• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,161,120

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Game done.

Hard work against a good Chelsea side IMO. There was a period where we were troubled, particularly when Wakefield scored. But overall, I thought we were solid mostly. Sheaf and Bielik are CMs but they had good games at CB. Maitland-Niles put in a MOTM performance, save for a couple sloppy moments he was the best player for us, closely followed by Zelalem, who looks physically more ready for the first team than he ever has before. He already has a near 6 foot frame, he's packing on the muscle now.

Our attack wasn't so hot IMO - Willock, Mavididi and Bennacer all struggled to carry the attack. Willock had 2 really good moments, but he put in quite an average display this evening overall. Nelson was our best attacker by far - making nice runs, neat flicks to advance the play and had most of our good opportunities. He was very involved today and I'm evermore impressed by his play. Mavididi did very well to score in the end despite his performance and that will do his confidence a world of good.

Special word for Dragomir whose cameo is the best I've seen him look at this level. Also have to say that Chiori Johnson is a darkhorse for us at RB. Defends tenaciously and attacks smartly. Would rather consider him as RB deputy than Maitland-Niles.

Seriously though, nobody was touching Maitland-Niles this evening. He was everywhere. He tackled, intercepted, dribbled, and passed like he belonged in the Arsenal first team. I can definitely see a breakthrough for him, and he might even make my prediction for him coming in at CM come true!

Impact

Established Member
Not sure I see any space for Maitland-Niles at CM.

Cazorla (31) Coquelin (25) Ramsey (25) Elneny (24) Wilshere (24) Xhaka (23) Zelalem (19) Reine-Adelaide (18)...

He'll have to be phenomenal to break through with that situation over the next 2-3 years.

Cazorla (31) Coquelin (25) Ramsey (25) Elneny (24) Wilshere (24) Xhaka (23) Zelalem (19) Reine-Adelaide (18)...

Cazorla (age)

Ramsey and Wilshere (question marks)

El Nenny, Coquelin (squad player, average)

Maitland-Niles talent is on par with both Zelalem and Jeff.

Plus Maitland-Niles can play on the wings and as right back.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Cazorla (age)

Ramsey and Wilshere (question marks)

El Nenny, Coquelin (squad player, average)

Maitland-Niles talent is on par with both Zelalem and Jeff.

Plus Maitland-Niles can play on the wings and as right back.
I'm not sold on the idea of Maitland-Niles as a RB. Not that I think he couldn't play the position - he looked pretty good there when I've seen him - but because it could be a massive waste of his talent and ability.

Would be interesting if he ever made that position his own, but I much prefer him in midfield, especially with displays like the one he gave tonight. Either out-wide or central.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Great to hear AMN is still going strong, the hype train is running smoothly! I'm a bigger fan of him than of Willock and Jeff, I love how much he has in his locker.

Crossing my fingers for a Xhaka-AMN partnership to have some form by the end of the season.

I'm not sold on the idea of Maitland-Niles as a RB. Not that I think he couldn't play the position - he looked pretty good there when I've seen him - but because it could be a massive waste of his talent and ability.

Would be interesting if he ever made that position his own, but I much prefer him in midfield, especially with displays like the one he gave tonight. Either out-wide or central.

Yeah but being able to play in many positions is def going to help him if he is to make it here at Arsenal.

The competition is insane. Not only trying to break through in the first team where there are many players. But also in the academy. I mean take Bennacer for example, he has talent to make and he was one of the worst players on the field today. Says a lot about how much we have improved in individual talent in the reverse and u18 team.

I think Wenger did good job this summer making space for Akpom, Maitland-Niles and Jeff to break through. Even Zelalem will be in the picture. I think this is the beginning of them becoming part of the squad!

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Great to hear AMN is still going strong, the hype train is running smoothly! I'm a bigger fan of him than of Willock and Jeff, I love how much he has in his locker.

Crossing my fingers for a Xhaka-AMN partnership to have some form by the end of the season.
Xhaka-AMN was my bold prediction in the Summer that I didn't think would come to fruition but more games like the one I saw tonight and it might have legs.

He has been my dead cert to make it since his emergence as a U21 regular. Something about his game, an incredible amount of balance, smarts, athleticism and resilience. He really doesn't have a weakness IMO, other than the youthful exuberance you could attribute to pretty much most teenage players. Clean technique also.
It's gonna be tough with the players ahead of him, but he has a lot of talent and a high enough work rate that he can hold his own.

He was really, really good tonight. Ran the midfield against a very good Chelsea team. Defended and got forward well, and used the ball superbly. Some really good tackles and interceptions in front of the defence too.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Reiss Nelson looks really comfortable at this level, I must add. Wenger is clearly bringing him slowly - but he looked up for it today. Some of his dribbles were top notch, and he gets into really good shooting positions. Has Iwobi's cleverness IMO.

@Triniboy I will try to find it. It likely hasn't been uploaded yet though.

Arsenal Quotes

When Patrick Vieira came over from AC Milan, he didn’t know a word of English. We gave him accommodation, phone, car and an English teacher. I talked to Patrick in fluent French and before a game I asked in French, can you speak a bit of English to me? Patrick nodded and replied: Tottenham are shit!

David Dein
Top Bottom