• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wigan Vs Arsenal - Saturday 11th April, 2009 - 1500hrs

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Captain said:
Gibbs has been our FA cup left back which means that there is a chance he is our number two left back.

Wasn't that due to Silvestre getting injured against Argyle, or have I remembered incorrectly?

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
I absolutely don't want Silvestre playing in any of our games, including in the reserves league.

He scored against Sp*rs alright, but he's still sh*t.

I'd rather we buy Cygan back than have this Manc tool.

Lord Dula

Established Member
Defensively Silvestre is as strong/stronger than Clichy - ok we'll lack a bit on the attacking front, but Arshavin, Cesc and co should have that part licked.

Unforgiven

Established Member
Silvestre is descent defensively I guess but he is so slow, for a LB and he cant cross at all. Gibbs is a great player but he is too young, I would go for Silvestre, much safer option.

hackajack

Established Member
Silvestre is a liability at LB - he's always out of position. I'll take my chances with Gibbs, he's learning fast.

Meatwad

this is the sort of scenario wenger had in mind when he signed EIH. he's more sound defensively at lb, i don't like him at cb. good height across the back away at wigan isn't a bad thing anyway.

Jameel46

Established Member
I say go with Gibbs against Wigan and Silvestre against Villarreal (unless Gibbs impresses). We'll have to make sure we keep the ball in attack a lot.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I think Silvestre's been decent as a centreback but he's absolutely useless as a leftback. He's too slow, always out of position and doesn't read the game at all. He's left hanging when they're getting on the counter and his passing game is horrible. The few times he's played as a fullback for us he's nearly costed us all the points. We're very lucky that he went off injured early in the first half in his last FA cup game and was replaced by Gibbs, else we might have been out of that tournament already. He was a part of our central defence when we won against United though and there's where I want to see him if I really, really have to have him on the pitch. I'd rather put him in front of Djourou than in front of Gibbs.

Arsenal in Aus

Have you guys/girls seen the new "Latest Lineup" feature on the official site? Interactive feature showing Wigan's most recent lineups, and showing who in their squad has made the most appearances in each position. Great little feature for predicting lineups for the opposition, and hence what our likely lineup should take into account.

Gurgen

Established Member
banduan said:
TWEETY! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s</a>

Lord Dula

Established Member
Gurgen said:
banduan said:
TWEETY! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Igui65gY5M&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Igui65g ... re=related</a>

Zico

Established Member
I'm glad that we have Tweety in the team. With Gallas out for the season, it means that our central defense depth chart is Djourou-Toure and Song-Silvestre (If anybody mentions Sagna or Nordveidt, I'll beat them to a pulp).

If the unthinkable happens and Toure or Djourou are injured/fatigued in a game, we are in a very good position to be able to draw on Silvestre at center back.

As for left-back, I think he can do a job. I'm not too concerned about his crossing ability. It's not like our regular left back has put in more than two decent crosses this season, so there we wouldn't be compromising in that regard...

progman07

Established Member
I missed the Man City & Villarreal games, so I'm really waiting for this match.

Hopefully we won't see Silvestre, and we win with scoring many goals.

Unforgiven

Established Member
The team has played like a title winning side in the past 2 games, I don't see why the set back of Gallas or clichy should hold us back from getting a win in this game.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Our defensive display against Newcastle was not worthy of a title-winning side. We were very poor defensively and Martins caused us a lot of problems.

Let's not get over-confident here. Last season (albeit minus Arshavin but plus Hleb) we drew 0-0 against Wigan and we weren't able to create many chances. What is in our favour, is that Wigan are lacking a dominant strikeforce. Their defence will be a tough nut to crack however, especially if they have a five man midfield. I imagine they'll attack us on the break through their wings, exploiting our weak areas whilst remaining solid defensively.

We should win but it won't be a walkover. I wouldn't be surprised if this ended in a draw.

General

Established Member
Cattermole is suspended thank god, although they have another headless chicken in Michael Brown as an alternative.

----------Fabianski

Sagna----Toure---Djourou-----Gibbs

Theo------Cesc----Song-------Arshavin

----------Ade-----Robin

No news of the full squad on Arse.com so I'm assuming that Robin and Eduardo have travelled. This should keep Wigan second guessing.

A

Anonymous

outlaw_member said:
I assume that Lee 'The Animal' Cattermole will be playing, so Song needs to put him in his place.
Am I the only one who has a liking for Lee "The Punisher" Cattermole?

Don't Laugh...but I would honestly like to see him as a squad player at Arsenal.

Top Bottom