• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is your preferred midfield?

What three players would you prefer to start in midfield?

• Xhaka

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • Torreira

Votes: 147 86.0%
  • Özil

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Guendouzi

Votes: 73 42.7%
  • Willock

Votes: 99 57.9%
  • Ceballos

Votes: 154 90.1%

• Total voters

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I voted Torreira, Willock and Ceballos. Admittedly, the sample size for the latter two is very small, but based on the ability they have, this midfield allows us to defend and attack and transition. It also allows us some sort of defence to being countered. It's a very young midfield that I would be surprised to see maintain form all season, but with Guendouzi given a disciplined role (like Ramsey vs Chelsea last season), we can rotate. If Özil can be bothered to adjust., he can link up with Ceballos and Torreira. Miki has no use whatsoever imo.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I like him if playing with another DM or pressing the opposition. Sitting back or anchoring the midfield not at all.

As part of a 3men midfield he is good

Just a double pivot not so much especially with the options we have

LG10

Guendouzi is a funny one - basically the entire team of the Arsenal Vision podcast are balls deep for Matteo, guy literally can't do anything wrong. Then there's AM where the overall vibe is much more circumspect.
Great prospect just not ready to be a regular starter for us yet

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I think we need Xhaka for now with the view to eventually absorbing his responsibilities into whichever midfield we choose.

It’s pretty much open season in midfield but we need Torreira’s PL experience in there if Xhaka is phased out. Ceballos looks like he’ll start a lot of games as well.

Last edited:

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I think we need Xhaka for now with the view to eventually absorbing his responsibilities into whichever midfield we choose.

It’s pretty much open season in midfield but we need Torreira’s PL experience in midfield. Ceballos looks like he’ll start a lot of games as well.

Emery did promise Dani a ****load of starts, IIRC. Think we'll see him rotated with Özil a lot.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
for me Willock Torreira and Ceballos. All three have lots of energy and importantly confortable on the ball and can move it quickly. 1-2 touch.

Love Douzi he's great at reciving under pressure but is too slow with his passing. really need to sharpen up in that regard.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I've gone Toreirra, Ceballos & Özil, Willock & Guendouzi have great potential but in parts they are still in a learning period. Sometimes I reckon Guendouzi just holds the ball a tad to long to pass the ball but he'll get better at that.

Özil when he is at his best will be world class & can find an important pass just about anywhere. Toreirra can start as the DM just in front of the backline then Ceballos can be a sort of deep lying playmaker role. Ceballos also has a Cazorla type style, he'll know when to let the ball passed off & if there is an opportunity to shoot from distance I'd say he wont hesitate.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Honestly none of our midfielders are good enough, we have been making terrible mistakes in the type of midfielders we sign. People crap on Xhaka for good reasons but fact is he's our best midfielder, and our other midfielders are nowhere near ready to take over from him.

Torreira and Guendouzi are flawed midfielders who had more poor games than good ones so far in their Arsenal career, most of the hype for them comes from perceived potential (that they might never meet) than what they can do now. Willock is still 50-50, to me he looks more reliable than Guendouzi but it might be still too early to push him as a starter. Ceballos is considered a god and best midfielder ever even after the Liverpool game, but truth is Madrid fans would tell you he's Madrid's version of Denis Suarez. Talented, but frustratingly inconsistent.

It's disgusting that Arsenal fans laugh at Liverpool for playing Henderson, yet players like Henderson who can be trusted to work hard, do simple things and be a reliable water carrier is precisely the type of midfielder we are crying out for. This is one area where Wenger clearly is superior to Emery, at least Wenger understood the value of players like Elneny.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Honestly none of our midfielders are good enough, we have been making terrible mistakes in the type of midfielders we sign. People crap on Xhaka for good reasons but fact is he's our best midfielder, and our other midfielders are nowhere near ready to take over from him.

Torreira and Guendouzi are flawed midfielders who had more poor games than good ones so far in their Arsenal career, most of the hype for them comes from perceived potential (that they might never meet) than what they can do now. Willock is still 50-50, to me he looks more reliable than Guendouzi but it might be still too early to push him as a starter. Ceballos is considered a god and best midfielder ever even after the Liverpool game, but truth is Madrid fans would tell you he's Madrid's version of Denis Suarez. Talented, but frustratingly inconsistent.

It's disgusting that Arsenal fans laugh at Liverpool for playing Henderson, yet players like Henderson who can be trusted to work hard, do simple things and be a reliable water carrier is precisely the type of midfielder we are crying out for. This is one area where Wenger clearly is superior to Emery, at least Wenger understood the value of players like Elneny.

Personally I think we are blessed that players like Elneny have been banished to the fringes. Haven't you felt the increased optimism around the club so far this season? The guy is barely capable of executing the basics of the game.

I understand the principles of what you said and agree to some extent. But by naming Elneny all you're doing is making Wenger look bad.

And also who is laughing at any part of the Liverpool squad? They are the #1 current form team in Europe. 12 y o kids maybe?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

It’s pretty much open season in midfield but we need Torreira’s PL experience in there if Xhaka is phased out. Ceballos looks like he’ll start a lot of games as well.

I don't think Xhaka's replacement is in the squad at the moment .

Smail

for me Torreira, Ceballos and özil. Just play Mesut, give him a chance with this new front three and if he still doesnt deliver by christmas, drop him for willock.

Xhaka just with 10 votes if you give it that Garrincha only gave him pity vote and <<reed>> only does things that triggers me these days...

That is 4 votes behind Özil who nobody wants here anymore.

This is brutal on our captain... I wonder if this is just AM thing or if it is general feeling among the whole Arsenal base.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom