• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Your ultimate 25-man Arsenal PL squad?

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
As I said, you basically have no arguments to support any of this. Even if you don't agree with me, I at least explained my opinion. You are talking in absolutes, "isn't half the player Tony Adams" without explaining when, why. Give me an example of Adams big CL games where he was marking someone like Messi or Iniesta, give me an example of all the big things he won at the time when PL was probably 3rd league in Europe.
It's actually you who are trying to discredit one of our ex players

Well sorry Tony Adams wasn't 20 years younger, your argument is stupid that's why I'm not taking it seriously. Koscielny was a bottlejob that lost us many big games because he was too nervous. Like who cares if he marks Messi or Iniesta when we'd get humiliated in those matches anyway, do you not recall how many embarrassing results Koscielny was in the heart of our defence for?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Well sorry Tony Adams wasn't 20 years younger, your argument is stupid that's why I'm not taking it seriously. Koscielny was a bottlejob that lost us many big games because he was too nervous. Like who cares if he marks Messi or Iniesta when we'd get humiliated in those matches anyway, do you not recall how many embarrassing results Koscielny was in the heart of our defence for?
There's no need for him to be 20 years younger, I'm saying that glorified 90's team full of legends couldn't dominate anything in the league that wasn't even close to the current standards or Italian league at the time and they were literally meaningless team in Europe, which means they were only that good from our perspective but not in reality.
As far as I remember, we weren't humiliated when Kos played against them, we didn't go through but that's another topic. Now, imagine a drunk like Adams in Barcelona on that day marking Messi, that would be something

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

There's no need for him to be 20 years younger, I'm saying that glorified 90's team full of legends couldn't dominate anything in the league that wasn't even close to the current standards or Italian league at the time and they were literally meaningless team in Europe, which means they were only that good from our perspective but not in reality.
As far as I remember, we weren't humiliated when Kos played against them, we didn't go through but that's another topic. Now, imagine a drunk like Adams in Barcelona on that day marking Messi, that would be something

All I know is Adams won't be getting put in headlocks by 5'5 guys with mohawks like that French sissy. Koscielny cried because his kids asked him why he's so sh!t :lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We have never been a really good European team unfortunately...even under our peak with Arsène from 1996-2006, we only made two European finals, losing both, which is poor for the players we had at that time...call it tactics, injuries or just plain bad luck, we could never crack Europe for some reason.

I love Kos, but there is no way we were better in Europe during his time than Adams...during Kos' career we pretty much always went out of Europe in a very embarrassing manner (not all on him obviously) and none of our rivals viewed us as a serious contender to the Champions League in the 2010s anyway...as I said, our last European trophy came under Tony's captaincy in 1994.

Also the Premiership in the 1990s, especially from around 95/96 onwards was a great league...it didn't have a bunch of drugged up robots running around constantly for 90 mins and boring us all to death, it had a bunch of artists back then, playing football the way it should be played, with the emphasis on skill (some of them were drunk at various points!) plus anyone who finished ahead of a Ferguson lead United, especially in the 1990s/2000s should be very proud as they were just a ****ing machine back then...our 1998 team is one of our best ever, and probably zero of our players from Kos time here would get into it's starting eleven.

BigPoppaPump

We have never been a really good European team unfortunately...even under our peak with Arsène from 1996-2006, we only made two European finals, losing both, which is poor for the players we had at that time...call it tactics, injuries or just plain bad luck, we could never crack Europe for some reason.

I love Kos, but there is no way we were better in Europe during his time than Adams...during Kos' career we pretty much always went out of Europe in a very embarrassing manner (not all on him obviously) and none of our rivals viewed us as a serious contender to the Champions League in the 2010s anyway...as I said, our last European trophy came under Tony's captaincy in 1994.

Also the Premiership in the 1990s, especially from around 95/96 onwards was a great league...it didn't have a bunch of drugged up robots running around constantly for 90 mins and boring us all to death, it had a bunch of artists back then, playing football the way it should be played, with the emphasis on skill (some of them were drunk at various points!) plus anyone who finished ahead of a Ferguson lead United, especially in the 1990s/2000s should be very proud as they were just a ****ing machine back then...our 1998 team is one of our best ever, and probably zero of our players from Kos time here would get into it's starting eleven.

Haha you're agreeing with me about Koscielny, my mission is successful. I don't even hate him as much as it sounds but I get annoyed when people praise a player more than they deserve.

Also I think not winning any European trophies in the early to mid 2000s was Arsène's biggest faliures. Liverpool won the UEFA Cup in 2001 and CL in 2005 and we were definitely better than them that whole period. Arsène was ahead of his time in England but seemed to be behind the times in Europe, we just bottled it too much.

Even if we beat Chelsea in 2004 who knows if we would have even won against Mourinho's Porto? Europe just isn't part of our culture like Liverpool for example or even Man United.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

Players who walk into that side from Kos time: Sanchez, Fabregas, Cazorla, Sagna, RvP, Özil, and that's just based on pure talent ignoring the obvious improvement in standards of football over the years.
Let's not pretend that we didn't have some amazing players for the last 15 years. We've had them but not at the same time and mostly they were playing with utter crap around them, something that wasn't the case from 98-2004 when we've had at least 10 very good players at the same time (sometimes more)

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Haha you're agreeing with me about Koscielny, my mission is successful. I don't even hate him as much as it sounds but I get annoyed when people praise a player more than they deserve.
Same here... Adams was not Maldini but you're talking about him like that was the case. I don't hate Adams and he would actually be my fav CB next to Campbell, but putting Kos down like he was a gimp and praising Adams out of limits, simply doesn't work for me

Riou

Also I think not winning any European trophies in the early to mid 2000s was Arsène's biggest faliures. Liverpool won the UEFA Cup in 2001 and CL in 2005 and we were definitely better than them that whole period. Arsène was ahead of his time in England but seemed to be behind the times in Europe, we just bottled it too much.

Even if we beat Chelsea in 2004 who knows if we would have even won against Mourinho's Porto? Europe just isn't part of our culture like Liverpool for example or even Man United.

There were some amazing teams in the late 1990s and early 2000s for us to compete with, but we were right up there during that period...some of the players we had during that time was ridiculous really...Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Adams, Pires, Overmars, Campbell, Cole, Seaman etc...could literally list like two complete starting elevens of close to genuine world class players ffs...annoyed me to no end, that we weren't the first London team to win the Champions League during this period...the big trophy that got away from Arsène unfortunately.

Also, Kos will always be my boy! ;)

Riou

Players who walk into that side from Kos time: Sanchez, Fabregas, Cazorla, Sagna, RvP, Özil, and that's just based on pure talent ignoring the obvious improvement in standards of football over the years.
Let's not pretend that we didn't have some amazing players for the last 15 years. We've had them but not at the same time and mostly they were playing with utter crap around them, something that wasn't the case from 98-2004 when we've had at least 10 very good players at the same time (sometimes more)

Of course we have had some brilliant players in the 2010s, despite not being a title chasing team we have still been a very good side which I have enjoyed watching.

The players you have listed are great, but have you heard of team structure :lol:

Our 97/98 line-up...

Seaman
Dixon-Adams-Keown-Winterburn
Vieira-Petit
Parlour-Bergkamp-Overmars
Anelka
...Sagna would get in ahead of Dixon, the rest no...the reason our 98 team was so good is the flexibility in our midfield could allow us to change from a 4-2-3-1, to a 4-3-3 easily depending on whom we were playing...taking out Parlour (who isn't as good individually as some of the players you listed, but was a very underrated player) messes that up, as him being in the team allowed Overmars a complete free role, and Marc is only bettered by Pires as a winger in the Arsène era imo...you can't change the midfield or number 10, and with Bergkamp in the team you don't need Van Persie at all, as someone like Anelka (who was a superb player, when motivated) would suit the striker role better.

BigPoppaPump

Same here... Adams was not Maldini but you're talking about him like that was the case. I don't hate Adams and he would actually be my fav CB next to Campbell, but putting Kos down like he was a gimp and praising Adams out of limits, simply doesn't work for me

Adams is an Arsenal legend you just don't respect legacy, this is what you respect:

ITDb9Xo.jpg

There were some amazing teams in the late 1990s and early 2000s for us to compete with, but we were right up there during that period...some of the players we had during that time was ridiculous really...Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Adams, Pires, Overmars, Campbell, Cole, Seaman etc...could literally list like two complete starting elevens of close to genuine world class players ffs...annoyed me to no end, that we weren't the first London team to win the Champions League during this period...the big trophy that got away from Arsène unfortunately.

Also, Kos will always be my boy! ;)

You could even see it in later years when Monaco and AC Milan got rid of us with ease, teams that we could compete with. Arsène's tactics just never worked in Europe.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Of course we have had some brilliant players in the 2010s, despite not being a title chasing team we have still been a very good side which I have enjoyed watching.

The players you have listed are great, but have you heard of team structure :lol:

Seaman
Dixon-Adams-Keown-Winterburn
Vieira-Petit
Parlour-Bergkamp-Overmars
Anelka
...Sagna would get in ahead of Dixon, the rest no...the reason our 98 team was so good is the flexibility in our midfield could allow us to change from a 4-2-3-1, to a 4-3-3 easily depending on whom we were playing...taking out Parlour (who isn't as good individually as some of the players you listed, but was a very underrated player) messes that up, as him being in the team allowed Overmars a complete free role, and Marc is only bettered by Pires as a winger in the Arsène era imo...you can't change the midfield or number 10, and with Bergkamp in the team you don't need Van Persie at all, as someone like Anelka (who was a superb player, when motivated) would suit the striker role better.

Seaman
Sagna-Adams-Keown-Winterburn
Vieira-Fabregas
Cazorla-Bergkamp-Sanchez
Anelka
Fixed it for you. Anelka and RvP is debatable, think RvP was a goal machine when fit even with Podolski and Walcott around him but I'll let that one go because it was the only time Anelka looked like a real deal.
The rest is a joke IMO, Parlour before Sanchez/Cazorla? C'mon :D

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
You could even see it in later years when Monaco and AC Milan got rid of us with ease, teams that we could compete with. Arsène's tactics just never worked in Europe.
I'm not debating that, but I'm still waiting for Adam's success story in Europe. I don't think that Kos was a top defender. He was a 3-4 out of 5, just like Adams

Riou

Seaman
Sagna-Adams-Keown-Winterburn
Vieira-Fabregas
Cazorla-Bergkamp-Sanchez
Anelka
Fixed it for you. Anelka and RvP is debatable, think RvP was a goal machine when fit even with Podolski and Walcott around him but I'll let that one go because it was the only time Anelka looked like a real deal.
The rest is a joke IMO, Parlour before Sanchez/Cazorla? C'mon :D

Would probably have Cesc just over Petit as a better player, but Vieira and Fabregas doesn't really work as both were too attacking, so Manu gets in...Overmars has to be in the team, one of the best wingers ever...Sanchez/Van Persie would also be in it over Parlour if we were picking the 11 best players, but I am picking the best team that would actually work well together, so I am keeping The Romford Pele in ;)

Cazorla might be a good shout to get in instead of Ray, but I worry how that would change the midfield though.

Last edited:

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
GK: Seaman, Lehmann, Cech
RB: Lauren, Sagna
LB: Cole, Winterburn
CB: Adams, Sol, Adams, Toure
CM: Vieira, Gilberto, Petit
AM: Fabregas, Cazorla, Özil
RW: Ljungberg, Overmars
LW: Pires, Sanchez
ST/FW: Henry, Bergkamp, Anelka, Wright