• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

United V Arsenal [Sat 16 May; 12:45]

Unforgiven

Established Member
Did anyone see Arshavin "foul" Carrick?

He got a yellow and he did not even make contact. His foot was 30cms away from him and he still got a yellow. I mean what the ****.

patrick42uk

Established Member
hackajack said:
ricky1985 said:
Decent performance, but I think Man United's performacne highlights just how incredibly important aggression and desire are to a teams success. They looked totally toothless today because they didn't have the belief or inlcination to attack.

We are like they were today, all the time.
That's bollocks they wanted to win in style in front of their own fans but they found they couldn't.

I agree. We controlled the game and it wasnt till the final few minutes that Man U showed little intention to attack. They would have liked to, but they hardly had the ball.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
True Gooner said:
Big Poppa said:
Song,Gibbs, Diaby and Denilson all did very well,

Diaby was poor again.

Going forward, yes he was. Diaby did less well than Denilson and Song, but he still did well defensively. How much of that was to do with the less direct Giggs instead of Anderson, I don't know.

There's a grand misconception on these boards that Diaby was expected to play behind the striker today, or that is his best position just because he has running power and can dribble. It isn't. It's not where he played for Auxerre or France U19s. He's always played as a central box to box midfielder. Now, while I agree that his touch, awareness and passing can and must improve - I think he added some doggedness and bite in the middle today, and has done so whenever he's played there and not expected to be a support striker or a winger!!

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
hackajack said:
Of course they're now saying we weren't very good and that ManU weren't trying.
That's what they always say, barring one maybe two matches a season. It's not only boring but really quite pathetic.

OneProudGooner

Established Member
It was a strange game United were happy to let us have the ball and closed down from deep instead of pressing higher up the pitch and they didn't commit too many men forward.
We were happy to keep possession and pass it around in triangles which was easy on the eye while showing not lot of purpose going forward.

Our overall attacking display was clueless we had nothing to play for but still we should have tested VDS more, United were sitting back and gave the ball away cheaply yet our attacks broke down because of poor decision making and poor final ball.
Even more bizarre that Fungi didn't bring on Anderson earlier to give them the urgency they lacked neither Berbatov to hold the ball up higher up the pitch to relieve the pressure they were under from not retaining possession well enough.

Proof

Established Member
Pepe LeFrits said:
The ref was ridiculous today. The bookings for Arshavin and Nasri were absurd.
Arshavin made a dangerous tackle, and if Carrick wouldn't have watch over, it could have ended with broken bones. Also I remember that an United player made a tackle like Arshavin did and, of course nothing happened. But Nasri's yellow was ridiculous.

lagos

Established Member
hackajack said:

you think we were that good? you think Manu were trying to win? Reminds me of when I was a kid and my Dad would keep me busy by letting me play in his car and pretend I was driving. Of course the car was in the garage and I had no keys. I felt good cos I could pretend I was driving but more importantly my Dad was at ease knowing I was occupied and could do no damage.

That's my summation of this match, don't get carried away!

Tony Montana

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
hackajack said:
That's what they always say, barring one maybe two matches a season. It's not only boring but really quite pathetic.

United didn't want to risk anything and it showed.

Yes i'm sure they wanted to win just like every other team wants to win every game but they did what they had to do first.

It meant we could take the initiative more and attack. Our approach game was good but we were poor in the final third. Why do I say that? Because we didn't score.

Tony Montana

Established Member
hackajack said:
ricky1985 said:
Decent performance, but I think Man United's performacne highlights just how incredibly important aggression and desire are to a teams success. They looked totally toothless today because they didn't have the belief or inlcination to attack.

We are like they were today, all the time.
That's bollocks they wanted to win in style in front of their own fans but they found they couldn't.

Hardly something to celebrate about.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
lagos said:
hackajack said:

you think we were that good? you think Manu were trying to win? Reminds me of when I was a kid and my Dad would keep me busy by letting me play in his car and pretend I was driving. Of course the car was in the garage and I had no keys. I felt good cause I could pretend I was driving but more importantly my Dad was at ease knowing I was occupied and could do no damage.

I grew up with real toys so I'm not familiar with the example, but I think we pushed their midfield back and forced them to play on counters entirely. We looked good, they didn't. It wasn't our best game this season but I would have been satisfied with both the performance and the point had this game been played in january.

General

Established Member
United tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck but just struggled to get the ball of us. This was close to the formation we beat them at the Emirates with and you could easily see signs our old self. Yes they looked nervous but this was largely due to us forcing them into this mode. How many actually expected us to get a draw here? Wenger's decisions in two CL games really did the team a disservice because it really magnified the gap in quality between both teams.

DREVAK

Established Member
It was a neat performance from Arsenal today. But the fact that it was in a pretty much meaningless and no pressure game for the team against opposition who were far from their best – even far from their average I'd say – and under some pressure of their own spoils it for me. Well, not spoils, just gives any encouraging signs very little, if any, value at all. If a performance like that can be repeated on a regular basis and under much more difficult circumstances then it will be great.

Sover

lagos said:
hackajack said:

you think we were that good? you think Manu were trying to win? Reminds me of when I was a kid and my Dad would keep me busy by letting me play in his car and pretend I was driving. Of course the car was in the garage and I had no keys. I felt good cause I could pretend I was driving but more importantly my Dad was at ease knowing I was occupied and could do no damage.

So when we hit the post with 5 minutes to go that would be like you getting the keys, getting in the car without him knowing and almost crashing through the garage door, only he was very very lucky you couldn't find first gear.

True Gooner

Established Member
lagos said:
hackajack said:

United tried, but after the first 25 minutes it was clear that we were going to dominate and they changed their plan.

I've watched United this season and whenever they look to soak up pressure and counter, they play Ronaldo up top with Park on the pitch. This didn't happen till mid way through the second half.

Granted, United were cautious but to say that they came into the game looking for a draw is plain wrong. United aren't like that.

Infact, its a lot like how they played at the Grove last season, where they were happy to let us play football in front of their box

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Sover said:
lagos said:
hackajack said:

So when we hit the post with 5 minutes to go that would be like you getting the keys, getting in the car without him knowing and almost crashing through the garage door, only he was very very lucky you couldn't find first gear.
:lol:

hackajack

Established Member
lagos said:

I think you can save the fanciful analogy which only serves to make a discussion of the game less direct and less useful. That was a game ManU clearly wanted to win to sign off their season in front of their own fans in Champion style. We played well and forced them to defend to hang on to a point for much of the game. Given some of the poor displays we've had recently I think we should celebrate a decent one. But no, the Lords of Negativity have to try to undercut it by saying the opposition were crap (despite them saying ManU are great and going to tonk us all week).

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Regardless of how one thinks United approached the game, we won a lot of possession through our own effort (and in spite of one of the most corrupt refereeing jobs I've ever seen) and I'll not take that away from our lads. If anything I'd say United underestimated how much we'd be up for the game.

Sure we didn't create a lot, especially through the middle, but that's where United are so good - they can influence and isolate where an attack comes from and ends up.

Rooney, who did a fantastic job, was not back there defending by choice (even the mercurial arm-flapper had to put in a shift eventually). We simply dominated them and ran them into the ground. Our attack may have lacked a killer blow, but United's defensive effort (not the same as having a defensive mind-set) was organised, unflappable, and pretty much brilliant.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom