• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kieran Gibbs: The Backup Backup Backup Captain

Thehulk

Time on his hands? He has had that for 8 years, he's still ****. God forbid us to waste another minute on him. He's actually older than Cashley was when he left us, and he should be the benchmark to go by.

He's not ****, you don't play for England at left back if you are ****.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
Gibbs has something like 7 NT appearances in his entire career. He just fills in if all the better players are injured or unavailable.

He didn't goto the World Cup with the NT and isn't really close to being first choice on the NT. he's only ever been 3-4th choice at highest.

Lets not drastically exaggerate his status as an "international LB".

Thehulk

It's weird to see someone spend pages criticizing Özil and then pages defending Gibbs... It's very weird...

I've not criticized Özil, far from it, just given an honest level headed opinion on him and posted his stats.

I've not said, he is ****, rubbish, or dreadfull like people are saying about Gibbs, I said Özil is a good player.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Gibbs has athleticism on his side, which is good because without it, he would find it difficult to stay consistently near the Arsenal team IMO.

He's a solid player technically but he has poor concentration at crucial points IMO and positionally he's very bad. He's a player who should be far better than he is.

Emibury

Azpilicueta
Felipe Luis
Monreal
Shaw
Clichy
Rose
Bertrand
Cresswell
Baines

They're all better than Gibbs now I reckon, the following are about the same level.

Moreno
Kolarov
Davies
Taylor
Robertson

Obviously its a matter of opinion, but I would only rate Luis, Azpilicueta and Baines as significantly better. You can't be serious about Cresswell, Rose and Clichy can you? I'd take Gibbs over any of those three in a second.

Gibbs' real weakness, that people don't seem to mention, is how injury prone he is, which would be the reason to get rid of him rather than a lack of ability or his performance. When he gets a run in the team he is pretty strong.

Danskin

Established Member
I feel Gibbs hasn't impoved one bit since making the cut here at Arsenal. He's too predictable going forward at times and his delivery in the final third is often incosistent. He's also very suspect defensively - he can't mark a turtle and he's more often than not out of position. I guess you couldn't ask much from your second-choice LB, but I thought by this time he'd have pushed on to become an established England international.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Cresswell's a level above Gibbs, if he played for a more glamorous club there'd be no doubt.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Would swapping Gibbs and Jenks for Cresswell be fair?

I think he's going to Chelsea. I'd swap Gibbs and Jenks for Cresswell plus cash.

We should be looking at a young guy to take over, I always thought it was just injuries holding Gibbs back but in recent years he's had lots of chances in the side. He's no longer a kid and his game hasn't kicked on at all.

Personally if I were Wenger I'd reboot and sign a younger LB with a view to take over from Monreal in a couple of years. Unless he's willing to splash big on Ricardo Rodriguez of course!

If AW wants a younger home grown kid he should get Robertson from Hull like Roadrunner said on the last page. The kid's better than Gibbs already. Garbutt will be available in the summer on a free and is still very raw but I think has the tools to be a good player.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
The injury excuse doesn't fly anymore. He's been largely healthy these last two years, this year he had a full pre-season and has been fit for most of the campaign. If anything he's regressed. It's one thing to be short on confident as a defender and make mistakes, but it's completely another to basically completely abandon your position and play as a faux winger like he has been doing lately.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The injury excuse doesn't fly anymore. He's been largely healthy these last two years, this year he had a full pre-season and has been fit for most of the campaign. If anything he's regressed. It's one thing to be short on confident as a defender and make mistakes, but it's completely another to basically completely abandon your position and play as a faux winger like he has been doing lately.
he has been doing that ever since the days of Arshavin...

chessygoal

Gibbs isn't a natural defender, but he's still young, and can still improve. Let's keep Monreal for the games that matters and play Gibbs as a second choice until it clicks for him. LB is IMHO nothing to be worried about.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Obviously its a matter of opinion, but I would only rate Luis, Azpilicueta and Baines as significantly better. You can't be serious about Cresswell, Rose and Clichy can you? I'd take Gibbs over any of those three in a second.

Gibbs' real weakness, that people don't seem to mention, is how injury prone he is, which would be the reason to get rid of him rather than a lack of ability or his performance. When he gets a run in the team he is pretty strong.
Cresswell has been great this season, Rose has balls which instantly makes him better than Gibbs and Clichy is still better than Gibbs, which is ****ing disgusting.

If Gibbs was foreign he'd be out the door in the summer, [rafa]facht.[/rafa]

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom