• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger has to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfonso

Established Member
Many times on these forums we have said so and so player has to step up. But this time it has to be Wenger. He has to step up as a manager from now. He has to step up tactically, he has to drop some of his stubborness as a manager, he needs to open his eyes and see reality, instead of living in his own footballing world.

We are one season away from a club crisis. If we have a repeat season next year, our good youngsters/players(Cesc, RvP)will leave.It is as simple as that The vultures will be coming for them, just like they did for Overmars and Petit when we didnt win anything for 2 years, and Vieria in 2001. Then this whole transition malarky would have been a waste of time. And we would have to start again from scratch.

Wenger also has to step up in terms of spening some money in the summer. We all know the money is there, as the financial directors keep telling us. We need to spend good money on quality, no more kids. He has to make a decision over the future of Henry, Freddie, Lehmann, Gilberto, Baptista, Muamba and Aliadere. We need to buy players like we did in the 97 transfer market(Petit and Overmars) and the 2000 transfer market(Wiltord, Pires and Lauren). We need a similar big transfer market summer. Wenger cant leave it to August 31st either to make transfers,as he usually does. We need to do them in June, so they can have a good pre season with us.

The players that Wenger signs this summer have to be a)Winners b)Good technically c)Have a proven goal scoring record d)Be between the age of 23 and 27. e)Have a winning mentality, i.e Gallas.

And he has to learn from his mistakes. He has to learn not to kill our momentum when we have 3 crucial games in 10 days. He has to install some urgency into the side. Install some winning mentality. No more of this looser mentality, and lets feel sorry for ourselfs mentality. We need to be cut throat and clinical. He has to install a hunger into the side. Just like Chelsea in 2004/2005. Yes, Mourinho had the luxury of signing whoever he wants, but he still gave them a hunger to succeed. And this is what we have been missing. We need the players to make up for 2 years of disapointment by being more focused and hungry next year. They all have to be 100% commited. 100% commited=no lethargic first half. But next season starts now, and if we have a good end to this season, it will set us up for next year. This season is not lost yet, and Wenger should tell the lads not to feel sorry for themselfs and get on with it.

Wenger also has to learn to be more proactive than reactive as a manager, and make subs, or jazz things up, earlier in the game, and stop being so predictable with the subs etc.

His beautiful football approach has flaws as well. And i feel it needs to be tinkered slighty, if we are going to be legitmate challengers next season. The bottom line is that this new version of Wengerball needs end product. Im not saying go back to George Graham football, but we need a serious re-think about the way we play football. He also has to tell the players to close down more. It is no suprise most teams score against us via a special goal. It is because we dont close down enough.

Also, we must change our training methods, as it is clear we are getting too many injuries, and over the past two years this has hindered us greatly. We must also learn once and for all to take set pieces.

The 2007/2008 is Wenger's biggest season at Arsenal. The next year next year BS stops now. And he has to be accounable for their actions. No more future this, potential that. We HAVE to win a trophy next season. So that at least it shows a)Were heading in the right direction b)Keeps the players happy and motivated, and to reasure them that they are in the right club.

Because i feel the board are getting tired of his footballing experiements, and 3 seasons without a trophy for a supposedly big club, is simply not good enough. I would also advise Wenger to try and get Tony Adams and Martin Keown as permanent backroom coaches. We need the club to feel like Arsenal again.We need to bring back the winning mentality of the club. We need winners.

From now on Wenger has no more excuses. He has to deliver from now on. Enough is enough, and you have to draw the line. From now on Wenger will be judged by results only, no more benefit of the doubt.

Biggus

Established Member
Well Alf that was quite a catharsis. We all deal with the pain in a different way.

My own thoughts.....I believe the experiment of the search for the perfect team playing the perfect football and scoring the perfect goal has been a failure.....it existed in Arsenes head as a beautiful dream but has now turned to ****. Fact: 50% of goals come from set pieces. Arsène must accept that ugly and brutal have parts to play too. The velvet glove must contain an iron fist- All the greatest teams did....for every Zico a Ricardo (**** Dastardly) Rocha.
As to whether Arsène is willing and can modify his ideas....I don't know.

kooldawg

Established Member
wenger has to take part of the blame for his actions, but the players need to step up too. They have to justify their presence in the squad with good performances. Especially by the forwards who have failed to make a lot of impact. Ade and Baptista have to make the most of their chances and develop a killer instinct int he final third. Our midfield players have to step up and take a ****ing shot from outside of the box, just shoot the ball in when you have a look for gods sake.

Hopefully, the defeats will serve as a lesson for the squad and an experience that they will not be in a hurry to repeat anytime soon. Its going to be interesting to see what kind of response the team gives in the remaining league matches.

mood

It's going to be a tough task for Wenger to bring the morale back up and strong. The team is very young, which makes it harder. Going out of the 3 competitions successively, that's hard to take.

beanz

Alfonso said:
Because i feel the board are getting tired of his footballing experiements,
How can you possibly know what the board are thinking?
Are you a servant in the Hill-Wood household who's overheard an indiscrete remark?
Or perhaps you've bugged the boardroom. :roll:
Please enlighten us as to your source, or is it just your frustrated imagination empowering the board with your own thoughts?

Captain

Established Member
I bet the board are real tired of a new state of the art training facility, a youth set-up that is the envy of the world, a 5-star 60,000 stadium that is full every week and hosts arguably the biggest national team in the world for their european friendlies.

I'll bet their raging....

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Alfonso said:
Becaue applied quickly to selected text.se i feel the board are getting tired of his footballing experiements,
the words should be re-phrased like:
"I are getting tired of his footballing experiements"

And I feel you are speaking for yourself.

sesquioxide

Captain said:
I bet the board are real tired of a new state of the art training facility, a youth set-up that is the envy of the world, a 5-star 60,000 stadium that is full every week and hosts arguably the biggest national team in the world for their european friendlies.

You forgot they are tired of making money too, Captain. :D You know, they would really love to join so many of their other coleagues, particularly that Russian fellow, who lose money every year. What was Wenger thinking when he earned them enough money last year for them to consider a dividend (for the first time in the history of Arsenal)?

Wenger out!

RammiXP

Captain said:

I agree but at the same time Arsena Football Club and it First team should come first. All that other stuff is wonderful but we have not challenged for anything now in 3 years and its getting old and to be honest looking at this season now. Its been a step backwards over last year. It could still get worse as we are still not in the CL yet for next year.

We need to step up and we need to bring in 2/3 players who as alf said are winners and help the likes of henry, gilberto and gallas who are the only ones i feel fit that mould and to be honest we have not had them playing most of the season.

Its time for a few expirenced players this youth obsession can only take us so far as it has been shown this year. you need balance and that is something we do not have.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
mood said:
It's going to be a tough task for Wenger to bring the morale back up and strong. The team is very young, which makes it harder. Going out of the 3 competitions successively, that's hard to take.
Thats why we need to win the remaining games to give them a bit of confidence and pride.

asajoseph

Established Member
we have not challenged for anything now in 3 years and its getting old and to be honest looking at this season now.

Not challenged for anything?!?

We were in the Carling Cup final this year (I know, I know...)

We were in the Champions League final last year.

We WON the FA Cup the season before that!!!

I agree that league form has not been brilliant, and that needs to improve. I also wonder, along with Alfonso, how long we can be off the pace in the league for before players like RVP and Fabregas start getting swayed by the offers that will come in for them from the world's biggest clubs every transfer window.

However, we're obviously not a million miles away from winning some sort of tin pot at this stage.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Smartly Dressed Morris said:
Agree with the poster , but i think the board a quite happy having Wenger. But your other points are very valid in my opinion.
But would the board be happy when/if the seats started to get empty? Arsenal is a buisness as well as a football club.

asajoseph

Established Member
I'm not speaking personally, but I do wonder how attendances for the remainder of the season might be affected now that we're not really challenging for anything, and our league position (3rd or 4th, not much difference apart from pride) is pretty much assured.

qs

Established Member
First post is really really poor. I'd find it hard to point to anything I agree with in that.

beanz

1970*Gooner said:
Smartly Dressed Morris said:
Agree with the poster , but i think the board a quite happy having Wenger. But your other points are very valid in my opinion.
But would the board be happy when/if the seats started to get empty? Arsenal is a buisness as well as a football club.
Great, It might give the rest of us (poor red members) a chance to see a league game for a change, instead of early round cup matches.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

quattro said:
knee jerk.

typical arsenal mania
Muppet, its not knee jerk, Arsenal IS a business and they will loose money if they don't have bums on seats. The board will take that into consideration, I am not saying they will sack him but they won't be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom