• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

LittleMo

Alonso doesn't put anything into perspective IMO, what he's doing is beyond something you can reasonably expect from a manager. Would be like calling every manager who finished below Ranieri's Leicester a failure when we all know that was a one season wonder.

I think Xabi is class and his football is great to watch, but going "Arteta is meh, look at Xabi" is a tricky path because you aren't replicating that, he's captured lightning in a bottle.

It’s not just him though, there are managers who come in and can raise a team beyond what’s expected pretty quickly. You can see the value and impact they have straight away.

Given the large amount of money and time we’ve put into rebuilding, we are exactly where you’d expect to be. I don’t think Arteta has shown much ability to get more out of this team than anyone else would tbh with you.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Hmm what Alonso did is amazing.

Icl I don't keep up with the Bundas-liga (🫡), but how was Alonso able to topple Bayern with the relatively little spending?

Also do people that keep up with the Bundesliga think this is a one off or he's actually elite level?
Well Xabi certainly deserves a lot of credit but people should remember that Bayern were also pretty awful last season as well and shouldn't have won the league. Dortmund totally sh*t the bed in the final game and gifted it to them. Not to take any credit from what is a remarkable achievement but this hasn't been vintage Bayern in a couple of seasons now. It's not the same sort of Bayern that Klopp beat to the title.

Icl I don't keep up with the Bundas-liga (🫡), but how was Alonso able to topple Bayern with the relatively little spending?

Also do people that keep up with the Bundesliga think this is a one off or he's actually elite level?

Not even Pep did it in Bundesliga with Munchen.

Maybe Alonso is the real thing. Lets see.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka

Xabi is an elite coach but the secret to Xabi’s success is Granit Xhaka. It’s like also having an elite coach on the field.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Alonso deserves a lot of praise for what he's done at Leverkusen. One of the best debut managerial seasons in the modern era.

Let's not forget though that Bayern should really have lost the title last season if Dortmund didn't bottle it.

It's far from a vintage Bayern side as i think we saw over the two legs we played them. A few exceptional players, the rest is fairly mediocre for the standards you expect at Bayern.

Rattata

I think ultimately it comes down to Arteta installing fear into his players and putting the handbrake on when it comes to these big games. Our structured play becomes even more structured and risk averse. When there's an opening the players take to many touches and because of that the timing of the pass/run is often bad. Even if we manage to get into dangerous situations inside the box we are to nervous and lose the ball to a poor touch or a rushed pass/shot. Probably down to us rarely getting into these situations in the first place in big games.

I think in hindsight the way Arteta approached the City game had some effect on the players mentality. From the post match interviews I got the feeling the players weren't happy with drawing against City.

We were the best team in the league at that time why go there and play like Everton?

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
@Trilly is low-key acting like @Farzad Stoned after that loss, just doing it in a more dignified way, never thought I’d see the day.
Tell me how many more competitions do we have to fail in before the manager is responsible? We have collapsed now 3 years in a row. None of the young stars are progressing under this new age tosser’s project. Saka and Martinelli are worse than last year. He doesn’t know how to construct a team for the long haul. His ceiling is being a good assistant as long as he rates players with his heart and not his brain. He doesn’t win trophies but at least he has high EQ, 😂. EQ is the dumbest thing invented to placate American Karens when IQ tests told them their kids were dumb.

Farzad Stoned

Alonso deserves a lot of praise for what he's done at Leverkusen. One of the best debut managerial seasons in the modern era.

Let's not forget though that Bayern should really have lost the title last season if Dortmund didn't bottle it.

It's far from a vintage Bayern side as i think we saw over the two legs we played them. A few exceptional players, the rest is fairly mediocre for the standards you expect at Bayern.
Weakest Bayern team i can remember and the bottler still found away to lose it. It is a three man team of Harry, Musiala, and Neuer.

Farzad Stoned

It’s not just him though, there are managers who come in and can raise a team beyond what’s expected pretty quickly. You can see the value and impact they have straight away.

Given the large amount of money and time we’ve put into rebuilding, we are exactly where you’d expect to be. I don’t think Arteta has shown much ability to get more out of this team than anyone else would tbh with you.
Give any manager the talent he inherited, the money he spent, the time and authority and i guarantee you a significant number would do better than one cup in 4 years. Moyes has managed the same number of trophies and has over performed at West Ham more than Mik has at Arsenal. Kai buy shows both a stubborn manager who cant value and rate players at all; after nearly 4 years.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Listen to the way Bellingham describes Carlo here. Granted, Madrid don't have the same sort of pressure of a title drought or never having won the CL that we do but listen to that and imagine any of our players saying this honestly about Mikel.

I'm sure the players respect Tets but I doubt any of them like him.

They've seen before the fate that awaits those fall afoul of him & they know he's capricious enough to turn on them when it suits him.

He's basically Fergie but without the impressive trophy haul to :lol:

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I’m sorry but if this ends up another Wenger debate where people argue top four and CL knockouts is enough then that is peak irony.
There is a big difference between scraping top 4 on the last day behind good-ish teams and competing until the last week or two for the title behind the team that all our detractors say has the best manager in the world and a superstar team.

And CL knockouts....apart from the group stage, they are all knockouts, so what does that even mean. Or is failing to do something that the club has never managed before in its history a failure?

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Honestly if he and Edu can’t see this team lacks the technical ability to compete with the best and want to continue with their system players with good characters he might as well go. The technical base of this team is not really higher than the likes of Dortmund/Athletico. We are below the real elite
I think that this is accurate - its hardly surprising given bar the two wing wunderkids, this whole team has been built from scratch and from a starting point where people were turning us down to go to Villa and West Ham.

Getting that elite talent is the hardest bit in the transfer market, and is exactly what we need next. Rice can't be THE marquee signing of this project. We need more pace and dribbling ability in the team too.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
We lost to Bayern. A club with a fired manager.
A manager who has won the ECL and a squad mostly comprised of players who won the ECL with Bayern 4 years ago.

Bayern have struggled to retain their title because Leverkusen have been amazing, and Bayern's defence is super vulnerable on the break against pace when they go all out attack. They were never going to do that against us.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
It already has. That is the problem.

He is predictable with his tactics and substitutions.

If average football fans can notice, what do you think opposing managers see?

Even those who are out the door like Tuchel.
So predictable and easy to stop that a week ago we were top of the league with the most scored and least conceded.

Jesus, some of the takes on here....

lomekian

Essays are my thing
@LookingForEric and @Batman this time a week ago, I suggested Bayern did a job on us.

You downplayed those concerns, put it down to individual mistakes and said they aren’t that good. Here we are a week later…
Last week we shot ourselves in the foot. This week they did a job on us. Tuchel may be narcissistic pervert with the man management skills of an fish, but it is universally acknowledged that he is very good tactically.

This thread seem to be full of wild pivots between 'Bayern are cooked, we'll dust 'em' to 'Arteta is a loser who makes his players hate themselves' in the space of 12 days...

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
The players don't like Mikel thing again 😂😂

All players shower praise on him even without being asked about him specifically a lot of times. If you are gonna say that it's brown nosing or Mikel issuing death threats if you don't talk well about him, you'd be better off watch soap operas.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I think that this is accurate - its hardly surprising given bar the two wing wunderkids, this whole team has been built from scratch and from a starting point where people were turning us down to go to Villa and West Ham.

Getting that elite talent is the hardest bit in the transfer market, and is exactly what we need next. Rice can't be THE marquee signing of this project. We need more pace and dribbling ability in the team too.
I think at the highest level talent decides. You can’t expect your manager to outcoached more talented teams on regular. In the end Arteta has 170 million in the summer and spent it on Rice and Havertz and the team has gone backwards technically. But has gone up physically. He chose physicality over natural ball talent

Unless he change ways and look for more talented ball players we gonna look like we looked against Bayern last night. Bereft of real quality.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom