• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 232,031

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpower2540

Hard to say if he’s worked out. His numbers are still excellent but sounds like Juve are desperate to get rid of him now. Even offered him to Barca according to Ballague. He’s on astronomical wages and his main purpose was to win the champions league for them (ridiculous thinking really) but it hasn’t happened.

Leo_ense_

AnthonyG Survivor
Imagine the crying though? People would rather see us sign a 7 ft Norwegian embryo who suppose to be the next best thing and then moan about why we finished 9th and didn’t improve.

Agreed mate.

Think it’s time the n0nce squad here have a word with themselves and give up the constant clamour for young players.

@GDeep™

mpower2540

Think I can see this a little bit from both sides tbh. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a too many players at his age signed on long term deals that have been utter successes. He’s another Kia client which is a concern and makes our transfer strategy look very short term, in the hands of opportunists and people with ulterior motives.

However Willian fixes problems we currently have, he’s still fast, has a terrific shot (no one seems to f’ing shoot in this team enough) and can create chances, I’ve always rated him highly plus he’s been a consistent champions league player. Seems to look after himself well too!

If he can give us 2 seasons close to/his best level then he’ll be a fine signing

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Think I can see this a little bit from both sides tbh. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a too many players at his age signed on long term deals that have been utter successes. He’s another Kia client which is a concern and makes our transfer strategy look very short term, in the hands of opportunists and people with ulterior motives.

However Willian fixes problems we currently have, he’s still fast, has a terrific shot (no one seems to f’ing shoot in this team enough) and can create chances, I’ve always rated him highly plus he’s been a consistent champions league player. Seems to look after himself well too!

If he can give us 2 seasons close to/his best level then he’ll be a fine signing
Exactly how I see it. I don’t know why people think he’s suddenly going to go off the edge of a cliff football wise which is the most important thing at the end of the day for us. I refuse to look at his agent and see it as a downside. Kia won’t be taking the free kicks... Well I hope that’s not in the contract anyway :facepalm:

mpower2540

Exactly how I see it. I don’t know why people think he’s suddenly going to go off the edge of a cliff football wise which is the most important thing at the end of the day for us. I refuse to look at his agent and see it as a downside. Kia won’t be taking the free kicks... Well I hope that’s not in the contract anyway :facepalm:
Think they’re just going down the route of we need quality/ready made players to get back in the champions league and we can’t afford to wait on younger players from lower down to come good. It’s a bold strategy, don’t know if it’ll work but project youth days didn’t exactly end up littering us with trophies.

I’m torn on it tbh mate, there’s part of me that’s saying we should be more focused on younger talents that grow with the team like every stat/sensible person says. Then there’s another side that’s absolutely sick to death of waiting around. ****ing Brighton did the double over us this season!! Get some proper footballers in who can give the minnows a good beating ffs. Cross your fingers Willian is one of them

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
  • I'd be a lot happier if he was a player we really wanted, not just a mate and business partner of Luiz, who really is not a consistent enough CB to get us top 4 and continue at Arsenal
  • And not being acquired because his agent is Edu's mate.
  • And his stats were at least better than Theo's.
  • And he wasn't 32
  • And we hadn't signed him for 3 years, which is crazy
  • And he wasn't a right sided attacker, where we've only just bought our most expensive signing ever. Pepe's started to look good and settled. What does this say to him?

Lots of talk about his wages, bonuses and Kia's fees . . wait to see. But if we're still in it to find a quality CB to match Saliba and upgrade our midfield, and not just more Kia stuff, I'll wait before getting really depressed about this summer's business. It's still OK if Mari, Cedric, Luiz and Willian are not our main business.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
  • I'd be a lot happier if he was a player we really wanted, not just a mate and business partner of Luiz, who really is not a consistent enough CB to get us top 4 and continue at Arsenal
  • And not being acquired because his agent is Edu's mate.
  • And his stats were at least better than Theo's.
  • And he wasn't 32
  • And we hadn't signed him for 3 years, which is crazy
  • And he wasn't a right sided attacker, where we've only just bought our most expensive signing ever. Pepe's started to look good and settled. What does this say to him?
Lots of talk about his wages, bonuses and Kia's fees . . wait to see. But if we're still in it to find a quality CB to match Saliba and upgrade our midfield, and not just more Kia stuff, I'll wait before getting really depressed about this summer's business. It's still OK if Mari, Cedric, Luiz and Willian are not our main business.

Just a few points to match yours and give a different take on things -

• It seems Arteta really does want the player, driving force for the deal to be done.
  • I'm not too fussed about his stats or age due to the chance creation last season in particular. He really flourished with Hazard out the side.
  • The key thing here is Willian can play LW/RW and mainly centrally, which is where he'll likely play for us due to the chance creation amongst other things. Certainly not being signed to play RW.
Is he the best possible signing to fix our chance creation? For the cost he seemingly is, on top of that he has bags of experience in the league. Do we need more? Absolutely. Partey, a CB, another CM and potentially a Lacazette replacement are a must alongside this. But I like the deal, his numbers from central areas are incredibly impressive.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

So far Arteta has specifically requested two players, 1 a left footed CB which we have, and may be getting another one, and 2, Willian, a player with experience in the PL, which he wanted as he knows we can't rely on the kids.

Arteta is being backed by the board so far, if Willian is rubbish, that falls on Mikel, he wanted him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom