• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Franz Beckenbauer Passes Away

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
What a shame. He was my Dad's second favorite player after Pele. Often times for his birthday or Father's Day I would get him the newest Germany kit which this Jamaican man proudly wore in honor of The Kaiser.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
One of the biggest legends in the sport really, what a legacy he leaves.

RIP

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
One of the greatest legends of the game. I think he was the first ever to have won the World Cup as a player (1974) and as a manager (1990).

Only Mario Zagallo achieved the same feat with his 3 World Cup titles (1958, 1962, 1970) and as a Brazil NT manager in 1994.

Coincidentally, both passed away in a space of one week or so. 🙏

What a shame. He was my Dad's second favorite player after Pele. Often times for his birthday or Father's Day I would get him the newest Germany kit which this Jamaican man proudly wore in honor of The Kaiser.
My Dad also used to say with confidence that Beckenbauer was among the best in World Cup history along with Pele and Cruyff.

There will always be a level of nostalgia, but players of those generations and up to early noughties (before Roman's money), had more flair and elegance.

Back then football was more of an art, than an industry of what we see today 😔

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
One of the greatest legends of the game. I think he was the first ever to have won the World Cup as a player (1974) and as a manager (1990).

Only Mario Zagallo achieved the same feat with his 3 World Cup titles (1958, 1962, 1970) and as a Brazil NT manager in 1994.

My Dad also used to say with confidence that Beckenbauer was among the best in World Cup history along with Pele and Cruyff.

There will always be a level of nostalgia, but players of those generations and up to early noughties (before Roman's money), had more flair and elegance.

For sure. For all the talk about older players vs today's athletes, the reality is that Pele did every piece of skill you've ever seen anyone from Maradona to Ronaldinho do in the 50s and 60s with a heavy leather ball on destroyed pitches with people trying to break his legs. The only defender of the last few decades who belongs in the same sentence as Beckenbauer was probably Maldini. Impact as a manager and player you're looking probably only at Cruyff and Zidane who compare to The Kaiser as well. We don't have those sorts of characters anymore.

Tom Mix

Zagalo did it first. He was Brazil's manager in 1970 not a player.

I never saw Zagalo as a player but I did see Beckenbauer. He was a fantastic player, classy in defence and dangerous coming forward. Very straight and fair too. The model of the noble opponent you both fear and respect but cannot hate.

We used to call him Franz Baking Powder. RIP Franz.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
I thought I read that Zagalo was still a player in 1970, happy to stand corrected.

So he won the World Cup as a manager twice then ? :applause:

Tom Mix

I thought I read that Zagalo was still a player in 1970, happy to stand corrected.

So he won the World Cup as a manager twice then ? :applause:
He must have been 39 in 1970 - read somewhere he was 27 when Pele emerged in 1958 - although we thought he was an old man! Perhaps because his hair was greying?

And pretty sure his name was being spelt as Zagalo then though now it seems to be Zagallo.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Not only was he one of the greatest, but certainly amongst the classiest as well. They don't make them like the Kaiser anymore.

Arsenal Quotes

Ian Wright was the incredible striker for whom those around him sometimes found hard to control especially the opponents. He was an extrovert, hyperactive, and had endured an extremely hard life. His playing style was instinctive, and he had that killer instinct, a player like no other.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom