• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wigan Vs Arsenal - Saturday 11th April, 2009 - 1500hrs

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Gurgen said:
qs said:
Its a shame a great result against a very decent side has resulted in mostly an awful lot of moaning.

It's always the same.

People would rather have a moan about Denilson than enjoy Ade's brilliant cameo for instance.

Wasnt it just :shock: . That was the Adebayor of last year, hes come back from injury very strong and determined. Exactly what we need as the season closes.

To be fair there was a lot of negatives in the game but in true Wenger reaction style I'll say we showed fantastic character and determination to put 4 goals in one half.

Our biggest improvement this season? Wengers half time talks and player mentality :wink: .

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
qs said:
Its a shame a great result against a very decent side has resulted in mostly an awful lot of moaning.
Take away Wigan's awful defending and we are staring at a defeat.

We didn't play all that well today

sabret00the

Established Member
I find it hilarious that people are so quick to jump on an anti-denilson-bandwagon that they actually jump on the wrong one. we were a better team after we switched to four-four-two and the opportunistic fans should use the fact that wenger felt [on this occasion at least] that denilson wasn't right to partner cesc there was intriguing. hopefully wenger will give up on this 4-5-1 bullshit sooner, rather than later. it's getting pathetic. Good result today, we need to work on a few issues but it was a step forward.

JGooner

Gurgen said:
qs said:

It's always the same.

People would rather have a moan about Denilson than enjoy Ade's brilliant cameo for instance.

It's possible to do both and that's what most of us have done: deplored the bad points, such as Denilson's joke of a performance, and celebrated the good points, such as Adebayor putting in a monster centre-forward display, Arshavin being devastating in the final third, etc. That makes for a more interesting thread than just white-washing the negatives and repeating the "Wenger knows" mantra.

qs

Established Member
Don Pacifico said:
qs said:

Hehe, there's two sides to that coin though. It's either moans or ridiculous claims of being unstoppable and whatnot.

If United won a game like that alot of the people bemoaning our side today would've been fawning over them and talking about how great teams can win well without playing brilliantly.

Everyone laughs when Wenger bangs on about character but I do think its something the teams found recently. The arrogance has gone, the dropping heads when we go a goal down is gone. In the past in games like todays we'd have done nothing until the last 10 minutes, probably scored a goal and ended up at 1-1. Today we battled through the second half and ended up hammering Wigan 4-1 away. Its a great result and a great sign for the future. And all without 3 of our first choice back 5 and an injury to our preferred back up CB.

qs

Established Member
sabret00the said:
I find it hilarious that people are so quick to jump on an anti-denilson-bandwagon that they actually jump on the wrong one. we were a better team after we switched to four-four-two and the opportunistic fans should use the fact that wenger felt [on this occasion at least] that denilson wasn't right to partner cesc there was intriguing. hopefully wenger will give up on this 4-5-1 bullshit sooner, rather than later. it's getting pathetic. Good result today, we need to work on a few issues but it was a step forward.

I agree. This formation with Cesc in the AM position has looked disjointed to say the least. We need Cesc in the centre dictating no matter who he's beside and we need proper forwards up front.

sabret00the

Established Member
qs said:
sabret00the said:

I agree. This formation with Cesc in the AM position has looked disjointed to say the least. We need Cesc in the centre dictating no matter who he's beside and we need proper forwards up front.
I'm honestly not sure if it's sad or funny that we have five strikers available should everyone be fit and wenger focuses on a formation that only allows one to play at a time.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
sabret00the said:
qs said:
sabret00the said:

I'm honestly not sure if it's sad or funny that we have five strikers available should everyone be fit and wenger focuses on a formation that only allows one to play at a time.

It is perhaps somewhat comical but given our weakness in CM, I'm assuming AW is trying to pack the midfield with more bodies to counter our fragility.

progman07

Established Member
Gurgen said:
qs said:

It's always the same.

what about doing both? :wink: Ade did really well, he is always great coming on from the bench. I could tell quite a few cameos like this from him. His agility got us the 3rd goal, he and Cesc closed the defender down so he misplaced the pass.

Also, Arshavin is absolutely amazing. Got a goal, an assist, had a hand in Silvestre's goal, and hit the post. Also, he never loses the ball, which is amazing. If 2-3 more attackers had the same ability to keep the ball, we would have some ridiculous possession.

And congrats to Cesc, another two assists, it's 5 in 3 games now for him, which shows how good he is. When he moves back to his real position he can get back to his very best.

Also, Song is improving really well, he uses his strength more and wins LOTS OF balls. His run was a plus, I didn't know he has this in him, but I was very happy about that. Partner for Cesc in 4-4-2.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Don Pacifico said:
qs said:

Hehe, there's two sides to that coin though. It's either moans or ridiculous claims of being unstoppable and whatnot.

To be fair there are very few in here.that go on about us being unstoppable..and credit to the moaners on this one cos i think they have silenced those overly optimistic for good. But its unfortunate when we fail to be consistent in our arguments against poor team. It bothers me when we fail to acknowledge the positives that we are so willing to flash out to the Manc/scousers.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
sabret00the said:

I think we can effectively do a 4-5-1, but my only disagreement with Wenger is Cesc should not be the player behind the striker. We have done this effectively with Diaby and Nasri..being behind and in the EPL I am sure Arshavin can also slot there. Putting Cesc there just takes a huge chunk of his effectiveness.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5175870,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 70,00.html</a>

Wenger suggests Djourou could potentially be out for weeks.

He looked in absolute agony, I wouldnt be surprised to see him out for the rest of the season too.

Captain

Established Member
Good win. We looked tired as is to be expected but we got the job done and emphatically in the end.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Wonderful. Looks like a Sagna-Toure-Silvestre-Gibbs defence...Liverpool, Chelsea and United must be laughing. Even Villareal must fancy a piece of that at the Emirates

qs

Established Member
irishgunnerz said:
Wonderful. Looks like a Sagna-Touré-Silvestre-Gibbs defence...Liverpool, Chelsea and United must be laughing. Even Villareal must fancy a piece of that at the Emirates

Meh. Pool were embarassing against Chelsea and Chelsea conceded 3 to Bolton today. Uniteds defence recently has been much worse than ours even with Tweety and Gibbs in. I think they're all very worried about our games with them.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
hmmm QS I agree with most of what you have to say but not this time! Any defence with a rookie left back and Silvestre at CB is weak beyond belief. Vidic and Ferdinand wont be out forever - and Chelsea today had a freak game.

qs

Established Member
Look no one is relishing playing us, yeah they'll be happier Gallas, Clichy and Al are out but we are still a massive threat to all of them. Next weeks games against Chelsea will be massive and it'll be a massive challenge but we are more capable of hurting their defence then they ours as long as we don't get murdered in midfield. Essein vs our midfield is scary TBH.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Going forward we are a threat to any team. The way Arshavin has settled in has been exceptional. Fabregas appears to be back with a bang and Ade is finally looking like the player he was last season. We'll be dangerous going forward alright - but we're weak in CM and to have Gibbs at left back, and Silvestre possibly as the left sided CB is certainly worrying. I guess adversity gives everyone the chance to shine.

el capitan

We've just scored 4 goals in one half against a team that overrun us for the first 50 minutes. I don't doubt this team's quality half as much as some do.

Top Bottom