• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
His performance was helped in good part by the pathetic current state of the league, but the way he improved Villa should ensure he finally gets proper backing from a PL club, and deservedly so.

Hope he secures the Conference League spot, would be fun to see how he does there.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Arsenal was 10th when he joined, but only 5 points off 4th place, and finished 8th and 10 points off 4th place.

So you think that we should have stuck with Emery then?

Did you see what happened when Lacazette scored against Palace to make it 2-2 that season? Go back and watch that clip and that would tell you everything you needed to know about the state of things.

I know you want to get your Arteta jabs in everywhere possible, but we must be realistic as well.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
So you think that we should have stuck with Emery then?

Did you see what happened when Lacazette scored against Palace to make it 2-2 that season? Go back and watch that clip and that would tell you everything you needed to know about the state of things.

I know you want to get your Arteta jabs in everywhere possible, but we must be realistic as well.
No, Emery lost the dressing room and had to be sacked unfortunately.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I still remember there at the time people were still talking about us having an outside chance of top 4 if we sorted things out quickly. The spell under Freddie was a low point which sucked the life out of the club but you'd swear we were near the relegation zone the way people talk about what Mik took over. The spell we had with Mik a year after in 2020 was far worse than what we saw under Emery prior to his sacking.

Even into the new year CL football wasn't completely inconceivable through the league if we didn't drop silly points. We only really solidified our mid-table status post lockdown with our heavy defeat vs City and loss to Brighton, two games which we desperately needed to points from. There was only 5 points between 5th and 9th during lockdown, it's not like we were cut adrift in 8th spot and had no chance to do anything.

Serious amount of revisionism over where we were when Mik first took the job. The only thing you can say is that it was his first job so maybe you can excuse some of his failures initially.
That is harsh! Do you not remember the last month of Emery? It was a like a bloody morgue in the ground. We scored a last minute equaliser against Southampton (or was it Palace?) and neither players or fans celebrated. That's when you knew he was toast.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

That is harsh! Do you not remember the last month of Emery? It was a like a bloody morgue in the ground. We scored a last minute equaliser against Southampton (or was it Palace?) and neither players or fans celebrated. That's when you knew he was toast.

What I mean by that is everyone thought Emery was the problem and him going would solve it. What I mean is that City game at home has to be the lowest point it was a realisation of how far off we were and it wasn't just a case of changing the manager.

Entropics

Established Member

No, Emery lost the dressing room and had to be sacked unfortunately.

That actually proves how awful Arteta has been. He didn't receive this flawed broken squad no, he received a squad that last season was one final and one point close from achieving its target, and whose biggest problem was simply not listening the manager.

The job was simple, with the season being a free hit not because of Emery but because we wasted so much time getting a replacement, it was mostly a matter of not losing the dressing room, a task made easier considering he was given authority to get rid of Özil

What does he do? He gets a FA cup, but then he hounds out the player that singlehandedly made it happen, and proceeds to fully gets us out of Europe, wasting our warchest on this team that as discussions show not only stands in the shadow of Özil when he played football, but even in the shadow of Nicolas Pepe.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
What I mean by that is everyone thought Emery was the problem and him going would solve it. What I mean is that City game at home has to be the lowest point it was a realisation of how far off we were and it wasn't just a case of changing the manager.
Anyone who thought that was an idiot. What was clear however, is that Emery had lost control of the situation, and a change was needed to stem the flow of blood. It should have been clear to anyone watching that we were miles off, just as it was clear that for all his undoubted merits, Emery was not the man for the situation

Entropics

Established Member

Either people forget quickly or it's all revisionism to bash Arteta.

Btw that game was Southampton

It's actually revisionism to bash Emery and forget about the atrocious way the fanbase treated him.

Villa showed it wasn't a case of him not being able to handle the PL or a top team, it was just him being unlucky with an unstable structure that left him stranded in cases like Özil or Pepe and a fanbase that ripped him to pieces for not winning EL and finishing one point off 4th (a fanbase that would be scammed with the idea of years of rebuild to go back to the UCL and would go on to praise 8th place finishes as improvement)

Watford, Southampton, the Chelsea final.. all of it pales in comparison to the sufferball we get served weekly, and by a huge margin.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
It's actually revisionism to bash Emery and forget about the atrocious way the fanbase treated him.

Villa showed it wasn't a case of him not being able to handle the PL or a top team, it was just him being unlucky with an unstable structure that left him stranded in cases like Özil or Pepe and a fanbase that ripped him to pieces for not winning EL and finishing one point off 4th (a fanbase that would be scammed with the idea of years of rebuild to go back to the UCL and would go on to praise 8th place finishes as improvement)

Watford, Southampton, the Chelsea final.. all of it pales in comparison to the sufferball we get served weekly, and by a huge margin.
Nobody ripped him into pieces after the first season. Were there boos going in to the next season? This is the revisionism I'm talking about.

Our fanbase treated Wenger badly. Not Emery. They also treated Xhaka badly during Emery's time here but not Emery himself. Emery's main point of failure was that he lost the dressing room and there's no coming back from that sadly.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Either people forget quickly or it's all revisionism to bash Arteta.

Btw that game was Southampton
I posted the clip of the stadium going nuts at the equaliser just recently. I don't agree often with you but I didn't take you to outright lie like that other account loves to.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

I posted the clip of the stadium going nuts at the equaliser just recently. I don't agree often with you but I didn't take you to outright lie like that other account loves to.
It's more the players looked defeated. Look at the reaction of laca who was the one who scored.

Compare that to same laca scoring a last minute equalizer vs palace at home 2 years later (Vieira's first season at Palace) and the celebrations following it. In fact I felt we over celebrated that goal for a draw at home but it showed the complete difference in the team's mental state at that point.

Edit - I just rewatched it, huge boos at FT as well.

MA08

When Mik took over we were terrible for a couole of months under Emery. If Arsenal was such cr.p and had no talent and Mik constructed Arsenal, why were we in a European final with Emery finishing 1 point off Cl? How come he won his only trophy with Wenger’s players. You don’t even know history of club. If Wenger doesn’t suffer money shortages for a decade while getting Cl every year Mik has no matchday revenues and stadium to keep making 100 million buys. So yes Mik’s greatest success comes with Wengers players . And Mik can spend today because Arsène spent nothing for a decade while getting us Cl group stage every time.

Arteta is reason we aren’t a serious threat to Klopp or City and he is gravy training Stan’s money and the matchday revenues Wenger sacrificed for. He is so obviously incompetent one day he will become the joke he deserves to be
Emery lost out to Chelsea, the same team Mikel beat to win the FA cup. Why could nt Emery beat Chelsea in the final? And no Mikel's greatest success is not winning that FA cup. That is now, when we are a stronger team where the players we are linked to are top players. that is success. And no, he did not win it with Wenger's players. 4 out of starting 11 were not Wenger players. and then there were Auba and Laca who joined as Wenger was leaving Arsenal. And then Emiliano Martinez, his success was Wenger's? I admire Wenger, but don t peddle rubbish to smear our most successful time since 2015. If you do not realize that then you go learn the history of this club. because you do not look like you can understand present or the past..

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
It's more the players looked defeated. Look at the reaction of laca who was the one who scored.

Compare that to same laca scoring a last minute equalizer vs palace at home 2 years later (Vieira's first season at Palace) and the celebrations following it. In fact I felt we over celebrated that goal for a draw at home but it showed the complete difference in the team's mental state at that point.

Edit - I just rewatched it, huge boos at FT as well.
I thought celebrating an equaliser at home against some ****house team you're supposed to beat is worse than a mute reaction like the one vs Southampton. Shades of Klopp celebrating Liverpool's draw vs WBA at home.

Anyway, it was the right decision to let Emery go when we did and the wrong decision to not let Arteta go 18 months later, not because of the vibes in the ground but the football we've served.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

I thought celebrating an equaliser at home against some ****house team you're supposed to beat is worse than a mute reaction like the one vs Southampton. Shades of Klopp celebrating Liverpool's draw vs WBA at home.

Anyway, it was the right decision to let Emery go when we did and the wrong decision to not let Arteta go 18 months later, not because of the vibes in the ground but the football we've served.
Like I said, even I felt we overcelebrated that palace equalizer. But in case of the Southampton game, we didn't even get the classic "Lets quickly get the ball and restart play" reaction :lol: Players looked like they regretted scoring that (of course not seriously)

Agree with the 2nd statement but the club decided to give a newbie a job and in his first full season he faltered pretty much, so they decided to give it more time I guess and I'd say that has actually worked. It being a covid season also didn't help. Yes, all clubs were affected by the covid season but for a newbie manager it just was too much to handle I guess.

Tom349

Would love to know the rational behind this. How can something be the wrong decision when the outcome has us challenging for the title and back in the CL.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Would love to know the rational behind this. How can something be the wrong decision when the outcome has us challenging for the title and back in the CL.
Because it's possible we could have got there quicker for less, could've won a trophy in the mean time, without spending a full season out of Europe, without losing a bunch of talented players in the process etc pick your reason.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Our fanbase treated Wenger badly. Not Emery. They also treated Xhaka badly during Emery's time here but not Emery himself. Emery's main point of failure was that he lost the dressing room and there's no coming back from that sadly.

Nah what is this nonsense though? Emery was literally a meme and had to rebuild his rep again in Spain lol

He was 100% treated badly, by the press, the players and yes the fans. Way too much has been made of him losing the dressing room when Arteta basically fell out with all the same players minus Xhaka.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Furthermore, I thought the players were terrible? Or was it Emery's fault that he lost them?

Which one is it and which one justifies Arteta's failures during his tenure the best? Probably both when it suits lol.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom