryer

Untimely that this half term has come at a point when we are hitting a low. The reviews would have been majorly different during the unbeaten run or even that splendid win against Sp**s.

Objectively, his role is to stablise a ship that was seeping water for the past 10 years. You need time to mend the holes and steer the ship at the same time, while keeping it afloat. To this end, I think it's a 10/10. He has kept us somewhat competitive, with no major plunges.

However,

I think he has struggled to impose his tactical ideas in the team, whether that's because of the players he has or them not responding, nobody knows for sure. The defense has been very poor, both individually and collectively. There's still no real identity at both ends of the pitch. Do we want to press? Do we want to hold? In this regard, it's a 6/10.

dbig

Looked promising early on, but it's gone downhill from there. I think his team selection and setup has been bewildering for a while now, and our failure to take the lead at half-time until recently highlights the failure to set up our team properly.

His half-time changes have been mostly good and refreshing when you take into account Arsène always leaving it too late to make changes, but it just shows the failure to prepare properly. Once or twice would be something to rave about, but constantly requiring intervention? Seems like there's a problem.

Our attack looks disoriented and defense is just as leaky. The fact that PEA has been super clinical so far (think Henry's finishing at his best) plus a bit of luck has hidden the problems and given us an unbeaten run. If his form is just temporary, then we will have trouble getting top 4 since we're creating less chances and still leaking tonnes of goals. People blamed Arsène for the defense, but we still don't look like a well-drilled unit.

Think there are other points from other poster's before me as well.

A 5/10 for me. Hope he does well, but not optimistic.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Would give him an 8/10, just.

We're five points better off than last season, while all teams with established managers have pretty much improved around us. Chelsea is the team we need to catch and as of yet, we have it still in our hands.

It was always a given that we'd struggle with this squad, especially with a totally new manager trying to put his ideas forward. Some good moves in January could make a difference.

FinnGooner

Established Member
I gave 7, pretty much based on the results. He reacts well during games but lately we've also seen some over reacting imo. Also, he has to react early way too often. We're pretty dangerous offensively but the defense is a complete mess all the way from the pressing game to defending our own box. It's too early to judge Emery imo but what has become painfully clear (even more than before) is that we have some glaring holes in our squad.

Last edited:

TornadoTed

Established Member
I gave him an 8.

There aren't that many precedents I can think of but United after SAF, Forest after Clough, Crewe after Grady all did much worse for a sustained spell after they stepped down. To add to that, not only have we changed probably our greatest ever manager but also restructured the whole club with Gazidis leaving and Raul and Sven now taking control. I believe that it will take 2-3 years to rid all of the old and bring in the new so I am happy to give Unai a lot of slack.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Objectively, his role is to stablise a ship that was seeping water for the past 10 years. You need time to mend the holes and steer the ship at the same time, while keeping it afloat. To this end, I think it's a 10/10. He has kept us somewhat competitive, with no major plunges.
I don't get it, his role is to stabilize the team and you give him 10/10 for that even when it's clear that the team is in chaos with key players getting more frustrated and without any clear plan/tactics of how to approach the game. We have some top quality players here, if you mean by keeping it afloat at 5th place is enough, than we didn't need him at all.
Fans wanted change after the chaos that was happening for the last 2 seasons, and with some new quality players I expected that we would have more stability and move forward but none of that happened.
It's the same old stubbornness that I've watched for years just with a different face. If one manager is stupid enough to play Ramsey(or whoever was underpefroming) in every game even when the lad couldn't control a football, and the other uses Laca and Özil as squadies, then I see no difference between them.
From my experience, managers who couldn't see things that are clear to all or refused to see them because of their ego, they didn't last long with the exception of Wenger.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

A 7 for me, bordering on 8. I think he has handled the transition well. It was always going to be a big job to take over after Wenger. 20 years of established ways of doing things will take some time undoing.

Result wise, I think we are where we realistically can expect to be. It is going to take time, and money, to bring us up the table.

On the positive side, we no longer look prone to those 5-0 losses where everything falls apart. On the other hand, the defensive frailties remain, not helped by our recent injuries.

All in all, a half term pass for me. I hope we will improve defensively. That is likely to determine the outcome of our season.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
To make it short, I think we'll disagree cause of this. While most seem to understand building a solid defence is the hardest thing for a manager, I think it's actually the attack. Building an attack that doesn't purely and simply rely on individual class and chance is the hardest thing to do. There's so many managers who are capeable of organizing and solidifying a defence, but then struggle to give their teams tools at hand with which they can thorougly and consistently create.

I am fully aware that individual quality will always play a significant role, but in my opinion it's overemphasized. So I disagree that our problems in attack is an issue of personnel.
Isn't Wenger proof of this though? When he had the Invincibles attack, or Fabregas/Nasri/RVP, his teams played great football. When he had to start using players like Gervinho and Podolski more often, the quality of play was diminished. I don't think his approach changed in this time, the players he had just weren't capable. After he brought in Özil and Alexis things changed for the better.
Not doubting his overall pedigree. But the guy is a mainly reactionary EL level club manager. Everton would be more his level than Arsenal. He found his biggest success at exactly such clubs: Sevilla and Valencia.
IMO he has far more claim to managing a top club than someone like Sarri, who's really done nothing of note compared to Emery.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
He's doing the best he can we this trash squad, let's be honest we bought Dortmund's 3rd choice CB and he became out best defender for years. You guys thought Koscielny was world class.

We need some £70m players to get this team right, like we spent 100 mill on 2 strikers with Iwobi as our only winger. One of them can't even play a whole 90 minutes!

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Started off slowly, picked up impetus, has stalled a bit.

I give him a 7. He cannot get much further than he's done without significant help from the Board.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom