• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

France Vs Brazil

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Pretty dull match. Juninho looks good for France and Ronaldinho has his moments of inspiration but other then that nobody looks too bothered. Good to see Edu wearing the yellow of Brazil. Henry was unlucky with his chance in the first half. The skill was identical that of Dennis at France '98 but the ball just got away from him so he had to stretch at it with his left foot and as result sent it blazing over the bar. Wiltord missed a much easier chance after a great run from Mendy.
Boumsong is crap. He's shown me tonight why Wenger didn't sign him. BTW just in case nobody has mentioned it Arsène Wenger's in the crowd.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
ONE OF THE MOST SENSATIONAL MOMENTS I HAVE SEEN ALL SEASON ....

Henry gets the ball, france ready to counter attack with 1 against 2 - Henry against Carlos and another defender ... as soon as Henry begins his run you could hear the roar of the crowd. Henry was up against Carlos and boy oh boy it was one hell of a race !! Henry outpaces both Carlos and the other brazillian defender, he then sets up Trezeguet, who only had the goalie to beat .... but he screwed the shot wide .... :x

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Trezeguet's having an off night but Henry's run was scintillating. So typical of the most exciting player in world football. Full-time 0-0.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Overall I think Brazil were the better side but it wasn't the most exciting game. The French defence looked very susceptible tonight.

Sammer

Established Member
Here´s my 2cents to that game:

Leaving Micoud at home for the Euro 2004 is a great risk and utterly stupid imo. The french team looked kind of uninspired without Zizou and we all know how badly they missed him in the WC2002.

Pires was the best player on the pitch for France (closely followed by Zizou) - hope that secures his spot with that strange coach Santini.

Coupet has to be the french No1. Every time I see him play, he his secure, confident and nearly faultless. Great keeper. Leave that clown Barthez at home !

brianfrance

Established Member
Sammer said:
Here´s my 2cents to that game:

Leaving Micoud at home for the Euro 2004 is a great risk and utterly stupid imo. The french team looked kind of uninspired without Zizou and we all know how badly they missed him in the WC2002.

Pires was the best player on the pitch for France (closely followed by Zizou) - hope that secures his spot with that strange coach Santini.

Coupet has to be the french No1. Every time I see him play, he his secure, confident and nearly faultless. Great keeper. Leave that clown Barthez at home !

You're so exact :(
Kapo isn't an inspirated player. Micoud is ! He deserves his place there...
As you said France without Zizou, is..not France ! I think Santini want to do like Jacquet at the WC98. Just for remember, Jacquet took Christophe Dugarry, one of the most hated player in France (because he's a star -beautiful guy, yes..- but not a great striker). Everybody wanted Tony Vairelles or Anelka. And everybody were angry for that !! Dugarry has scored the first goal in the WC for France against South Africa !! How wonderful for Jacquet, I remember him and dugarry with these "revenge eyes" after the goal. This is one of the reason of the WC98 Legend here now.
I'm sure Santini, as Marlet is his friend, want to do the revenge for the 30 years old striker who doesn't have the recognition he deserves (for Santini hey, this is not my opinion)

Well, not a great match, but I was very very pleased :
Zizou form, seems to be OK for Euro
Zizou-Bobby agreement on the mildfield : 19.9/20
Viera-Makelele agreement : No problem, 2 world class defensive mildfielder
The Wonderful run ,100% in his stye, by Mendy (but wiltord miss the goal.) Not against a poor player, but Roberto Carlos.... Nice one ! He deserves his place into the French Team, but Santini seems to prefer Jurassic defense... :lol:
Coupet performance : 100% agree with Sammer

I dislike :
Desailly - Kapo perfomance, a bit Trezeguet and Gallas, but he's NOT on the letf at Chelsea, but CB OR RB.
Somes questions for Wiltord's form. Wenger, who did the comments of the second half here, said he just need somes matches. I hope you're right Arsène !
Many many questions for the defensive system. Desailly doesn't deserve his place. Thuram will be on the starting XI without a doubt, Gallas seems apreciated by the coach (please doesn't play him on the left!) Silvestre is a very good defender, Sagnol did a good+ season as I read. Lizarazu is old, and manytimes injured, but a very good player. Boumsong won't be on the starting XI. So what Santini will use ?????? As against Nederlands, the defense is THE French problem.

I'm looking forward to see France-Ukraine at the end of the month

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
Didn't anyone else feel that Henry was a bit off-colour in this match? Those two Brazilian centre backs had him in their back pocket for the mjroty of the match. I suppose he hasn't really been firing since we clinched the title, but the French team will be looking to him to lead the line in Euro 2004, and they will be let down if he performs like that. Kind of reminded me of how he played in WC 2002.
Don't want to sound like I'm Henry-bashing, I think he is a footballing genius and great person, but that's the kind of performance I could picture him turning in in - say - a champion's league final. When things don't work for him in the first twenty minutes, he kind of loses his confidence and goes missing a bit. Does anyone else agree?

kajej

Mendy looks very promising, and guess what position he plays in: RB! Well, Wenger was watching the game let's hope he liked what he saw. I don't think he would cost too much, Brianfrance, what do you think, you've probably seen him more in the french league?

Gooner83

Henry didn't perform to his fullest.. or he would have scored a couple.

I watched the game on TV5, and he outsprinted carlos and another player up the wing.. really got the crowd going and he was loving it :mrgreen:

Gurgen

Established Member
Gazza Martinez said:
Didn't anyone else feel that Henry was a bit off-colour in this match? Those two Brazilian centre backs had him in their back pocket for the mjroty of the match. I suppose he hasn't really been firing since we clinched the title, but the French team will be looking to him to lead the line in Euro 2004, and they will be let down if he performs like that. Kind of reminded me of how he played in WC 2002.
Don't want to sound like I'm Henry-bashing, I think he is a footballing genius and great person, but that's the kind of performance I could picture him turning in in - say - a champion's league final. When things don't work for him in the first twenty minutes, he kind of loses his confidence and goes missing a bit. Does anyone else agree?

It wasn't about the centre backs, the centre backs are total crap. Henry just got a few touches wrong. Did you see him at the end of the match? He has some brilliant runs and tricks there, and it certainly wasn't his day.

Gurgen

Established Member
Yeah he did, at the end he got past 3 defenders and the 4th thought it was necessary to plant his foot in Henry's knee in a friendly.

kajej

Yep, and Henry made him look like an idiot. Lol, he asked the guy if he was crazy. Mendy also took Carlos out in a sprint.

GlasgowGooner

Only thing Mendy did was sprint past Roberto Carlos when he was flat-footed that doesnt make him class, wasn't he the Bolton RB last season btw?

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 24

Thomas Partey will leave this summer. Arsenal have multiple targets lined up to replace him [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are still in the market for a recognised #9 despite the recent good form of Kai Havertz [Fabrizio Romano]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom