• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is the biggest mistake the club made that has put us in our current situation?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I would say that fact that we refused to spend that £200m cash reserve. The club was banking on the fact that transfer fees and wage would reduce. But in the end, the Neymar transfer blew everything out of the water.

At a time, that £200m would've got us 6-7 world class players. But now it can barely get you two

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
This recent threads produce some fine nightmares.

giphy.gif

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Moving stadiums couldn't have came at a worse time really, especially with the terrible deal we got with the banks back then, we were close to being a super club around this time too.

Stan becoming our owner was terrible, just ****ing terrible.

Various mistakes during numerous transfer windows from around 2008 on.

Last edited:

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Not expanding the squad with another WC-ish player in the summer of 15. 13, Özil, 14, Sanchez, 15....

Baffling, makes my blood boil. We had the resources to make another statement signing, and the lure of CL-football. Idiotic.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

I don't think sticking with Wenger is as bad as it's made out to be.

If the club hadn't messed up on transfers and got rid of a lot of deadwood, keeping Wenger for so long won't have been disastrous. If we'd had another manager, the situation would have been more or less the same

GDeep™

League is very weak
We’ve made a few big mistakes over the last 10 years -

- Stan Kroenke not funding transfers is a big one. In the years where we were struggling for money surely Stan could’ve pulled out 50M to fund a top signing. Why was it Özil OR a striker? Why couldn’t Stan help us out?

- Hiring Emery was a big mistake, had Wenger been here last season we would’ve got top 4.

UpTheGunnerz

We’ve made a few big mistakes over the last 10 years -

- Stan Kroenke not funding transfers is a big one. In the years where we were struggling for money surely Stan could’ve pulled out 50M to fund a top signing. Why was it Özil OR a striker? Why couldn’t Stan help us out?

- Hiring Emery was a big mistake, had Wenger been here last season we would’ve got top 4.

Big disagreement there, Wenger got worse by the season, imo nothing points toward him necessarily providing a better season than Emery.

GDeep™

League is very weak
These discussions are boring though. We know the club is finished now until Stan is here.

Even Newcastle is taking us over soon. Arsenal really is becoming the 6-8 club I predicted all those years ago.

I have one foot out already.

UpTheGunnerz

These discussions are boring though. We know the club is finished now until Stan is here.

Even Newcastle is taking us over soon. Arsenal really is becoming the 6-8 club I predicted all those years ago.

I, for one, would welcome some barren years in the middle of the pack. Would be something different!

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

I don't think that Stan is the biggest reason that we've stayed uncompetitive all these years.

You can blame him for appointing the wrong people but you can't say we haven't spent.

We have more or less similar owners to Liverpool. Liverpool are where they are because they don't have clueless people in charge of their football.

It's not like FSG was the one that funded Liverpool's transfer splurge on VVD, Keita, Allison and Fabinho.

The club was smart in the transfer market.

We've been clueless in the transfer market. That's not Stan's fault.

We had a chance to sign Kante but messed it up and ended up signing a more inferior and more expensive player in Xhaka.

Those kind of decision is what has killed this club.
Or not replacing Giroud all those years

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don't think that Stan is the biggest reason that we've stayed uncompetitive all these years.

You can blame him for appointing the wrong people but you can't say we haven't spent.

We have more or less similar owners to Liverpool. Liverpool are where they are because they don't have clueless people in charge of their football.

It's not like FSG was the one that funded Liverpool's transfer splurge on VVD, Keita, Allison and Fabinho.

The club was smart in the transfer market.

We've been clueless in the transfer market. That's not Stan's fault.

We had a chance to sign Kante but messed it up and ended up signing a more inferior and more expensive player in Xhaka.

Those kind of decision is what has killed this club.
Or not replacing Giroud all those years
Liverpool throughout their history have been big spenders, no matter the owners. It’s only recently they made a few big sales and brought some money in. Now they have one of the biggest wage bills in Europe.

They also employed Klopp, you need ambition for that. Klopp came in and said he’ll make them champions. Compare that to us? We hired a bum after Wenger, and no matter how much I love him, we then hired a newbie in Arteta.

Since Stan has come we are getting worse every year, nothing we are doing represents an elite club.

GDeep™

League is very weak
If you look at Liverpool, you’ll see every season since the mid 90’s they’ve thrown big money on transfers. It’s just recently they got a few big sales, for the first time in 30 years.

UpTheGunnerz

Liverpool throughout their history have been big spenders, no matter the owners. It’s only recently they made a few big sales and brought some money in. Now they have one of the biggest wage bills in Europe.

They also employed Klopp, you need ambition for that. Klopp came in and said he’ll make them champions. Compare that to us? We hired a bum after Wenger, and no matter how much I love him, we then hired a newbie in Arteta.

Since Stan has come we are getting worse every year, nothing we are doing represents an elite club.

Well if Wenger could have stepped the **** down in 2015 we would be in a great position to sign Klopp.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Well if Wenger could have stepped the **** down in 2015 we would be in a great position to sign Klopp.
Again, it’s the club who has to move him on and hire Klopp.

This seems to be the only club where owners have no responsibility.

Why not hire a top manager after Emery then?

UpTheGunnerz

Again, it’s the club who has to move him on and hire Klopp.

This seems to be the only club where owners have no responsibility.

Why not hire a top manager after Emery then?

Fair point. I was a bit hot on the trigger there. Which top managers were available? Allegri i guess. Pochettino a bit apponintmento-non-grata.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Before Stan came here we were the most exciting club in Europe. Now we’re heading towards mid table.

Next season I’m pretty sure we won’t get top 6. Who will we blame then? Arteta?

Latest posts+

Top Bottom