• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

United V Arsenal [Sat 16 May; 12:45]

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
I'm all for keeping possession of the ball, but only when there is a purpose to it and, quite frankly, I don't think anyone can argue this, we did nothing with the ball, just like we have all season long. Its not all about United being tough to break down in the final third, its about our incompetence to move and pass the ball intelligently.

Manchester were very nervous, understandably, they gave us possession and played for a draw, and they got just that. They did what they had to do, we failed to do what he had to.

There was no better team for me today, both teams played poorly and weren't able to create anything. The thing is that Manchester needed to draw and they did.

We just stood around Man U's box, passing the ball from side to side. We didn't even try to break United down. Were was the incisive movement and passing?

The fact that some people are happy with how we played today shows just how low we've swooped this season. We did nothing all game but play sideways and backward passes, yet some praise the performance. If we were playing for the draw I would have praised our performance, but we weren't we needed to win, and once more our attack has shown its incompetence.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
hackajack said:
But no, the Lords of Negativity have to try to undercut it by saying the opposition were crap (despite them saying ManU are great and going to tonk us all week).

Good lord. It's a FAN fascist.

We had a good game. That's about it. Nothing to write home about.

They got to win the PL we stopped a huge nose dive, free fall. That s reality. We are not winning anything ... like we have not for 4 bloody years.

That s why you will still find negativity about one decent job done as required.

Did what it said on the box.

Tony Montana

Established Member
hackajack said:
lagos said:
you think we were that good? you think Manu were trying to win? Reminds me of when I was a kid and my Dad would keep me busy by letting me play in his car and pretend I was driving. Of course the car was in the garage and I had no keys. I felt good cause I could pretend I was driving but more importantly my Dad was at ease knowing I was occupied and could do no damage.

That's my summation of this match, don't get carried away!
I think you can save the fanciful analogy which only serves to make a discussion of the game less direct and less useful. That was a game ManU clearly wanted to win to sign off their season in front of their own fans in Champion style. We played well and forced them to defend to hang on to a point for much of the game. Given some of the poor displays we've had recently I think we should celebrate a decent one.

That is very small time to me.

I acknowledge a decent display, but that's all it was.

To celebrate it is a bit much, especially when our goal is to win trophies, not just hamper the opposition.

United still won the league. That they didn't do it in style is a small price to pay for them.

hackajack

Established Member
Tony Montana said:

No one's talking about breaking out the champagne but an appreciation of a good performance seems to be beyond many.

Tony Montana

Established Member
hackajack said:
Tony Montana said:

No one's talking about breaking out the champagne but an appreciation of a good performance seems to be beyond many.

Fine.

But we should have won that game. For many people, a display like that without goals and 3 points is underwhelming.

We've had this problem for years.

Sover

arsenalfc0719 said:
I'm all for keeping possession of the ball, but only when there is a purpose to it and, quite frankly, I don't think anyone can argue this, we did nothing with the ball, just like we have all season long. Its not all about United being tough to break down in the final third, its about our incompetence to move and pass the ball intelligently.

Manchester were very nervous, understandably, they gave us possession and played for a draw, and they got just that. They did what they had to do, we failed to do what he had to.

There was no better team for me today, both teams played poorly and weren't able to create anything. The thing is that Manchester needed to draw and they did.

We just stood around Man U's box, passing the ball from side to side. We didn't even try to break United down. Were was the incisive movement and passing?

The fact that some people are happy with how we played today shows just how low we've swooped this season. We did nothing all game but play sideways and backward passes, yet some praise the performance. If we were playing for the draw I would have praised our performance, but we weren't we needed to win, and once more our attack has shown its incompetence.

We did play well. We created at least 3 good openings against one of the best teams, if not the best team, in the world - games between top teams are often settled on just one good chance - we so nearly capitalized on that right at the death.

All week so many people have been writing us off and threatening a trashing as United parties on our grave and that didn't happen. They may have set out ultimately for a draw but they started the game with Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo, that's a pretty offensive line up for a team destined to 'choose' to sit back.

We also had good control over the middle of the park and Denilson deserves some credit for that.

I get the feeling a lot of people here would've quite enjoyed it if we had got stuffed today, but considering we had a team coming off the back of a heavy and disheartening 4-1 home defeat, (a scoreline I didn't think we deserved to lose by)the players put in a good shift, performed well for each other I thought, and almost nicked it right at the end.

The only downsides for me were Diaby (just don't get it with him) and Bendtner on the wing AGAIN.

But for all the criticism, that's just 1 defeat in 25 league games and I for one was proud of my team today. :angel

True Gooner

Established Member
thegame24 said:
players should have kicked evra harder

I was watching the game at OT in 04/05 on ESPN classics. Even after so many years I still hate that lot of players much more than I hate these guys. In those days, we both had some fighters out there and literally every challenge was a flash point - watching the Neville sisters gang up on Reyes still pissed me off and I've started to hate van Nistelroy all over again. Good times.

These days Manchester United and Arsenal are just football teams, some would argue that United don't view us as rivals anymore but I don't see them roughing up the likes of Chelsea or Liverpool either. Shame because I thought it made games even more special.

Anzac

Established Member
I see AW is pointing to the performance as a sign of improvement.
Interesting to see that he thinks the team may have been overwellmed by the occaision re the CL S/F - in which case perhaps he may feel in hindsight that winning/reaching the Final of the domestic Cups may not be such a bad idea after all, obviously not so far as this season went, but for the future 'development' of the players in order to be able to 'win everything'.

JGooner

hackajack - What, we're supposed to praise them for turning in a decent showing in a nothing game after consistently bottling it in matches which actually matter? Set your standards that low if you want, but don't wet your knickers if nobody else wants to join in.

They were diabolical at OT in CL semi, when it mattered. They were diabolical at the Emirates, when it mattered. They were diabolical against Chelsea in the semi. Typical Arsenal to show up when there's no pressure.

Anzac

Established Member
By the way - just wanted to give a big thumbs up to EBOUE.

He went forward late in the game (I think he was supporting Diaby who dribbled into 3 players & lost the ball), ManU immediately countered down the flank with pace with Eboue out of position. To his credit Eboue SPRINTED from outside their area to outside ours to get back in defence. He actually ran past the play so as to get himself in a better position to support our defender and place himself between them & our goal, as opposed to coming in to join the tackle on the ball carrier from behind or on the side of play.

I don't think I can recall seeing as much urgency from anyone covering back this season, more often than not it's been a jog or run at best, but Eboue had the hammer down well & truely.

Well done lad, that's how it's meant to be done - everyone else take note FFS.

Biggus

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
hackajack said:
ricky1985 said:
Decent performance, but I think Man United's performacne highlights just how incredibly important aggression and desire are to a teams success. They looked totally toothless today because they didn't have the belief or inlcination to attack.

We are like they were today, all the time.
That's bollocks they wanted to win in style in front of their own fans but they found they couldn't.

I agree. We controlled the game and it wasnt till the final few minutes that Man U showed little intention to attack. They would have liked to, but they hardly had the ball.

They did exactly enough to ensure they'd be the champions again when it was needed, as opposed to us who always turn it on when its not and are incapable of when it is.....Thats all that matters- the rest is bollocks.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
Sover said:
We also had good control over the middle of the park and Denilson deserves some credit for that.

I get the feeling a lot of people here would've quite enjoyed it if we had got stuffed today, but considering we had a team coming off the back of a heavy and disheartening 4-1 home defeat, (a scoreline I didn't think we deserved to lose by)the players put in a good shift, performed well for each other I thought, and almost nicked it right at the end.

The only downsides for me were Diaby (just don't get it with him) and Bendtner on the wing AGAIN.

But for all the criticism, that's just 1 defeat in 25 league games and I for one was proud of my team today. :angel
Who cares about control over the middle of the pitch when you need to win a game and your doing **** all with the ball, which the the opposing side is gladly giving to you.

Point of the matter is that we lacked intelligence in both our passing and especially our movement today. It was mind boggling how not once did one of our players make a run into the box looking for a through ball and how everyone kept wanting the ball to their feet instead of looking to run into space. Passing the ball around aimlessly is not my idea of a good match.

Denilson did his job. The rest of our midfield and attack left a lot to be desired.

Please stop trying to play the victim. No one here wanted us to get hammered. Before the match started I thought we'd go out for it and Man U would kill us on the counter, but this wasn't the case. The game played out differently so my expectations grew. I think this game was winnable and that's why I'm not happy at all with our performance.

Captain

Established Member
Anzac said:
By the way - just wanted to give a big thumbs up to EBOUE

I personally felt that Eboue was poor when he came on and we missed Gibbs very impressive attacking game.

Anzac

Established Member
Captain said:
Anzac said:
By the way - just wanted to give a big thumbs up to EBOUE

I personally felt that Eboue was poor when he came on and we missed Gibbs very impressive attacking game.

Awww gimme a break - I'm trying to be fair here after all the criticism I've levelled at him. I wasn't saying his performance was good or noteworthy, just that I was impressed with his chasing back in the incident I outlined - it was the best I've seen from any of our mids/defence all season & what the likes of Denilson & Diaby are light years away from giving.

Giving is an apt description = he busted a gut to get back. Too often we something more akin to an economic jog in either direction.

Unforgiven

Established Member
Eboue was good when he came on, but he always wants to put in 110% effort.

Eboue has the pace but Gibbs has the dribbling ability which he really did show against United.

hackajack

Established Member
JGooner said:
hackajack - What, we're supposed to praise them for turning in a decent showing in a nothing game after consistently bottling it in matches which actually matter? Set your standards that low if you want, but don't wet your knickers if nobody else wants to join in..
That's exactly right - praise where it's due and criticism where it's due. Not persistent carping. Add to that a bit more intelligent analysis of why we lost games and you'll be on the right track.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
We are struggeling when a team plays 10 men behind the ball on the sixteen yard area, we need to pass the ball much faster or we need to sort out another solution. instead of passing try to shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom