• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wigan Vs Arsenal - Saturday 11th April, 2009 - 1500hrs

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
el capitan said:
We've just scored 4 goals in one half against a team that overrun us for the first 50 minutes. I don't doubt this team's quality half as much as some do.
True. This frenzy of activity resembles more one of our disappointing losses.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
el capitan said:
We've just scored 4 goals in one half against a team that overrun us for the first 50 minutes.
Which means we've now scored more goals away from home than the other 19 clubs. :bounce :bounce

run

xcdude24 said:
we need to play eboue-sagna-Touré-gibbs the rest of the season. Tweety can't play. Period.

It hurts a little to say it because he's been playing well in midfield...but I think our only choice is Song in the center of defense. That means 4-4-2 with Denilson partnering cesc.

At least that way we wouldn't see any more 4-5-1.

Captain

Established Member
Silvestre makes mistakes and will be lacking match sharpness but as a fourth choice centre half coming in he will be okay.

It's a shame that practically the whole defence is changing along with his introduction but he is a good, experienced professional and I am glad that we have him right now.

I can't see us not playing 4-5-1 in at least the next three games.

el capitan

xcdude, it strikes me somewhat that you rule Silvestre out immediately from the very limited choice that we have, but you are happy to include Gibbs in that line up.

Clichy will be back soon, and I believe him and Silvestre (who has just played his first game this year - and scored a goal) will be good enough to take on the upcoming fixtures. Djourou didn't look any better than Silvestre did, that has to be said also.

el capitan

Yes it's correct, we've scored 30 goals away. Liverpool are 2nd to us on away goals with 28. Chelsea in 3rd with 27 goals away.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.premierleague.com/page/LeagueTables/0,,12306,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.premierleague.com/page/Leagu ... 06,00.html</a>

patrick42uk

Established Member
Always saw signing Silvestre as a good move. He hasnt always played but has rarely complained and he makes the right noises whenever interviewed. Of course its what he does on the pitch that counts but even there he has had promising games this season. Remember he played a blinder against Man U at the Emirates.

el capitan

I actually felt the same Patrick. I understand after the history (and the Ljungberg incident) that he was always going to get a lot of stick from the Arsenal contingent, but I did look on it as being a good signing.

We paid hardly anything and we have an experienced winner in him, whilst he is not match fit, I think with some confidence and some game time, he can rediscover some of the form that made him a good United player. Today wasn't a great performance, but in perspective, it was his first game in a very long time.

It's a risk that was worth taking, especially now that we have Gallas out for the season and Djourou picking up a knock.

Rohit

Established Member
Good win. Although changing personnel and formation certainly helped, the intent did too. We could have started with the same team we finished the match and yet had the same first half performance. We were cautious like we have been most season at the beginning of games and we conceeded like we have done so many times this season.

We look a different team when we start taking the game to the opposition and it isn't always about the formation or personnel.

Anzac

Established Member
We consistantly fail to impose ourselves on the game from the start - so much for all AW's belief...............the team doesn't respond until he has to hold their hands again at half time!

Anzac

Established Member
Captain said:
Good win. We looked tired as is to be expected but we got the job done and emphatically in the end.

If these players are tired already after 3 games then I expect us to finish the season in the same manner as last season = we've got more injuries before we have all our long term injuries back, and we're going to be expected to back up every 3-4 days while we are in 3 comps.

Perhaps we won't need to worry so much after this coming week - the next 3 games could decide our season.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
We won. ManU were far from their best and looked jaded. They won. Chelsea got a huge lead and were almost pegged back in stunning fashion, but, again, they won.

This time of the season, there are going to be times when you're running on fumes, but as long as the results keep coming we just move on to the next one.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I feel sorry for the people who can't fully appreciate a great win like this, especially with our recent troubles as well as our heavy injuries in mind. It wasn't a easy game. Last season we went up there with what a lot of people consider a better team to meet an even worse Wigan and we only got 0-0.

Bottom line is, we won, and we managed to give a couple of players some well-needed rest so they're fresh for wednesday. And through all this we still looked twice the side compared to United and Chelsea today. People complain too much.

Anzac

Established Member
el capitan said:
Yes it's correct, we've scored 30 goals away. Liverpool are 2nd to us on away goals with 28. Chelsea in 3rd with 27 goals away.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.premierleague.com/page/LeagueTables/0,,12306,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.premierleague.com/page/Leagu ... 06,00.html</a>

Well it's some small comfort to know we have the goal difference covered should it come to that.

Anzac

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
I feel sorry for the people who can't fully appreciate a great win like this, especially with our recent troubles as well as our heavy injuries in mind. It wasn't a easy game. Last season we went up there with what a lot of people consider a better team to meet an even worse Wigan and we only got 0-0.

Bottom line is, we won, and we managed to give a couple of players some well-needed rest so they're fresh for wednesday. And through all this we still looked twice the side compared to United and Chelsea today. People complain too much.

Last season's game was played in the late kick off on a bog of a pitch in a 4411 / 451 & the weather was wet from memory. We started with the same sh*t again & conceeded. We were lucky this time that we had some quality available on the bench.

It wasn't a great win by any stretch of the imagination regardless of injury excuses etc - it was yet another tale of 2 halves & another escape that should never have been needed in the first place. We played about 35 minutes of the sort of football we used to see from kick off with the old squad.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Anzac said:
It wasn't a great win by any stretch of the imagination regardless of injury excuses etc - it was yet another tale of 2 halves & another escape that should never have been needed in the first place. We played about 35 minutes of the sort of football we used to see from kick off with the old squad.
Still we were four times as productive today. Personally I think that's bollocks. We started out with a team that shouldn't have started but we also managed to rest some players who probably needed it in order to not break down again. We didn't play some magical kind of football during the whole ninety last season and we had lesser alternatives in the finishing section. It's a testament to our ability rather than a sign of weakness that we turned around a 0-1 from the first half to a 4-1 win. In an ideal Arsenal world we would never play bad or concede silly goals but that's not football. You simply deal with it if you're getting your back towards the wall. It's an important part of the game. Our inability to do so was our downfall at the end of last season. Our ability to do it this year might be the key to two rather large cup finals.

Anzac

Established Member
IMO our expectations have sunk to an all time low if we are comparing our performance to the run home last season - I'd stop watching if we were still playing that ineptly.

Yes it's an improvement over the corresponding fixture etc, but still not a patch on how we played at the begining of last season - this is what I mean re 90 minutes etc.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Anzac said:
IMO our expectations have sunk to an all time low if we are comparing our performance to the run home last season - I'd stop watching if we were still playing that ineptly.
Why? The comparison is based on a improvement, not a deterioration. You said it yourself. It's obvious to anyone that we didn't play our best football in the first half but a game lasts ninety minutes (unless it's Juventus playing; in their case it's more like 96 minutes. 98 if they're a goal down). The points are counted when the final whistle is blown and not a second before that. Everyone celebrates the mental strength of United when they make a great comeback against Villa. I don't see the difference, really. Today was a massive win, extremely important both for our position in the table and for the confidence in the team. The football was also very easy on the eye for about 45 minutes. If we can't appreciate the present then what's the point of watching football at all?

Top Bottom