• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Are there any obvious hypocrites established yet who will take Maddison, but demand we move on Tomi as he is injury prone?

I just don't see Maddison joining, he is not the type of 8 we are looking for, similar with mount. I think it is the arsenal way to overlook what we actually need when yet another skillful number 10 becomes available.
Personally I would sign a 6 and an 8. 6 being Rice/Caicedo and 8 being Maddison. We really need creativity from midfield outside of Ødegaard

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

The comparison isn't about injuries, it's about playing time. And the point is that a player can play 2/3s of a season and still be very impactful
Arsenal's midfield has been plagued with injuries for ages. This is why I don't want players who are injury-prone from the start, like Maddison.

And I have said it before, but a player who is expected to play 66% of full minutes in a season, is more expensive for what you get from him, than a player who is expected to play 90% of full minutes.

It also disrupts the starting eleven getting fluid playing together, if a player who is bought as a starting player, is often injured.

27/38 is 71%, and his lack of game-time is likely mostly related to injuries.

There is no doubt about his skills, but I also think he might be too attacking for the LCM role next to Ødegaard.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Arsenal's midfield has been plagued with injuries for ages. This is why I don't want players who are injury-prone from the start, like Maddison.

And I have said it before, but a player who is expected to play 66% of full minutes in a season, is more expensive for what you get from him, than a player who is expected to play 90% of full minutes.

It also disrupts the starting eleven getting fluid playing together, if a player who is bought as a starting player, is often injured.

27/38 is 71%, and his lack of game-time is likely mostly related to injuries.

There is no doubt about his skills, but I also think he might be too attacking for the LCM role next to Ødegaard.
I don't disagree with any of this :)

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member

Transfermarkt has him injured for 37 days in the last 2 seasons. Even if that isn't totally correct he's played 65 PL games in the last 2 seasons. I really wouldn't consider that injury prone. A couple of seasons ago he was suffering more from injuries. But all players will have injuries at some stage.

Man City rotated their midfield so much that no midfielder had more than 28 games barring Rodri. A player who can give you 30 PL games a season shouldn't be a problem.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Transfermarkt has him injured for 37 days in the last 2 seasons. Even if that isn't totally correct he's played 65 PL games in the last 2 seasons. I really wouldn't consider that injury prone. A couple of seasons ago he was suffering more from injuries. But all players will have injuries at some stage.

Man City rotated their midfield so much that no midfielder had more than 28 games barring Rodri. A player who can give you 30 PL games a season shouldn't be a problem.
That’s the key. Rotate without dropping quality. Right now we can’t rotate vieira with anyone as he is a dead weight. Maddison can play with or without Ødegaard.

Maddison, Ødegaard,Rice, Jorginho and Partey. The problem is Arteta has shown zero ability to rotate depending on opposition. Home or away any team he has played the exact same formation while pep is master of using his squad.

drippin

I wouldn't take Transfermarkt injury history as gospel. I have the impression that there have been some injuries missing there, or the numbers are not totally correct always.

Can you explain why Leicester would play their best player for only 2105-2628 minutes per season in EPL, like they have for the past 4 years?

That 2628 minutes per season is the furthest season, so the last 3 years are even a bit worse, which is the trajectory of his game-time. Maximum is 3420 minutes in a season. It makes no sense. Past two seasons he has played about 72,5% of total possible minutes in EPL.

Even if he hasn't been injured, it's most likely related to not playing him too much, because he is injury-prone. How do you explain it?

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
That’s the key. Rotate without dropping quality. Right now we can’t rotate vieira with anyone as he is a dead weight. Maddison can play with or without Ødegaard.

Maddison, Ødegaard,Rice, Jorginho and Partey. The problem is Arteta has shown zero ability to rotate depending on opposition. Home or away any team he has played the exact same formation while pep is master of using his squad.
True. But when you have two top top quality players in each position like Pep does (well most), it's far easier to do. When you have well, basically nobody, it's hard.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It's not the injuries that would concern me with Maddison. He wouldn't be playing as much here or be as pivotal to the side as he is at Leicester anyway. That's kind of the problem though.

He's not the sort of player you sign as a starter if you want to win the PL. He's a Sp**s / Top 4 level signing, that's my issue.

Squad player / rotation would be okay but I don't think he'd want to come here if that were his role.

He's decent enough but I think he's one of the more overrated English players tbh.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

True. But when you have two top top quality players in each position like Pep does (well most), it's far easier to do. When you have well, basically nobody, it's hard.
City squad is not as big as people think. It’s that pep uses his players better than anyone. Bernardo silva rotates between cm and rw. Alvarez plays in the Haaland or kdb position. He has used 18 year old Lewis in midfield and defence. He has about 18-19 players he constantly mixes and make a balanced team out of

Then you have the defence. No one would say Ake and Akanji were top players before they went there. Akanji has played CB, lb and rb. Ake CB and LB

drippin

It's not the injuries that would concern me with Maddison. He wouldn't be playing as much here or be as pivotal to the side as he is at Leicester anyway. That's kind of the problem though.

He's not the sort of player you sign as a starter if you want to win the PL. He's a Sp**s / Top 4 level signing, that's my issue.

Squad player / rotation would be okay but I don't think he'd want to come here if that were his role.

He's decent enough but I think he's one of the more overrated English players tbh.
It's a combination of all those things.

An injury-prone player who will likely demand huge wages. That's a recipe for an overpriced signing for what you get.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
It's not the injuries that would concern me with Maddison. He wouldn't be playing as much or be as pivotal to the side as he is at Leicester anyway. That's kind of the problem though.

He's not the sort of player you sign as a starter if you want to win the PL, he's a Sp**s / Top 4 level signing, that's my issue.

You could say the same about Grealish. He went from playing every game & being the big fish at Villa, to playing the squad role at City & this season he has broken into the first 11.

I'm sure Madison would accept the rules are different at a higher level. I would be ok with him here tbh.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

No Arsenal is more of the kind of team who has no replacement or competition for Ødegaard once he gets injured cry about how unlucky they are with injuries

Saka and Ødegaard missed 1 pl game between them. If you think that is sustainable with CL football you live in dreamland. Madison is exactly who you buy if you are serious. But if you not you convince yourself vieira is adequate and cry how unlucky you are when you have to play him

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don’t think we’ll sign him, but any basis of signing him would be around him being cheaper than previously given the relegation of Leicester.

In previous years you were looking at a 60M player. Now maybe 40M.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
City squad is not as big as people think. It’s that pep uses his players better than anyone. Bernardo silva rotates between cm and rw. Alvarez plays in the Haaland or kdb position. He has used 18 year old Lewis in midfield and defence. He has about 18-19 players he constantly mixes and make a balanced team out of

Then you have the defence. No one would say Ake and Akanji were top players before they went there. Akanji has played CB, lb and rb. Ake CB and LB
Defo. His pool of 1st 11 players he uses are just of a higher calibre than ours. That's a big difference & the reason Arteta only used his 'squad' players sparingly, because the drop off was huge. You could see how the inclusions of Trossard, Jorgi, & eventually Kiwior made a big difference.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
To me Maddison falls into the Mount category. Decent player and I can see the logic in signing him but it just doesn't do anything for me.

I guess Maddison would be fairly cut price with Leicester going down. Maybe he's worth £35-40m, I don't know.

I'd like to think there were better options out there for us though.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Defo. His pool of 1st 11 players he uses are just of a higher calibre than ours. That's a big difference & the reason Arteta only used his 'squad' players sparingly, because the drop off was huge. You could see how the inclusions of Trossard, Jorgi, & eventually Kiwior made a big difference.
Yep. Their first team squad have 22 outfield players. That includes cancelo who are loaned out. Rico Lewis, Sergio Gomez left back, Cole Palmer and a kid called Esbrand. City of the top 4 has the smallest squad. Pep just doesn’t collect deadweight. We extend el neny, refuse to sell esr and extend Nelson. Then cry when we play them

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
I think the interest in Maddison is as a "Plan B" if the Declan Rice acquisition fails for whatever reason. He is a very good plan B too. He will easily cover that left side CM Mezzala role. He will chip in with a fair few goals and his link play is very good. The only question mark I have is his defensive contribution but I like his high energy game and feel he can defintely add value to the squad.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
I think the interest in Maddison is as a "Plan B" if the Declan Rice acquisition fails for whatever reason. He is a very good plan B too. He will easily cover that left side CM Mezzala role. He will chip in with a fair few goals and his link play is very good. The only question mark I have is his defensive contribution but I like his high energy game and feel he can defintely add value to the squad.
I don't recall there being any recent links or interest. Unless I've missed something ?

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
I wouldn't take Transfermarkt injury history as gospel. I have the impression that there have been some injuries missing there, or the numbers are not totally correct always.

Can you explain why Leicester would play their best player for only 2105-2628 minutes per season in EPL, like they have for the past 4 years?

That 2628 minutes per season is the furthest season, so the last 3 years are even a bit worse, which is the trajectory of his game-time. Maximum is 3420 minutes in a season. It makes no sense. Past two seasons he has played about 72,5% of total possible minutes in EPL.

Even if he hasn't been injured, it's most likely related to not playing him too much, because he is injury-prone. How do you explain it?

2468 minutes from this season isn't far off 2628 and it's better than any season of Özil's minutes bar 1. We aren't talking about Ramsey/Partey/Rosicky injury prone levels. We're talking better than Prime Özil on average.

Importantly he has 40 goals/assists in the past 2 PL seasons in a poor team. His end product is top tier. 40m is pretty cheap for a player of that level of output.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
I don't recall there being any recent links or interest. Unless I've missed something ?

We were heavily linked last season and I do still think we are "interested". The interest will be light though as we will have our prioritiy plan and fall back. I think he's just a fall back plan if Rice fails.

Arsenal Quotes

When Patrick Vieira came over from AC Milan, he didn’t know a word of English. We gave him accommodation, phone, car and an English teacher. I talked to Patrick in fluent French and before a game I asked in French, can you speak a bit of English to me? Patrick nodded and replied: Tottenham are shit!

David Dein
Top Bottom