• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Winning Mentality

fute

Winning mentality means nothing to elite sports players. As Pep has said, he had to lose first to win, same with Klopp as well recently.

Look at the other sporting greats, Federer, Tiger, Mayweather, Luke Littler, Khabib. All these guys lost to win.

🤔

HighburyHigh

The team is insecure and sensitive. They need to grow a thick skin so when they do suffer a defeat, they don’t take it to heart and let it eat them up where the sadness continues for another 2-3 games while they feel sorry for themselves and lose all confidence.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Winning mentality means nothing to elite sports players. As Pep has said, he had to lose first to win, same with Klopp as well recently.

Look at the other sporting greats, Federer, Tiger, Mayweather, Luke Littler, Khabib. All these guys lost to win.

Luke Littler seems a bit misplaced amongst those names :lol:

GoonerJay24

Interestingly reading the thread responses above from 13 years ago, it does seem like Arteta is a lot closer to Wenger than we realise in terms of his squad management.

The issues the fanbase felt were a problem then (repeatedly playing the same 11 all season) seem to be the same things we are discussing now

Only difference was Arteta had money unlike Wenger

GoonerJay24

It's the same problem - lack of strength in depth. I have to say we are much closer to having it now than we were then. Some of the players in our first XI then would (rightly) not get into our squad now.

Like who? I think Djourou is the only one from that season who wouldn't

GoonerJay24

Imagine losing one game in four months and acting like this.. We took four points from Liverpool and City, are two points behind first place but sure, we don't have leaders and urgency when it matters.

What about the leaders and urgency at Liverpool when they lost to Palace?

The thing is, people are overlooking how easy our fixture list was. Barring the Liverpool game, we had the easiest run up until now. Smashing demotivated Sheffield United and West Ham. Burnley, ****ing Burnley and Luton..trying to play out from the back against Arsenal? It's just not elite football nowadays. Against well setup sides with shrewd coaches, we've struggled all season.

Theres leaders in this squad and good characters, but does Arteta know how to harness that leadership from his players?

GoonerJay24

Almunia, Vela, Denilson, Squillaci, Chamakh wouldn't get in the squad. There's another seven or eight who would struggle to do so.

Oh I thought you said team not squad, yh 100% agree. Most of the 2011 team would start for us now apart from Walcott and Djourou.

HighburyHigh

I just was watching a couple of our previous cup finals. The 2015 win against Villa, we had some good flair players like Sanchez and Corzola. I think that’s the missing ingredient for this current team, we have no flair players that you need to scare the opposition and unlock a low block.

GoonerJay24

I just was watching a couple of our previous cup finals. The 2015 win against Villa, we had some good flair players like Sanchez and Corzola. I think that’s the missing ingredient for this current team, we have no flair players that you need to scare the opposition and unlock a low block.

We have, maybe the structure stifles them abit but I'd say we have a few tbh

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
Doesn't exist at our club because sadly since 2005 the club surrounded themselves with so many young players selling best players every season it created fear to compete against teams better than them. Even with Arteta best effort it's still here we still afraid to face big teams
Don't you think our results this season against our direct competitors sort of contradict this by default though?

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Only winning club mentality in the world are Man City, Bayern and Real Madrid.
Agree about Bayern & Madrid. Its a fairly recent thing for City though.

You can argue Man U one of the biggest clubs (far bigger than City) in the World had it in spades under Fergie.
Chelsea had it under Abramovich.
Loads of clubs have had it in the past.

Say Pep leaves?
I'll give you a scenario,City get sanctioned & the owners decide to pull out that winning mentality could soon be dust?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Almunia, Vela, Denilson, Squillaci, Chamakh wouldn't get in the squad. There's another seven or eight who would struggle to do so.

Prime Vela would actually be the perfect player to have for our frontline right now, would be great to rotate him with Saka.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Prime Vela would actually be the perfect player to have for our frontline right now, would be great to rotate him with Saka.

Fkin hell, Carlos Vela that takes me back:

He went on to do REALLY well with Sociedad, both he and Griezmann were stand out wide players, just a shame he never really worked out here.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Did Vela score a goal for us that wasn't a chip :lol:

I swear every League Cup appearance he scored one :lol:

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom