• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

| West Bromwich Albion v Arsenal | 15:00 19 March 2011 |

OohtobeaGoonerGal

Established Member
He said there's been annual/weekly debates and/or threads about the things I've listed there, and I just said it isn't neccessarily true, especially this season, I remember all the major talking points that's been discussed on AM in this campaign.

As for Wenger's talk about mental strength and such, I've stopped taking that too seriously nowadays.

progman07

Established Member
The funny thing is that after we lost the Final, Wenger told it's a great opportunity to show mental strength.

If I were an interviewer, I'd put Wenger's past comments in front of him, and ask him, what he thinks about them right now. Like when he said we don't need a new defender, and we can't improve on what we have.

(I'm very interested, what Wenger really thinks, about Denilson, about our defense, etc. Not the usual jibberish he tells about our mental strength and character not to lose 7-0 against the West Broms, and that it's his greatest squad, but his REAL opinion. Surely after Henry and Pires, and not losing a league game for 49 matches, he isn't happy)

Lord Dula

Established Member
tbf he's not gonna come out in public and give them a rollicking. that said, i'm not sure he gives them enough stick behind closed doors.

dyeruz

Established Member
Denilson is a stop gap because I'm sure Wenger's plan was to use Frimpong this year but he got injured. So instead of buying another DM to back up Song he uses Denilson.
When we needed a CB instead of buying a replacement he stuck with what we had so as not to block the progress of Bartley or Miquel, meanwhile we suffer this year.
Short term pain for long term gain? Or another year of introducing youngsters into the squad, getting our inevitable injuries and throwing them in off the deep end where they will make their mistakes which cost us points?

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
General said:
redwhiteAustrian said:
Today's match (and the last couple of weeks) has (have) proved that Arsène isn't able to lift the players up after setbacks.

The past few weeks only? Arsène Wenger struggled to get the great unbeaten team to regroup after our run was halted so how much more this pathetic bunch of misfits. Biggus has always said that a team is a mirror image of it’s manager and this is an important observation when evaluating a team’s character. Mental meltdown after a major disappointment is part of Wenger's Arsenal DNA. This is why we are always treated with suspicion every time he talks up mental strength.

This is a vital point General, the actual ability of Wenger to transfer belief and strength to his players when the moment arrives. I have suspected, and am now of the opinion that this is fact, that Wenger has no skill in this area whatsoever or at least to sustain levels of belief.

Interesting thought as I remember reading an article, and posting it here, about how Wenger describes his dynamic style of footie to prevail through confidence and belief and subsequent good decision making by his players. Essentially he is forcing an issue that he himself cannot display.

As for its history, it does indeed go far further back than claimed. The countless examples against United and Chelsea in recent times, Eduardo 07/08, post Barcelona 09-10, 10-11.

The question I would ask is, with the so called world class players that we would attain.. could it make a difference at all? Will Wenger suddenly now be able to transfer genuine confidence?

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Just noticed, that we've all in all conceded ten goals from both WBA and Newcastle in that four games against them this season.

And funnily, in each of those games, Kos+Squib have been on the pitch when we conceded.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I don't think we have issues off mental strength , what I have seen -more to do with not enough of an understanding to play the way Wenger amongst lesser player in the squad . Things like changing the tempo of attacks , drawing defenders wide through passing . Yes they still have great ability in posession but don't seem to have an idea how to use it .

progman07

Established Member
dyeruz said:
Short term pain for long term gain? Or another year of introducing youngsters into the squad, getting our inevitable injuries and throwing them in off the deep end where they will make their mistakes which cost us points?

If we forever think long term, it will mean that we will always fall behind, because there is always "next season", there is always another talent we shouldn't kill, just as we were thinking about 2010, when around 2007 we introduced youngsters and dumped experienced players. Now where are we? We are yet again only thinking about the future.

Building only for the future is a strange thing, you sacrifise present success for a less likely future success. For example we have given 150 games to Denilson, who has NEVER deserved it, and where is he now? Probably on the edge of leaving the club. 150 games down the drain, under the name of building for the future and not killing a youngster.

dyeruz

Established Member
redwhiteAustrian said:
Just noticed, that we've all in all conceded ten goals from both WBA and Newcastle in that four games against them this season.

And funnily, in each of those games, Kos+Squib have been on the pitch when we conceded.
I thought Kos played fairly well yesterday. Squillaci's just not comfortable reading high balls, I watched him at the emirates when we played Leeds, it's almost like he had no spatial awareness, and that coupled with the fact he has no physicality to his game at all, if he's fighting for the ball he always seems to end up second best. So yesterday didnt help..ball in the air, striker jostling for position, mad goalkeeper haring out of goal..too much information to process, brain goes into meltdown :)

dyeruz

Established Member
progman07 said:
dyeruz said:

If we forever think long term, it will mean that we will always fall behind, because there is always "next season", there is always another talent we shouldn't kill, just as we were thinking about 2010, when around 2007 we introduced youngsters and dumped experienced players. Now where are we? We are yet again only thinking about the future.

Building only for the future is a strange thing, you sacrifise present success for a less likely future success. For example we have given 150 games to Denilson, who has NEVER deserved it, and where is he now? Probably on the edge of leaving the club. 150 games down the drain, under the name of building for the future and not killing a youngster.
Wenger refuses to buy experience unless "it significantly enhances what we have"...then he goes and signs Jens Lehmann. He says he doesnt need to buy "leaders" because we have several leaders in the dressing room, then he signs Jens Lehmann because he's seen it and done it all and can provide experience....WTF! The mystic art of double talk and BS. Sold Flamini, never replaced him, sold Diarra. It's all well and good to have this factory churning out kids good enough for the league and europe, yes Jack is good enough, yes Sczeszeny will be good enough, but you always need to supplement youth with experience. What is it, Wenger doesnt want to buy someone will will usurp Cesc's position as captain in the team, in case he throws a strop and flounces to the Nou Camp? Someone who can tell of Nasri, Arshavin and co when they are not performing? It's utterly baffling.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
It seems to me that with Squib alongside him, Kos' level drops as well. Not much, but enough to make our whole central defence even more vulnerable.

However, can't fault Kos at all for yesterday, I'm sure we'd have won had Al and Squib not decided to **** it up completely.

At the end of the day, we're five points behind and in big need of a moral boost, guaranteed with both better results and with key players returning to full fitness.
I've had enough of the likes of Denilson, Diaby or Al.

Invincible

Established Member
progman07 said:
The funny thing is that after we lost the Final, Wenger told it's a great opportunity to show mental strength.

If I were an interviewer, I'd put Wenger's past comments in front of him, and ask him, what he thinks about them right now. Like when he said we don't need a new defender, and we can't improve on what we have.

(I'm very interested, what Wenger really thinks, about Denilson, about our defense, etc. Not the usual jibberish he tells about our mental strength and character not to lose 7-0 against the West Broms, and that it's his greatest squad, but his REAL opinion. Surely after Henry and Pires, and not losing a league game for 49 matches, he isn't happy)
The guy has gone senile. Believe me he's happy with these group of players even the sh*t ones and the useless c*nts (Almunia, Denilson). For that reason he won't be getting rid of them in the summer as he's invested so much time in them and it would mean he would be admitting to his project failing which he's too arrogant to do. He's also delusional and out of touch with reality (we are mentally strong, this is our best ever squad, we have 3 world class gk's, etc). His faith is misplaced but he doesn't realize it and stubbornly refuses to accept the truth, and so whenever these mentally strong players fail so spectacularly, he's in a state of denial, and then comes out to reaffirm his belief that they're "mentally strong". An individual with this condition should be undergoing therapy not be sitting in the managerial seat of one of the most prestigious football clubs in the world.

He needs to leave. He's overstayed his tenure and has now turned into a laughing stock who makes Arsenal fans cringe every time he opens his mouth. I know a few Sp**s fans who want him to stay here as long as possible, and that's the ultimate insult. I want this raging fool out of the club before he takes us out of the top 4 because if you don't think that's possible, you're as deluded as him.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Koscielny was average again - definitely not starting quality for a club like Arsenal at this point. Potentially he might be in the future.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Djourou makes Koscielny look better.

cuban

Established Member
Koscielny is definitely starting quality...and he has all the makings of the world class CB, very good buy

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
redwhiteAustrian said:
It seems to me that with Squib alongside him, Kos' level drops as well. Not much, but enough to make our whole central defence even more vulnerable.

However, can't fault Kos at all for yesterday, I'm sure we'd have won had Al and Squib not decided to **** it up completely.

At the end of the day, we're five points behind and in big need of a moral boost, guaranteed with both better results and with key players returning to full fitness.
I've had enough of the likes of Denilson, Diaby or Al.
How so? You need to take a look at the 2nd goal, Squid had it absolutely covered forcing Odewingie outwide. Al ran straight from the goal and took Squid out, he didn't even follow the ball

cuban

Established Member
DanDare said:
Djourou makes Koscielny look better.

nah its about playing styles and having a reliable partner...Kos is not a leader who would hold the defence together yet...but once he has reliable partner he is very good and actually overperforms him often, he has been better than DJ for two months, maybe even more...

cuban

Established Member
Clrnc said:
How so? You need to take a look at the 2nd goal, Squid had it absolutely covered forcing Odewingie outwide. Al ran straight from the goal and took Squid out, he didn't even follow the ball

yeah...Squillaci was a bit shaky, and made some minor mistakes but it certainly wasn´t his fault yesterday...nor Koscielny´s...Almunia and not scoring more goals cost us...Almunia mostly

Top Bottom