• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger: Trust me in this summer's transfer market

Status
Not open for further replies.

qs

Established Member
AliBabaBrewer said:
qs said:
AliBabaBrewer said:
I doubt we'll offload anyone.

When was the last time we sold someone for reasons other than the money coming in, or because they wanted out?

:lol: What other reasons are there? You sell players to make money, thats the point.

Because they're crap?
So you're saying you wouldn't want rid of Almunia unless it's for a good profit?

So your saying you don't understand the purpose of a sale?

Don't try and put words in my mouth.

We've sold plenty of players who weren't good enough, we sold them for money/profit. Thats why you sell anything, to make money. Its the whole point of selling anything. :roll:

qs

Established Member
irishgunnerz said:
Wenger has already said there would be the usual one or two leaving. Then again, with Senderos and by all accounts Merida leaving, possibly Gallas

I doubt he's counting the likes of Senderos or even Merida. I read it as he's talking about players from the main squad. Gallas, Silvestre, etc

AliBabaBrewer

qs said:

We've sold plenty of players who weren't good enough, we sold them for money/profit. Thats why you sell anything, to make money. Its the whole point of selling anything. :roll:

To be honest, it sounds like you havn't really understood what I wrote in the first place.

I pretty much asked when the last time we sold a player for not making the grade was.

Not 'In 125 years, has Arsenal ever sold a player because he wasn't good enough?'

Emma Lusa

The Spuds winning last night just upped the stakes, they have a billionaire owner and will no doubt spend another 50m, City will now spend another 150m, Utd and Chelski are already committed to large transfer budgets, Liverfool may have new owners with deep pockets, we have got to 'get in the game'. AW THIS IS the last chance fail to significantly improve the squad this summer and next year CL qualifying will be our target .... we can't be the next Liverfool ......

Captain

Established Member
Emma Lusa said:
The Spuds winning last night just upped the stakes, they have a billionaire owner and will no doubt spend another 50m, City will now spend another 150m, Utd and Chelski are already committed to large transfer budgets, Liverfool may have new owners with deep pockets, we have got to 'get in the game'. AW THIS IS the last chance fail to significantly improve the squad this summer and next year CL qualifying will be our target .... we can't be the next Liverfool ......

Did you just make this up?

Because barring ManCity, everyone on that list has been reported as transfer money not being forthcoming anytime soon.

AliBabaBrewer

Captain said:
Touré and it would have been Senderos if anyone wanted him.

See, I'd've said that, but he wanted out.. I'm not sure we'd've flogged him if he wasn't pretty determined to leave.

Especially as he was the first player in quite a while to actually hand in a transfer request.

qs

Established Member
AliBabaBrewer said:
qs said:

To be honest, it sounds like you havn't really understood what I wrote in the first place.

I pretty much asked when the last time we sold a player for not making the grade was.

Not 'In 125 years, has Arsenal ever sold a player because he wasn't good enough?'

So lets simplify it to not SOLELY for money, hows that?

Adebayor was sold not because he wanted to leave but because he was a problem.

P_Gunner

Captain said:
Emma Lusa said:

Did you just make this up?

Because barring ManCity, everyone on that list has been reported as transfer money not being forthcoming anytime soon.

City, Spuds and Chelsea will all be spending big money. Chelsea have already been reported to have had an offer accepted for Aguero and its no secret they want Ribery. Liverpool may get money depending on if they get new owners and who they are, but we can't know that for sure. As for United, who knows?

law90026

Established Member
United have already said they have money to spend. Plus they will flog off players in typical Ferguson style and raise funds that way. Assuming they won't spend this year, especially if they don't win the title would be very foolish.

We know Sp**s and City will spend, that's a given. Sp**s will try their damndest to hang on to their new Top 4 status. City will spend because it's they way they do things.

Chelsea too will spend.

I'm not even counting Liverpool anymore because I'm not sure they're a force for next season, what with the upheaval.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Can't think about what the other teams are going to do in the transfer market - we have to forcefully address our own deficiencies.

law90026

Established Member
Burnwinter said:
Can't think about what the other teams are going to do in the transfer market - we have to forcefully address our own deficiencies.

Agreed. Unfortunately, others seem to think that it's ok not to spend because our rivals apparently are not going to spend.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Or from another point of view, clinging to the questionable position that we still might have a chance of success even when we (inevitably, once again, etc.) fail to spend as much as we should.

P_Gunner

Next year it will be very interesting to see who the top 4 will be. I could see United dropping out of it... or sadly even us if Wenger refuses to spend.

Emma Lusa

Spuds are still a way behind us, remember we were challenging for the title only a month ago they have only just sneaked ihto fourth.

The point to make is that the dippers were title challengers just last season, they didn't strengthen their squad enough instead relying on players 'developing' and now look at them!

To think that couldn't happen to us is frankly dangerous, we must strengthen the squad with ........ you all know this bit. To do nothing would be courting disaster.

We all know the Spuds will fail in the CL that will leave them playing perhaps ten less games than us, Utd and Chelski. City and Liverfool will focus on the league with no CL distractions. Finishing in the top four next season with our current squad may prove beyond us, this can't be allowed to happen .....

If AW buys I trust him to buy well. If he doesn't add at least three quality players then can he be 'trusted' to deliver next season with the current squad. For us to even risk dropping out of the top four is unacceptable, even if AW 'trusts' the current squad that is not a risk Arsenal should take. Buy three or four quality players reduce the risk that's the only sensible business decision.

P_Gunner

Agreed. I wouldn't count out the resurgence of Liverpool either because we don't know if they will get new investors.

Chelsea
United
Arsenal
Man City
Liverpool
Sp**s

6 teams challenging for a top 4 spot and the only team I think that has it guaranteed is Chelsea. Spuds and City will both spend big. City are easily willing to pay some people 200k a week and Spuds finally have the incentive of CL football to offer, a defining reason why many stars would never join them in the past. Despite the constant Sp**s jokes, we should really begin taking them seriously as a force to challenge us.

Things are definitely getting interesting, but luckily for us our dept is dissapearing at a rapid rate as well. Luckily for us, we aren't in United's position ;) I'd gladly see either Sp**s or City take their top 4 place.

DK Gooner

Emma Lusa said:
Spuds are still a way behind us, remember we were challenging for the title only a month ago they have only just sneaked ihto fourth.

The point to make is that the dippers were title challengers just last season, they didn't strengthen their squad enough instead relying on players 'developing' and now look at them!

To think that couldn't happen to us is frankly dangerous, we must strengthen the squad with ........ you all know this bit. To do nothing would be courting disaster.

We all know the Spuds will fail in the CL that will leave them playing perhaps ten less games than us, Utd and Chelski. City and Liverfool will focus on the league with no CL distractions. Finishing in the top four next season with our current squad may prove beyond us, this can't be allowed to happen .....

If AW buys I trust him to buy well. If he doesn't add at least three quality players then can he be 'trusted' to deliver next season with the current squad. For us to even risk dropping out of the top four is unacceptable, even if AW 'trusts' the current squad that is not a risk Arsenal should take. Buy three or four quality players reduce the risk that's the only sensible business decision.

I think you underestimate the progress that this Sp**s team is making. They have some very talented players and a backline which is becoming more and more dependable. They have really upped their game in the latter stages of this season and most importantly victories over us and Chelsea plus last night at Man City will have given them the belief that they can compete with the top teams. One of the hardest things to do is to get the belief that you deserve to be at the top. They are gaining the mental toughness to win games against good teams. They are far from perfect, but we should not be complacement due to our superior league position this season and the fact that we may have been in contention for the title a few weeks ago.

They may face a hard qualifying draw, but I still expect them to go through because they are developing into a very good team. A couple of additions to that Sp**s team and they will have a team that could overtake us if we're not careful. They are close approaching a position in which they can offer a viable alternative to joining us. They have plans for their new stadium, they have CL football next season and they are a team with momentum.

We have to improve dramatically because with 1 game to go, we have lost 9 of our 37 games so far in the league. Almost a quarter and that is not good enough for any team which has pretensions to winning the title. I'm not so afraid of Liverpool, but if Sp**s build on their momentum and City splash out again in the summer, we will have a tough task of finishing in the top four next season let alone winning the league. The way the club/Wenger currently prepare the team for the season does not fill me with confidence that he has the capacity to put us back at the top should we not qualify for the top 4. He ask us to trust him because he has done well in the past. The fact is that he has never been in this position before. That's why we should be worried.

Freagle

These are the players that leave on a free this summer

David James
Fabio Cannavaro
Robert Pires
Sidney Govou
Joe Cole
Belleti
Ballack
Bresciano
Kuranyi

How many of those would you take in this current Arsenal squad? How many do you feel can add something to the squad? How many would you feel would make a good squad player for our depth?

DK Gooner

Freagle said:
These are the players that leave on a free this summer

David James
Fabio Cannavaro
Robert Pires
Sidney Govou
Joe Cole
Belleti
Ballack
Bresciano
Kuranyi

How many of those would you take in this current Arsenal squad? How many do you feel can add something to the squad? How many would you feel would make a good squad player for our depth?

None. Only Joe Cole and Cannavaro maybe. Cannavaro as a player/coach though not at the expense of another proven CB. The rest wouldn't come for the sake of being squad players. Some are marginally better than our current options but we need to boost the quality of genuine 1st teamers.

Freagle

Fair enough DK Gooner.

Here seems to be Arsenes first signing, Chamakh.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-confident-over-chamakh-signing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... kh-signing</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom