• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Zone vs Man

hesham

Established Member
Well not much to say but Wenger surley has to change his tactics in defending set pieces... we conceded the first goal and all the rest b4 with this zone marking and it just doesnt work....
weve gt tall and fast enough playr to mark man 2 man easy.. It seemed that during the rest of the game we were marking both in a way which worked ok but weve got to be picking up runners..
The psv goal was scored by the guy practicly running accros the whole line of defence and because hes crossing from zone to zone no one knows whos gona pickem up

JazzG

Established Member
Zonal is something which might work in open play but for corner and set pieces which are frantic it is totally rubbish imo. Later on we went man to man and we looked rock solid at them

Lipe

Well I've always prefered man marking but zonal marking, if done right, can also be very effective.

hesham

Established Member
thing is our players are the exact type of players u need to mark man to man TALL and QUICK and its much more simple

Jasper

I was watching this show and they made a good point on how we get caught transferring from zone to man.

It seems we play zone in the open game and while we change to man our defense just becomes unorganized and our defense starts losing their man.

It it be some simple communication or organisation problem?
When Sol is in our defense does look better.

That last goal was Vieira's fault 100%. He didn't mark his man.
The video replay doesn't do him any favors. The man he was trying to mark, running alone with, was the one that scored the header.

joe3428

Jasper said:
That last goal was Vieira's fault 100%. He didn't mark his man.
The video replay doesn't do him any favors. The man he was trying to mark, running alone with, was the one that scored the header.

are you talking about PSV game? b'cause I thought it was Henry's fault?
it was his area and he didn't move..... well not that I'm blaming henry.... but he shouldn't be there....

and you're right at the end we change to man marking for every set pieces last night.. which is better except on one point Toure was outjumped by PSV defender... the rest is more like half changes...

Jasper

If it was man,
Vieira was the one marking and running along Ooijer.
Ooijer just ran past and outjumped Vieira while Vieira was slow to react.

If it was a zone I'm not sure. It could have been Henry's area to cover.
But I don't think our forwards defend in the box during set pieces. Usually Bergie and Henry stay a little out for a possible counter attack.

Rocafella

Established Member
Like Andy Gray says, zonal marking from corners always gives you a disadvantage. When you have the Arsenal players lined across the 6 yard box, who has more chance of winning the header. Them standing stationary or the opposition getting a running jump over our players? Zonal marking always favours the opposition from corners

lee1001

Established Member
Personaly i think Henry should be on the edge of the area or even further away from goal for defending corners.
That way when the ball breaks we have our fastest player and 60yrds of pitch to run into, as we've seen before, Henry will beat most players in the world for pace and his dribbling is equally awesome. The only exception to this rule is when we are defending a lead or under pressure. The goal conceded last night was in the 8th minute so i have no idea why Henry was 2 yrds from the goal line then.

As for Vieira, he really needs to work on his defensive headers. Lately he has been crap!

Talking of which, does anybody notice that rarely do we have a man on the edge of the oppositions area when we take corners? Im sure half of Scholes goals have been blasted in when the ball rebounds to the edge of the area.

Another thing that confuses me is why Henry and V Persie take corners?
Surely there is somebody else in the team who can cross, and if not, get em to learn!!! V Persie is known for his aerial ability, yet there he is taking the corners!!
Can anybody explain that one to me?

gooner#1

Short corners is what we should be taking. We are totally crap at crosses(defending and attacking) and freekicks so I think short ones should be best .
Only Arsène can sort out the Zonal Marking issue .In my view we should just stick to Man marking then none will get confused .
I feel for Zonal Marking to work you need to have the communication in the box for instance-Henry and Vieira against PSV there was none.If someone shouted "man on" I am sure the goal could of been prevented.

Top Bottom