• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Worst Arsenal memory?

What is your worst Arsenal memory?

• Total voters

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
My heart will always be closer to 89 & 91, but for sheer brilliance the Vieira/Bergkamp overlap period was hard to beat.
If alcohol hadn't put a huge dent into '90, and small dents into '89 and '91 that team would have been untouchable.
If Wenger had been nutritionist for that squad we would have walked every competition there was.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Both legs against Liverpool in the CL were disasters. It’s up there for me.

That ref in the first leg was so corrupt ffs, I remember he was from pretty much the same town as Kuyt too. I still can’t get over it to this day then we got ******* over in the second leg by that cheat Ryan Babel who dived for the penalty.

alex-hleb-arsenal-fouled-dirk-kuyt-penalty-715833.jpg

How is this not a penalty?

:lol:

That second leg still annoys me.

From Theo's run and Adebayor's finish and then they go straight down the other end and dive for a penalty (that we would never have got if it had been at the other end.) We didn't even have time to celebrate properly. We were through and yet 2 minutes later we weren't. I felt sick.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Final in Baku as it was my first European away game and a final as well. Such a good atmosphere in the city with the Arsenal fans but we royally ****ed up in the final.

Other than that- Final against Barca.

EinmalImmerEwig

There's some ancient people on here.
One of my best Arsenal memories* was the Battle of Highbury.
That was when The Arsenal showed that we were World Champions.
7 of our boys in the team, Frank Moss, George Male, Eddie Hapgood, Wilf Copping, Ray Bowden, Ted Drake and Cliff Bastin
That pub player Stanley Matthews played his 2nd game.
England v. Italy. 1934
Italy were allegedly World Champions after England hadn't bothered with the competition, and they came to England to play.
The game was played at Highbury, Arsenal beat the World Champions 3-2, those were the days.

* my Granddad talked about it, that's what I remember

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Such a nothing player as well.

Don't forget Chelsea buying him in 2007, with that goal be constantly replayed that summer on Sky Sports News...pretty sure Chelski bought him, just for that reason :mad:

EinmalImmerEwig

All our league winning teams are legendary for this club.

The two big ones though will always be 88/89 and 03/04...1989 as it was the best moment in our history and 2004 as it was the best achievement in our history.

You don't need to have a go at The Invincibles, to make another of our league winning teams look stronger...appreciate them both, they are both great Arsenal teams.

Also...what does the amount of foreigners in a team have to do with anything? :lol:
Agreed to the first point.
The Invincibles were fantastic, but...

2nd point. It matters to me how many foreigners are in the team.
That is so important, but I've tried to explain it in a new thread.
For me, Wenger coming in and buying french players made it a great team, but had nothing to do with my perception of what The Arsenal were, and what they were to my Dad's side of the family.

The Arsenal was started by Scot David Danskin and his work mates in Woolwich, in 1886. In 1913 they moved to Highbury. That for me was a new Club starting up. The Arsenal, playing at The Arsenal Stadium.
The new local Club for my family. That's how I perceive it, and will always do so.

Moving to the Emirates, changing the badge, foreign owners, foreign mercenaries playing on the pitch, foreign fan clubs getting tickets for the games, that's not my Arsenal anymore.
I'm watching them again because it's corona time, and it limits other activities, and it's quite nice to watch them without all the tourists, but my Arsenal died a long time ago.

This is my opinion, and if people don't like it then that's up to them, but I hope they understand why I think this way.
Football should be about your village/town wanting to beat your neighbours...and if you beat them to go beyond that and beat all-comers.

If your village or town team isn't made up of people with any connection to that place then...well, for me it's not worth anything.
You might as well not bother.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
There's some ancient people on here.
Yup, and we got to see Arsenal have the single most exultant moment in footballing history live in 1989. For all the ups and downs since, nothing has come close.

Also, I will be honest, I feel a bit sorry for anyone in the UK who didn't experience the changes in so many things at the end of the 80s and the wave of optimism that grew into and through the 90s.

So much of the last 15 years has been relentlessly depressing in terms of politics, injustice, corporate greed, the rise of the far right, clamping down on rights etc.

That said, it will be those who didn't see any of the good times who will make the next set of good times come along.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom