• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Anyone who had a heart...The Kop and terrace culture

alonso14

Established Member
I often ask my Dad, a veteran of the Kop for over 70 years, what it was like to watch football in the 30's, 40's and 50's. A different world he tells me....No shiny stadia, high ticket prices and £4 for a pie!. He always remembers when Liverpool played Everton in the FA Cup in the 50's, we were in the second division with The Blues ruling the Scouse soccer roost. Liverpool won, famously as underdogs, sending the red half of the city into delirium. My Dad said it was like the Coronation all over again.....Street parties and bunting!!

As Liverpool approached the next decade, it did so with a confident swagger.....Post war life, whilst austere, was generally kind to your typical scouser. The ship yards were full, and thriving dock provided the food on the table. As one of the worlds busiest sea ports, Liverpool has always been an outward looking, vibrant and cosmopolitan place, many a sailor has arrived on Scotland Road never to leave, and many a Scouse "Jack" has left never to return.

Yet in the caverns and clubs of urban Liverpool, something extraordinary was happening. Pop culture was being born, where America led with rock n roll, Liverpool gave the world Bealtemania...it changed the city, it changed its people and it changed to world. Nowhere was this more prevalent than with the cities foremost football club. The only club to bear the name of the city, and it's beloved emblem...The Liverbird.

On a cold and damp December morning in 1959 an ex Scottish Wing Half called Bill Shankly walked into the main entrance at Anfield and changed the course of Liverpool's history. He knew what job he had on, when he famously described the place as "a kin to a toilet"! His side including greats such as Ron "The Colossus" Yeats, Ian st John and "Sir" Roger Hunt swept into Division One as Champions and a couple of seasons later were crowned English Champions. Shanks made many a great signing, but the most significant influence was to happen on him.

As Beatlemania swept all before it, the young men that gathered on the sweeping terrace of the Spion Kop would take it to there heart and into there soul. Gathering as early as 12,00 so as to get there favourite "spec", or a place in the infamous boys pen (basically a cage where Fathers would drop there youngsters off, go and watch the match with there mates, only to return at full time, smelling of Higsons pale ale to collect them!). They would pass the time by reciting the popular hits of the day, the latest Beatles or Cilla Black tune. The foreign influence on the city could also be heard, the staccatto, rhythmical clapping of Latin America and southern Europe could be heard in the "Chanting", never heard at a football ground before. If you see footage of the team winning the title at Anfield in the early 60's (vs Arsenal btw!!) you can hear it clearly.."Liverpool...clap clap clap...Liverpool...clap clap clap." This went like wild fire through the rest of English football and is still with us today, but it's inception and birth was in L4....Where Liverpool led, others followed...."Yer got yer education from the Kop" they would sing, smugly.

It was around this time that the Kop adopted its anthem, You'll Never Walk Alone. a No.1 hit for the scouse band Gerry and the Pacemakers, it was taken from the Rogers and Hammerstein musical Carousel. It's tale of strength through adversity and togertheness through the dark times, could be and epitaph to the old, standing Spion Kop. It is sung with the greatest of gusto in times of tragedy of triumph. Anyone who heard the rendition by a lone choir boy in Liverpool Catherdral after the Hillsborough tragedy is testament to that, and it reduces me to tears still. Imagine what the players sat forlorn in the bowels of the Ataturk Olympic Stadium, Istanbul must have felt when 0-3 down and there dream of European glory in tatters, when they heard 40,000 of there own belting out there, our anthem. Then imagine how Milan felt!

A BBC Panorama documentary was made to try to explain this new phenomenon....Indeed the reporter, stood on the pitch in front of the massed ranks of Kopites recalls Napoleons words about his own troops on the eve of battle..."They frighten the life out of me, god knows what they do to my enemy!"

Indeed, many an "enemy" have been vanquished over the years. Some of the greatest nights are often recalled with great gusto by older Kopites, Inter Milan in 1965, days after out first ever FA Cup triumph at Wembley were defeated 3-1 in the European Cup. The injured Gerry Byrne, broken collar bone and all, parading the Cup round the pitch ensuring Internazionale entered the collisseum to a cocophony of noise. They were told in no uncertain terms to "GO BACK TO ITALY". Or St Etienne in 1977, a late David Fairclough goal sending the place into ecstasy and the reds on the way to the glory that was Rome, this 8 year old fledgling kopite being split up from his Dad, and not being reunited until10 minutes AFTER the final whistle!!

Humour has always been prevalent, and the typical scouse wit would come to the fore. Sometimes it could be very cruel, like when the unfortunate Leeds keeper Gary Sprake mishandled the ball into his own net, when en masse the Kop regailed him with a rendition of "Careless Hands"! I am sure Gary laughed, eventually.

Along with humour, a sense of fair play and sportsmanship has always been present too....we always applaud the opposing goalkeeper, in fact two Arsenal stalwarts were always afforded a tremendous reception....David Seaman and Pat Jennings, sometimes getting a better reception than our own stopper!! Indeed Arsenal have witnessed the Kop at it's finest and most generous a few times. In past few days two magnificent Arsenal sides have left the pitch to the applause of the home fans due to the style and manner in which they defeated us. In 1989, in the aftermath of Hillsborough, Arsenal came to Anfield and defeated us 0-2. Before the game Arsenal showed there humility by bringing flowers onto the pitch as a mark of respect for the fallen of Hillsborough. This was not forgotten, in our darkest hour on and off the pitch, Arsenal were afforded a standing ovation by the entire stadium, and especially the Kop as they were presented with the trophy that we thought was ours. Indeed George Graham remarked that it was one of his greatest moments in football, and Michael Thomas was reduced to tears. The Kop also sang "Oh Rocky Rocky.." after the tragic death of the late, great David Rocastle.

And then this brings us to Hillsborough. When 96 brothers and sisters didnt come home on that fateful day in Sheffield, supporters started to gather at Anfield. When the club realised they were not going and more and more were arriving, they opened the turnstiles and let people onto the pitch. During the following days thousand and thousands of people gathered at the Kop end......The terrace became a shrine to the fallen. The flowers that were initially placed at the Kop goal mouth spread until they went over the half way line. A truly heartbreaking sight. I spent several days pounding the old terrace, mourning the death of three good friends and 93 others. I wasn't especially religious. But I knew where I had to be. It became my alter, and my place of prayer.

And so it ended....The economic depression of the 80's and the arrival of Thatcher condenmed Liverpool to the dustbin. Unemployment was rife and attendances dropped to unprecedented level. In one season as Champions were were averaging 32,000. As soon as the flowers were removed and football restarted, so the terraces were demolished. In its place came all seater stadiums, new out of town stadia, high ticket prices, Murdoch and Sky. of course this has been a force of good in many areas. With violence and racism virtually removed from grounds, and fans not being caged like animals, football is now a safer and more family friendly enviroment to watch your team

Yet it has lost part of its soul and it can never be regained.

Sometimes I close my eyes and I am back there, a 7 year old watching Stevie Heighway rampaging down the wing, crossing to the mighty Toshack to head home.....or the 15 year old, now taking his place in the middle of the Kop cheering Kenny and Rushie....Taking his right of passage, out of the boys pen and into the Kop for real...as a man!!

Then I wake up.....and it's still 3-6!!!!!

Alonso14

Any feedback is appreciated..good or bad!

Cheers

Gryphon

nice write up
maybe you can put it in the personal article section as well
I really dont know much about pool history(before 1987) so it didnt make to much sense though

alonso14

Established Member
gooner griffin said:
nice write up
maybe you can put it in the personal article section as well
I really dont know much about pool history(before 1987) so it didnt make to much sense though

I have just tried to re post it in the personal section but it wouldnt let me

Do i need priviliges for that?

Lev

hand clap ---> :clap

Very interesting, you mustv taken English in your school days. Great write up, and a good read for those who dont know about the older L'pool days

alonso14

Established Member
thanks

I got english o level and thats it

my typing is crap.....I checked this though...there are still some typo's!!!

NIPOLOPO

Established Member
Very intriguing read, but because it's very much Liverpool related article, I don't think personal column is the right place to put your article in, you should try posting it in Liverpool's Kop forum instead.

alonso14

Established Member
mmmm you see that is why I queried wether I should write this and was asked to do so by a Moderator

If I have offended anyone by posting please accept my apologies

super read mate !!

i was going to ask you how the young fans feel about the club at the moment, because they havn't seen any glory years so to speak of. no prolonged success, certainly where the league is concerned.
there is no question that the die hards like yourself and your dad were brought up on the knowledge that you were the the best team and would win things. that's not really happening at the moment. are they still as loyal or do the really young ones want to follow a chelsea, manure or arsenal that are the top of the tree domestically at the moment because they are the ones winning the trophies?

also,

where do you see the club at present. just say gerrard leaves ! is this the end of liverpool as we know it. i was brought up through the shankley ,paisley period. is there going to be a return to that type of success for liverpool ?

alonso14

Established Member
Firstly thanks for the feedback

As to your main points

Whilst we have not won the league for a while, we are still winning trophies.....in the past two seasons we have won more silverware than both Manchester Utd and Arsenal.

I dont know where you are from, but in this city you are one of two things.....Blue or red....so no-one feels the need to follow a United or Chelsea as it really isnt an option!!

There is an impatience for League success, but this doesnt happen over night and people must be patient. We cannot go and buy finished articles like Chelsea and Utd can, and we dont have the depth of youngsters like yourselves......Yet we still win trophies....We still won the European Cup in the most dramatic fashion.......The young fans have been given a taste for it and want more, in many ways Istanbul didnt help Rafa...expectation went through the roof......Unfairly....

Interestingly you mention my dad.....My dad saw us when were languishing in the second division, he is the last person to expect success!!

As for Gerrard...>He wont leave, not until he has lifted the league of that I am 99.99% certain, but if he did we move on..>we are bigger than one player, regardless of how brilliant he is..but I dont think it will come to that

RC8

Established Member
Magnificent article. One of the best I've read, and its comparable in quality to those that EIN (an ex-mod) used to write when he was arround.

That article alone deserves a promotion!
Serioiusly though, I'm touched by some of the things you wrote about, and we Arsenal fans will always hold respect for Liverpool, their history, and their fanbase. We want to beat you, yes, but if some team apart from Arsenal was going to win the league, for me, it would have to be Liverpool.

Thanks for posting that, I hope you stay around.

alonso14

Established Member
i have very similar feelings to Arsenal really...i was upset the last time we played at Highbury, it was my favourite away ground

Thanks for your thoughts and I quite like it here, so I may stop for a while :)

Alfonso

Established Member
Good post mate.

Liverpool is always going to be one of those special clubs. There is something about that 'You will never walk alone song'.

I remember watch the 2005 CL final. And when Liverpool won, all the Liverpool supporters in the stadium sang that song, it was unbelivable. As an Arsenal fan it gave me goosebumps.

I dont know if Liverpool will win the league in the next few years, but i dont think you will ever top that late 80ties side. It's all about John Barnes. Legend.

alonso14

Established Member
thats a matter of opinion (about the league)

i think we have a chance with extra investment and a bit of luck and patience

I love John Barnes,,he is one of my all time heroes, but he came at the start of the Dalglish period and really the success had been going since 1973...he signed in 1987!

Alfonso

Established Member
alonso14 said:
thats a matter of opinion (about the league)

i think we have a chance with extra investment and a bit of luck and patience

I love John Barnes,,he is one of my all time heroes, but he came at the start of the Dalglish period and really the success had been going since 1973...he signed in 1987!

I know. But imo your greatest side was the 1985-1990 side. And out of that era, John Barnes was my favourite Liverpool player.

alonso14

Established Member
it was certainly the best to watch no doubt.....

My favouritte side was the early 80's...

They could do what you wanted....beat you at football.....beat you up if you wanted a fight.....Souness, Case, Joey Jones, Then whelan.....and of course Kenny

brilliant

Arsenal Quotes

I want a fan to wake up in the morning and say, “Arsenal are playing today, I’m going to have a good time.” That guy starts his day off by thinking that something good is going to happen to him. And to do that, big clubs like Arsenal have to have the ambition to play spectacularly. Of shared happiness.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom