• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Loss Champions League Round of 16: FC Porto 1 - 0 Arsenal | Wednesday 21st February | KO: 20:00 GMT | TNT Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

8cb3f4fd0930bb567ecd054213d05ccc.png

Screenshot-20240217-225720.png

lineup-1.png

Screenshot-20240217-230431.png

Prediction

Porto 0-2 Arsenal

BBF

Teams are always going to have a punt knowing we've got a dwarf in the net.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
People are going to slowly realize the problem is Arteta when teams in Europe or England employ the same exact tactics against us and if they execute well regardless of talent gap they give us problems. There is nothing special about Porto. Arteta is just tactically inept and rigid.

There is a reason why we are so poor in knockout European ties. The other teams coaches have a lot of time to prepare and gameplan and see what other teams have done to have success. Mik can’t adjust and his answer to a failure to create is just do the same thing you are doing faster

I know you got issues with Arteta but open your eyes man. We didn’t lose this on tactics. They created basically nothing and waited for us to make a mistake. We were lacking in purpose and execution on the pitch. Players got knocked off their rhythm by their snide antics, yet we were still an easy Gabriel header and a Trossard volley away from taking all 3 points.

We will smash them at the Emirates and it will feel good.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I know you got issues with Arteta but open your eyes man. We didn’t lose this on tactics. They created basically nothing and waited for us to make a mistake. We were lacking in purpose and execution on the pitch. Players got knocked of their rhythm by their snide antics, yet we were still an easy Gabriel header and a Trossard volley away from taking all 3 points.
Whose fault is it we created nothing? And created nothing with a team several times the price of Porto. It is the same double Saka tactics and low blocks and the man responsible for finding a solution can’t. He has one of the most expensive teams in the world, whose fault is it we created nothing? It can only be Mik.

Why does he persist with the build up and chance killer Havertz?

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Return leg needs to be a signal of intent from the boys and Mikel. We need to come out guns blazing and show that we belong in Europe and the next round. I pray we get an early goal because you just know they will be trying the same tactics as they did today and this time they will be even more brutal with it because they have a 1-0 lead to protect. That Pepe is such a frustrating player and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a red in the next game against us - that is if the ref is an actual ref this time around.

KingT

Today's energy was utterly off, and none of our best players showed up to play. Its awful that, out of all the players on both teams, Saka and Martinelli received the fewest touches during the match. To engage them more, we have to be more risk averse.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
IT was more than that though. Their coaching staff and ball-boys were literally stopping us from taking quick throw ins.
Well our ball boys wont be directed to slow it down. But yes it will be difficult to stop it even if the referee shows some backbone and begins to card players prior to the 80th minute.

TinFish

This game felt a bit West Ham-ish. We know we are the superior side but for some reason the performance wasn’t. I hope we can get our revenge and enact a multi goal thriller at the emirates and show them our real quality.

However it must be addressed these lapses in concentration is not the sign of champions. We aren’t winning any silverware with occasional hiccups like this…

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Whose fault is it we created nothing? And created nothing with a team several times the price of Porto. It is the same double Saka tactics and low blocks and the man responsible for finding a solution can’t. He has one of the most expensive teams in the world, whose fault is it we created nothing? It can only be Mik.

Why does he persist with the build up and chance killer Havertz?

The players on the pitch. These are the same guys who scored 21 goals in the last 5 games, including 3 past a much better team than Porto. From the moment Saliba sold Rice short with a loose ball that got him booked after 4 minutes I had a bad feeling.

I love Saka but he was garbage today. Couldn’t trap a bag of cement. Martinelli received a misplaced pass from their CB and had he played it first time Havertz would’ve been through but he took like 8 touches. Havertz too, but he played it too close to their defender when it was 3 on 3. Having zero shots on target doesn’t tell the story.

Ødegaard and Rice were the only players who turned up. Havertz was ok, but the rest were miles off it.

Trossard volleyed over the bar when he was unmarked from 8 yards out and I lost count of how many long diagonals we put straight into touch.

If you check my history I’ve called Arteta out on many occasions for his decisions but this wasn’t on him.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Porto were savvy with their gamesmanship, and they were well organised.

It's hardly West Ham or Burnley. We'll have to raise our game considerably at the Emirates.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You lot better start preparing mentally for the gamesmanship in the second leg. Hopefully an early goal will nip it in the bud, we should go through though.

Of course nothing in history will top the season we got to the CL final, Reyes was injured on the sideline and rolled back on to the pitch to stop the game. What a legend. RIP.

Literally any time they fell to the floor he gave them a free kick. That isn’t happening at the Emirates. The ref tonight was actually incredible. The one where their goalie stood on his own foot and went down was top tier.

Farzad Stoned

The players on the pitch. These are the same guys who scored 21 goals in the last 5 games, including 3 past a much better team than Porto. From the moment Saliba sold Rice short with a loose ball that got him booked after 4 minutes I had a bad feeling.

I love Saka but he was garbage today. Couldn’t trap a bag of cement. Martinelli received a misplaced pass from their CB and had he played it first time Havertz would’ve been through but he took like 8 touches. Havertz too, but he played it too close to their defender when it was 3 on 3. Having zero shots on target doesn’t tell the story.

Ødegaard and Rice were the only players who turned up. Havertz was ok, but the rest were miles off it.

Trossard volleyed over the bar when he was unmarked from 8 yards out and I lost count of how many long diagonals we put straight into touch.

If you check my history I’ve called Arteta out on many occasions for his decisions but this wasn’t on him.
All of that doesn’t even address my points. He constructed this team; whatever we have or don’t have is on him. Plus when teams have success against us it is the same game plan. Double Saka early aggressively every time.

By the way he played Jorgie; I complimented him saying that Rice and Jorgie balanced each other out. We scored goals and looked lethal in buildup with this lineup. But again he decides to jam Havertz into midfield and even bozo realized it wasn’t working and moved Havertz to striker and subbed Trossard.

He keeps Havertz in when it’s Kai who is singlehandedly destroying the balance of the attack. You don’t think having an attacking midfielder who can’t pass at all makes your chance creation worse? Who is responsible for never dropping this guy who can’t play a simple through ball? You guys blame Martinelli but Havertz is ruining him because he can’t deliver the ball in behind the defense and into space for him

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

All of that doesn’t even address my points. He constructed this team; whatever we have or don’t have is on him. Plus when teams have success against us it is the same game plan. Double Saka early aggressively every time.

By the way he played Jorgie; I complimented him saying that Rice and Jorgie balanced each other out. We scored goals and looked lethal in buildup with this lineup. But again he decides to jam Havertz into midfield and even bozo realized it wasn’t working and moved Havertz to striker and subbed Trossard.

He keeps Havertz in when it’s Kai who is singlehandedly destroying the balance of the attack. You don’t think having an attacking midfielder who can’t pass at all makes your chance creation worse? Who is responsible for never dropping this guy who can’t play a simple through ball? You guys blame Martinelli but Havertz is ruining him because he can’t deliver the ball in behind the defense and into space for him

Let’s address your points then shall we:

He constructed this team; whatever we have or don’t have is on him. Yes and it’s a team that has conceded the fewest goals in the Premier League and (as at kick off) was 1 goal shy of scoring the most. We also scored the 3rd most in the CL.

Plus when teams have success against us it is the same game plan. Double Saka early aggressively every time.

This generally only works for as long as teams have something to defend. I’ve already given you specific examples of opportunities we missed that would’ve forced them to come out.

He keeps Havertz in when it’s Kai who is singlehandedly destroying the balance of the attack

What do you mean by balance? If anything that’s why he’s there. He ADDS balance. Our other attackers are pretty similar in style and stature. He’s the one who creates the most final third turnovers and attacks the right spaces at the right times. I’m one of his biggest critics btw, but since January he’s made a big improvement.

You don’t think having an attacking midfielder who can’t pass at all makes your chance creation worse? Who is responsible for never dropping this guy who can’t play a simple through ball? You guys blame Martinelli but Havertz is ruining him because he can’t deliver the ball in behind the defense and into space for him

Making our chance creation worse HOW though? We have the highest non penalty chances created in the league and he’s in most starting XIs. Your hypothesis is directly contradicted by what is actually happening.

Farzad Stoned

Let’s address your points then shall we:

He constructed this team; whatever we have or don’t have is on him. Yes and it’s a team that has conceded the fewest goals in the Premier League and (as at kick off) was 1 goal shy of scoring the most. We also scored the 3rd most in the CL.

Plus when teams have success against us it is the same game plan. Double Saka early aggressively every time.

This generally only works for as long as teams have something to defend. I’ve already given you specific examples of opportunities we missed that would’ve forced them to come out.

He keeps Havertz in when it’s Kai who is singlehandedly destroying the balance of the attack

What do you mean by balance? If anything that’s why he’s there. He ADDS balance. Our other attackers are pretty similar in style and stature. He’s the one who creates the most final third turnovers and attacks the right spaces at the right times. I’m one of his biggest critics btw, but since January he’s made a big improvement.

You don’t think having an attacking midfielder who can’t pass at all makes your chance creation worse? Who is responsible for never dropping this guy who can’t play a simple through ball? You guys blame Martinelli but Havertz is ruining him because he can’t deliver the ball in behind the defense and into space for him

Making our chance creation worse HOW though? We have the highest non penalty chances created in the league and he’s in most starting XIs. Your hypothesis is directly contradicted by what is actually happening.
We are not highest in chance creation from open play we are 4th or 5th and you know that so i won’t belabor the point. We are flattered by a ton of set piece goals.

How is Havertz destroying the build up? Ok. Ode has two dozen through balls in the same position on the same team. Havertz has zero. Ode averages about 40 to 50 percent more touches as well.

Here is the funny thing. The outfield position that Havertz is least suited to is attacking midfield. As woeful as he is at finishing he is even worse at passing. And Mik played that position.

Yeah great we score 6 and 5 against luton or Burnley. A decent side on their day, executes a very simple gameplan of doubling Saka and playing a low block; and Mik has no answers. His answer is the worst one possible. Hoof crosses and try to get it to Saka earlier. That isn’t a plan but a hope

He is a vey limited manager who is screaming i am out of my depth. The reason we do poorly in head to head ties is elite managers get a chance to gameplan us and time. Meanwhile Mik is telling the players to have more moments with their families to improve finishing. Wtf do the two have to do with each other?

Haphazard

Ehh Technically 1-0 at halftime with the remaining leg at the Emirates, still should see us go through however we can't be complacent and be ready for their antics there as well.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We are not highest in chance creation from open play we are 4th or 5th and you know that so i won’t belabor the point. We are flattered by a ton of set piece goals.

How is Havertz destroying the build up? Ok. Ode has two dozen through balls in the same position on the same team. Havertz has zero. Ode averages about 40 to 50 percent more touches as well.

Here is the funny thing. The outfield position that Havertz is least suited to is attacking midfield. As woeful as he is at finishing he is even worse at passing. And Mik played that position.

Yeah great we score 6 and 5 against luton or Burnley. A decent side on their day, executes a very simple gameplan of doubling Saka and playing a low block; and Mik has no answers. His answer is the worst one possible. Hoof crosses and try to get it to Saka earlier. That isn’t a plan but a hope

He is a vey limited manager who is screaming i am out of my depth. The reason we do poorly in head to head ties is elite managers get a chance to gameplan us and time. Meanwhile Mik is telling the players to have more moments with their families to improve finishing. Wtf do the two have to do with each other?

I understand the defeat to Porto was frustrating.

Have you considered that Havertz might have a different role assigned than Ødegaard? Perhaps specifically focused on drawing defenders, creating space for others, or offering a different attacking outlet for long passes and 2nd balls? If so, how do you think he's doing at that?

While his end product could definitely improve, dismissing his overall contribution without acknowledging his tactical purpose is always going to limit your perspective of what we're trying to do tactically as a group. I hadn't seen it until recently.

You're entitled to criticise Arteta's approach in certain matches like Porto but instead of reductively calling it "hope" tactics, let's try to understand the rationale behind our approach and assume there is a plan? Was it to counter a specific type of Porto pressure, exploit weaknesses at defending angled balls, or something else? I challenge you to think deeper.

You're also entitled to call him a "limited manager," but it takes away from some valid points you make about areas Arteta can improve. His in-game adjustments could be more proactive, they don't always have to be after 60 minutes. Jorginho should've come on sooner. He could also make better use of squad players not called Nketiah.

He has a few positive aspects though - the development of players like Ødegaard and Saka, our team spirit, and how he's built a winning culture with a young team that is now defensively solid and competing with Liverpool and City for the title and back in the CL. What do you think of these? Serious question.

Just a couple of things to reflect on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom