• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When was our best chance to win the league since 2006?

When was our best chance to win the league since 2006?

• 2007/2008

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • 2013/2014

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2015/2016

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • 2009/2010

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • 2010/2011

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoonerJay24

2014 was weird, because we were unbeaten for a long period, we were top for a long period, at one point we even went 7 points clear after a win in Cardiff. But I never really thought we'd win it.

2016 was absolutely full sure we'd do it. After we beat City 2-1 for me I thought that was the moment that'd launch us to the title. I looked at Chelsea having a dreadful season, we were clear of City and I was still disregarding Leicester. Looking at it, it's actually incredible how we bottled it, and believe me we absolutely bottled it that year. Between our losses to Chelsea away and Southampton away, over the course of 3 months we won 8, drew 2 and lost 1. For me that was the type of form we'd been missing in previous years. After that run in 12 games we won just 4, drew 4 and lost 4. It's an incredible juxtaposition of the two Arsenal's. The first Arsenal a team showcasing their quality to overwhelm the opposition through high tempo football of great technical quality, the second Arsenal the mentality fragile team who cannot defend with players who'll let you down. It's amazing how two runs of form, one looked like potential champions, the next looked like a side struggling in mid-table. And the performances of both runs reflected that too.

True but remember we went months without Sanchez, Coquelin, Cazorla, Walcott, Wilshere and Koscielny. Any team would struggle with so many players out injured together.

GunnerUK

1- Not sure of year but the season Eduardo got injured and Gallas carried on like a baby against Birmingham.

we were excellent that season Hleb, Ade, Fab, were Devastating.

2- Season when Leicester won the league, Do I need to say anymore City, Utd, Chelsea, Pool all piss poor and we finish 2nd to Leicester.

how Wenger didn’t walk after that I have no idea he had NO excuses as to why his team flopped behind a side recently promoted and the easiest chance for league glory in a decade

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
Arsenal-line-up.png

This team was a striker and a DMF away from being almost perfect but Wenger decided the only outfield player to sign was ELNENY saying he couldn't find better than what he had... Massive opportunity missed. Wanyama would've been perfect for us imo considering Sp**s signed him for only 11m it baffles me why we never went in for him

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
We've had many chance to win the league but failed to take them.

In 2007/2008 we had a team capable of winning it but was killed by an injury to our only fit striker. Imagine having RVP and Eduardo fit that season.

In 2012/2013, We basically gifted the title to United by selling them RVP. He then proceeded to win the title with the Worst SAF's squad ever? We'd have walked the league title

2013/2014 we had a great squad. We a great defense. We had the highest clean sheets that season. Having Giroud as our only Senior CF really killed us. He missed many chance and went through that long scoreless streak that all but killed our title hope.

2016, we had a great defense. Again, we had the highest clean sheets. We didn't even sign a single outfield player that season and basically gifted the title to Leicester.
If we had had Aubameyang that season, we would've won the league by double digit points and Özil would've broken the assist record.. Lack of goalscoring was a massive problem for us back then. I think we had like 8-9 games where we failed to score

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
Is 10/11 a big missed opportunity too tho? I didn't think United were particularly that great that year at all. We had Van Persie, Nasri, Fabregas, Arshavin, Wilshere, Walcott, Song, Diaby, Ramsey as our option in attack and midfield. You look to results vs Newcastle surrendering leads, think we did the same in two NLD's, Liverpool getting that late penalty, losing to Bolton and Stoke. I honestly thought we had the best team that year in terms of quality, we just didn't have the winning experience, or experience in general.
Correct me if I'm wrong but that season, by the end of February we were only 1 point behind Man United but ended up winning just 2 out of our last 11 and finished 4th ultimately

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
Really,competition was dross in 2015/16.It was maybe the poorest EPL season ever.All top 6 teams had average season with so much bad results over the time.It's still amazing how we didn't win at the end.
Because Wenger decided to persist with Giroud who went 15 consecutive games without scoring

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
2007/08 was the real last time we played great football on a consistent basis and the fact we finished 2 & 4 pts behind both Chelsea and United, who were the two top teams of Europe at that time (CL Final meeting also), respectively, made me very proud of the boys.. And who know if Eduardo hadn't broken his leg...

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
Yeah, that 07/08 Fergie team is the best united team of all time. It's crazy how we remained in the title race for so long despite not having near enough quality as them.

All in all, it was a great season in terms of the football we played. Our team that year is the most entertaining team I've ever seen IMO
I’ve always said Arsenal in 07/08 played better team football than the invincibles that team was brilliant but massively overlooked for going trophyless... we had lost only 1 game by match day 31 to Boro of all teams btw.. but a great team probably the best pl team to go a season trophyless along with Liverpool in 08/09

GDeep™

League is very weak
Arsenal-line-up.png

This team was a striker and a DMF away from being almost perfect but Wenger decided the only outfield player to sign was ELNENY saying he couldn't find better than what he had... Massive opportunity missed. Wanyama would've been perfect for us imo considering Sp**s signed him for only 11m it baffles me why we never went in for him
Wanyama didn’t even cut it at Sp**s though.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Looking back, I find it amazing now how badly we were struggling for players and all along we had a billionaire in charge.

Why couldn’t Stan sign Özil AND Higuain? I keep asking and haven’t received an answer from you guys in over a month.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I honestly thought he’d done well until for some reason Poch started to play Dier.. btw Wanyama was a beast for Southampton that season who finished 6th that year
He’s just gone to Canada to play for Henry, think he’s 27/28.

First season he played a lot for Sp**s, after that he fell off a cliff really.

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
Looking back, I find it amazing now how badly we were struggling for players and all along we had a billionaire in charge.

Why couldn’t Stan sign Özil AND Higuain? I keep asking and haven’t received an answer from you guys in over a month.
Because he’s a prick.. “Silent Stan” for a reason

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
He’s just gone to Canada to play for Henry, think he’s 27/28.

First season he played a lot for Sp**s, after that he fell off a cliff really.
Was never a world beater but certainly was better than what we had at that time (Coquelin and Elneny)

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off

Napoli also selling Cavani didn’t help..

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I’ve always said Arsenal in 07/08 played better team football than the invincibles that team was brilliant but massively overlooked for going trophyless... we had lost only 1 game by match day 31 to Boro of all teams btw.. but a great team probably the best pl team to go a season trophyless along with Liverpool in 08/09
Yeah, I keep imagining if Eduardo and RVP were both got throughout that season, what could have been?

Injuries plus bad mentality really ****ed us. Wenger did all he could that season, but there's only so much you can do when your squad is riddled with injury and you rivals a spending obscene amount of money

Latest posts+

Top Bottom