• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger: Trust me in this summer's transfer market

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIPOLOPO

Established Member
Arsène Wenger:2007 said:
I = Interviewer
W = Wenger

I : Finally, a lot of people looking forward to the summer, and a lot of talk linking you with David Villa. Certainly the player came out and talked about he was an admirer of Arsenal, Could there be any truth in that at all?

W : Well its a big complement, but at the moment no, we are just looking to keep the team we have together, and who we will buy is not decided yet.
----

I : But do you have any players in mind already?

W : I have.
---

I : Do you actually make a list?

W : (smirking), Yeah we have,but we keep up number one, number two, number three...in the areas we look for, and then you obviously go for the number one.

I : Because people always talk about a actual transfer list. So you can confirm there is an actual physical list there that you use?

W : Yes there is a physical list ( wenger continues smiling)

I : Has the last fortnight made you believe that you really do need to make changes?

W : Not really no, i believe at some stage you need to strengthen the team, but changing the team as in you remove some faces just to add some then no that is not the feeling i have. I feel this team has been absolutely tremendous and uh... we are inside the club at the moment, and we uh.. do not asses well what this team has performed. But believe me Arsenal in the last season.. we know and herd a lot that we have not won any trophies. But then again we have to take some distance, i mean what is better? To win the Carling cup, or to go into the champions league final in 2006 you know?....
And you do have to take a distance with all that, and i believe arsenal has made fantastic strides towards the Premier League first, it has been fantastic as well for the club, we have gained many fans, all over the world, and WE know it is not enough, we all want to do more. But i belive, NOT to recognise the merit of this team would be a professional mistake, ah I would not stand up for that. I feel this team is tremendous, they have a tremendous future, we may have to add a little bit of salt to that, but we uh.. have done the main job.

I : By salt do you mean experience. Because Arsenal have lots of young talented players but perhaps they need a little bit of experience?

A: Maybe, you know....Maybe maybe if one does turn up we will take the experience yes.

Arsène Wenger:2008 said:
Manager Arsène Wenger has said that the upcoming 2009/10 season will be decisive in determining his squad's progression from raw talent to trophy winners.

The Frenchman also said that he would not be looking to make that many signing on a squad he feels is capable of challenging for honours on all fronts.

Wenger said: "We will set out again with the same players. An anti-Real policy has been established.

"We are building a style over time, a little like Barça. We don’t particularly need reinforcements, that depends on the departures.

"We have a young team, average age 22/23, which is maturing even if it is still sometimes lacking as in semi-final of the Champions League this season.

"We lost all our midfield at the beginning of season with the departures of Hleb and Flamini then the long injury of Rosicky. We have rebuilt now.

"We were eliminated too early from the title race, which hurt, but we hardly lost after November."
5 years on, the melody might have changed a bit but the song remains the same.

flobaba

Every competition matters. But instead of using them CCs and to a lesser extent the fa to foster a winning mentality within the squad, wenger just throws them away and by so doing unwittingly encourages a losing doesn't matter much because we're still kids attitude.

Anzac

Established Member
How can we have faith that he will sign the right players when we see this sort of performance on the field - is this what we've been building towards these past 5 years? What can we expect - potentially talented show poneys & all flash but no substance? No thanks.

darthwenger

I've defended him on many occasions but to be honest, even I've lost faith in him as how many times can he keep churning out the same out statements and quotes yet.......do nothing about it?

I trust him to buy a decent player but not to bring in enough of them. We'll lose a few players and probably bring in less or the same amount and then run out of steam as usual because of injuries etc while he throws all his eggs in one or two baskets and throws away competitions like the FA cup and the CC.

I've got to the point where every interview or statement by him goes in one ear and out the other. I'll believe we've got the right amount of quality signings when I actually see them holding the shirts at the Emirates (and not before then)

I won't go into where and what signings we need as its all over these forums time and time again but I'd love Wenger to prove me (and most of us wrong) by surprising us and making those signings but I've got the usual feeling that he won't and we'll all be here this time next year talking and moaning about the same things.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Fabianski to replace Almunia. Mannone promoted.

New CB in but Gallas, Senderos and Silvestre leave. Djourou is like a new signing as is Bartley.

Eastmond promoted.

Chamack comes in but a striker leaves.

Honestly wouldn't shock me if the above was to happen. I no longer trust Wenger to make the needed transfers however his last few transfers namely Ramsey, Arshavin, Vermaelen and Sol have been quality.

AliBabaBrewer

I doubt we'll offload anyone.

When was the last time we sold someone for reasons other than the money coming in, or because they wanted out?

dutchMasta

AliBabaBrewer said:

When was the last time we sold someone for reasons other than the money coming in, or because they wanted out?
Aren't those 2 reasons enough cause for concern? There's a stall on Gallas' new contract, Arshavin possibly wanting to leave, Clichy, Sagna, Cesc, RVP, Eboue all linked with moves away, and while most of those of course won't happen, just 1-2 of those leaving will leave us with major problems. Looking at our recent transfer history just makes things look worse too.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://sportske.jutarnji.hr/index.php?cmd=show_clanak&clanak_id=20474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sportske.jutarnji.hr/index.php?c ... k_id=20474</a>
Bilic met with AW 2 weeks ago in London and he keeps most they talked about a secret but says this:
"What we talked about is not for public, but for us it's most important Eduardo is fit and roaring to go. He is absolutely vital for our national team, I'm sure he will play much more next season and that he will thatfor be better player for national team"

qs

Established Member
AliBabaBrewer said:

:lol: What other reasons are there? You sell players to make money, thats the point.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Wenger has already said there would be the usual one or two leaving. Then again, with Senderos and by all accounts Merida leaving, possibly Gallas

AliBabaBrewer

Clrnc said:
Gilberto, Cygan
I thought they both wanted out because they weren't getting first team?

qs said:
AliBabaBrewer said:

:lol: What other reasons are there? You sell players to make money, thats the point.

Because they're crap?
So you're saying you wouldn't want rid of Almunia unless it's for a good profit?

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
flobaba said:
I trust you Arsène.. To do some things right this summer.. But not to do enough. Again.
Wenger might repeat his dire last-minute transfer bidding.

If the bid failed, he can find excuses like fees too high, wages too high etc etc as convenience, so that he can continue stick with the young players amd grand yet nil-trophy experiment.

Anzac

Established Member
With the news of an extension being verbally agreed to I now have even less faith that he will indeed pull his finger out, let alone change his ways.

darthwenger

Seems as though Wenger is winding up his bullshit machine already. Experienced players - what have all these young-ish players been doing for the past 4/5 years?

I'm worried that: experience = old = cheap/free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom