• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Well, look across football. There aren't many coaches who adopt original game models. So many of them are copying and idolising Pep.

Coach education is really poor right now, particularly in England

Yeah but it's natural that managers copy the most successful brand of football of the era and unfortunately Pep's style is the most effective at winning matches at the moment.

A few new managers will come along and shake things up a bit stylistically in time, I'm sure.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
But it would be great if certain usual suspects stopped putting Arteta on the a pedestal with Pep, Klopp, Wenger, SAF, etc. (until he wins something big at least).

Is anyone actually doing this though? Even the most ardent of his fans? Show me one recent example…

If anything it seems to me like it’s the outers that are comparing him to the legends. There’s a lot of “look at what legend XYZ did in his Xth season, Arteta in the mud get him out!” energy.

I’m just trying to enjoy this great run we’ve had to round off the season but instead I’m resorting to looking for a rusty old fork I can stab my eyes out with.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Look at our starting 11 recently, we really need some experience...

Raya...no trophies
White...no trophies
Saliba...no trophies
Gabriel...no trophies
Tomiyasu...no trophies
Partey...1 trophy
Rice...1 trophy
Saka...1 trophy
Trossard...no trophies
Havertz...2 trophies

... compare that to City's starting 11 ffs 😅

Guess you could say Liverpool were in the same in 2019, but they at least had Klopp who had won leagues and got to a Champions League final before he took over...Arteta is very promising and talented, but still very young compared to who he's competing against.
What about Zinchenko and Jesus?

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

It’s always been poor in England.

Correct, but I’d also point out the majority of PL coaches were not “educated in England” so idk if this some new British phenomenon.

It’s much of a muchness anyway. True innovators like Pep have never really come along that often in any era, and even systems like his are derivative, most people just aren’t old enough to remember what it’s derived from. Why was Arsène such a breath of fresh air? Because his football was pretty unique at the time, and has been since. This **** is not every day.

And as football matures it will be harder and harder to have genuinely original concepts anyway, the same way it’s getting harder to have original beats in music - at some point the canvas is just full.

GoonerJay24

Yeah but it's natural that managers copy the most successful brand of football of the era and unfortunately Pep's style is the most effective at winning matches at the moment.

A few new managers will come along and shake things up a bit stylistically in time, I'm sure.

Well that's the difference between these next coaches and previous ones.

Teams who have beaten Peps sides usually play a completely different style

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Is anyone actually doing this though? Even the most ardent of his fans? Show me one recent example…

If anything it seems to me like it’s the outers that are comparing him to the legends. There’s a lot of “look at what legend XYZ did in his Xth season, Arteta in the mud get him out!” energy.

I’m just trying to enjoy this great run we’ve had to round off the season but instead I’m resorting to looking for a rusty old fork I can stab my eyes out with.
1715848067013.png

Idk but I literally came into this thread because of the title change and me thinking “what the actual ****”. To me this alone is putting him on a pedestal.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’ve come around to thinking he’s a good manager even these days. But I still don’t like his personality and literally wouldn’t care if he left tomorrow.

I think he’s here long term and I think he’ll be considered one of the greats in due time, but it’s too early and he still has to prove himself and show that his teams are capable of winning trophies.

HattoriHanzo

My point exactly.
I support him to stay in Arsenal next season, and I still rate him to be a level below SAF, Pep, Wenger, Klopp, Ancelotti.
When he wins something big, he will go one level up in my estimation.

I haven't seen on this forum that anybody thinks that he is the same level as the legends.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

View attachment 24403

Idk but I literally came into this thread because of the title change and me thinking “what the actual ****”. To me this alone is putting him on a pedestal.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’ve come around to thinking he’s a good manager even these days. But I still don’t like his personality and literally wouldn’t care if he left tomorrow.

I think he’s here long term and I think he’ll be considered one of the greats in due time, but it’s too early and he still has to prove himself and show that his teams are capable of winning trophies.

Lmao this was @A_G taking the mick out of Mik getting that Queen Isabella award or whatever lol it’s got nothing to do with Arteta being rated 😂

Your point is right, he has done nothing to deserve being compared to legends, my point is just that no one is actually doing that to big him up.

Most times he’s compared to Klopp for example is by haters who ask why he hasn’t delivered what Klopp has. They don’t understand how him not being able to replicate what a seasoned goat contender like Klopp managed isn’t the own they think it is. The fact that he’s in the conversation is decent.

HattoriHanzo

View attachment 24403

I don't care about this at all.
This is your subjective opinion, since I believe that you don't know him personally.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Lmao this was @A_G taking the mick out of Mik getting that Queen Isabella award or whatever lol it’s got nothing to do with Arteta being rated 😂

Your point is right, he has done nothing to deserve being compared to legends, my point is just that no one is actually doing that to big him up.

Most times he’s compared to Klopp for example is by haters who ask why he hasn’t delivered what Klopp has. They don’t understand how him not being able to replicate what a seasoned goat contender like Klopp managed isn’t the own they think it is. The fact that he’s in the conversation is decent.
My point is he shouldn’t be, at least not yet.

HattoriHanzo

So what Arteta haters think about Liverpool collapse this season?
According to them, we should call Klopp and Liverpool bottlers now.
Which shows how immature and short-sighted they are.
Because Klopp is one of the best managers nowadays, and I rate him more than Pep.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

Except for the likes of @LookingForEric most of those who do don't do it outright but they insinuate it plenty enough. Dogwhistle ratings ya zimmie

sdotzdot

Established Member
Even if the thread title is a joke, it’s warranted. One of the best around and absolutely is managerial royalty.

Hope we keep him forever!

outlawz

But the level of coaching and general level is low, imo. I think if Ferguson or Wenger adapted to this era; Pep wouldn't have things this easy.

I really don't think many of you realise how low the coaching is today. How are Burnley trying to play like Ajax or Barcelona? It's madness
You have it the wrong way round. This means the level of coaching is higher, not lower. If lower league teams are setting up like Ajax or Barcelona then it means the general quality of coaching is much higher, because those tactics are advanced and require more coaching competence. It's easier to play long ball or kick and rush football, and requires less coaching skills. Playing out of the back and setting up co-ordinated presses requires far more coaching ability than hitting it up to the big man or falling back into a deep block.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 31

Arsenal are interested in Benfica CB Antonio Silva, but will have to trigger his £85m release clause to sign the 20 year old [Correio de Manha]

Youngster Charles Sagoe Jr is set for a loan spell at League One side Charlton Athletic [Online Gooner]

Arsenal have moved on to targeting Benfica midfielder Joao Neves after Martin Zubamendi indicated a preference to remain in La Liga [Teamtalk]

Liverpool, Arsenal and Bayern Munich have all made an approach to PSV forward Johan Bakayoko [Hbvl]

Latest posts

Top Bottom